Malazan Empire: I Think This is My new Favorite Line from Malazan - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

I Think This is My new Favorite Line from Malazan

#1 User is offline   FantasyAndLogic 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 05 March 2011 - 02:59 PM

This is my first read through. I've said this before; I honestly think that his books get better as you go on. Reading these books and thinking back on GotM makes me realize how much better he has become as an author, and not just from the humorous parts. The whole chapter, which was over 100 pages GODDAM!, where Gesler's, Hellian's, and Strings' squads have to escape from Y'ghatan was one of the most captivating pieces of writing I've ever read. The one complaint I do have is a feel like some of the concepts he throws out there about gods and layers of realms feels too abstract to actually make sense and comprehend sometime down the road when I get more information. Conceptualizing what a hold is and how it differs from a warren kinda has me stumped.

The quote itself though, occurs a little before the halfway mark of the book, pg553 of my paperback version with a horse rearing on the cover in front of what looks like an avalanche of snow in the background.
Iskaral Pust and Mogora are doing their usual thing, hammering insults back and forth.

"Come near me with intentions other than amorous and I'll stick you"

"Amorous. What a horrible thought-"

"What if I told you I was pregnant?"

"I'd kill the mule."

She leapt at him.

Squealing, then spitting and scratching, they rolled in the dirt.

The mule watched them with placid eyes.

The genius in the character dialogue is just so far beyond amazing. This passage had me laughing for a good half a minute while I re-read it.

Note: This is my first read of the book and only 600 pages in so no spoilers in the replies please :)

This post has been edited by FantasyAndLogic: 05 March 2011 - 03:04 PM

#2 User is offline   Shadow of Shadowthrone 

• Sergeant
  • What Bugg said.

Posted 05 March 2011 - 05:17 PM

Yeah, that bit is awesome Posted Image Iskaral Pust is a favorite character in my (Azath) house. And Y'Ghatan is a favorite setpiece/sequence.
Almost done with Dust of Dreams for the first time ...
Visit my blog of geekery, Stormsongs: slynt.blogspot.com

#3 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:Walks in the park.

Waiting till jean gets here.

Posted 05 March 2011 - 05:45 PM

yes one of the best lines by one of the best characters in one of the best books ever.

only tehol and bugg could hope to compare imho
“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#4 User is offline   T3st0 

• Recruit

Posted 10 March 2011 - 09:52 PM

Lol yeah I remember reading that passage and laughing my ass off.

Def one of my fav as well!

#5 User is offline   Lousy 

• Lieutenant

Posted 11 March 2011 - 01:53 AM

Agreed about the humor, however I've begun to wonder at this point whether it is a bit overdone. Maybe simply too much? Mind, I'm not necessarily complaining, but I am trying to picture the stories w/out all the humor SE has inserted over the course of the books to this point ... and frankly I can't decide whether they would simply be too grim w/out the humor.. or not?

#6 User is offline   Kim Bookreader 

• Recruit

Posted 11 March 2011 - 02:26 PM

The humor was one of the things that made me want to read more. I accidentally started with DoD and the conversations between Tehol and Bugg was awesome. Ofc I liked many many other things as well. I like that there are some humorous conversations as well, not only heavy conversations about the universe, gods and what not.

#7 User is offline   Sammehmander Rake 

• Knight of High House Dark
  • Interests:Internets?

Posted 13 March 2011 - 08:37 AM

hehe yeah that one had me laughing for sometime too! great characterisation those two. I'm intrigued by the mule also!!
"There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for ever should we fail- should we fall- we will know that we have lived."
— Anomander Rake

#8 User is offline   Solidsnape 

• Emperor
  • Interests:Playing Guitar/Ukulele/Banjolele, reading, music, Wing Chun Kuen, my 2 boys and my wonderful GF.
  • From good 'ol Newcastle upon Tyne.

Posted 01 April 2011 - 10:49 AM

Reading BH again. It's part a an epic re-read of BH through to TH. All this so I can read the CG in all it's glory fully refreshed.

I have to say it was an enjoyable read the first time, but now it's blowing me away.
It's everything that a book should be.
It's funny alright, but also gripping, profound, dark, gory, action packed and it's filled with the usual set of with larger than life, beautifully written and created characters.

Love it.

Funniest bits?
Helians threats of self mutilation, usually her breasts!!

Leoman smoking durhang through tittie shaped bong!! Complete with nipple!!!

Corabbs seeming hunger for psychotropic drugs!!

Too many.
Can't wait to start RG again.
"If you seek the crumpled bones of the T'lan Imass,
gather into one hand the sands of Raraku"
The Holy Desert
- Anonymous.

#9 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 01 April 2011 - 02:02 PM

One of the funniest lines/scenes in the series.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#10 User is offline   Gatekeeper 

• Fist
  • Interests:Books

Posted 01 April 2011 - 09:21 PM

Personally, BH is my third favorite book in the series.
HAIL THE MARINES!

#11 User is offline   HedgeWalker 

• Topiary Tottering
  • Interests:The complex relationship between underwear volume and personality disposition.

Posted 19 April 2011 - 02:03 PM

Concur - cackled like a nutter when I read it! And whilst knowledge of the characters only enhances the quip, it stands alone as a top gag (the long-suffering Girlfriend giggled when quoted)!

#12 User is offline   Crow Clan Baby 

• Lieutenant

Posted 19 July 2011 - 11:28 PM

Another good one:

Icarium: "...you know my mind better than I. Would that you were a woman."
Mappo: "Were I a woman, Icarium, I would have serious concerns about your taste in women."

#13 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 20 July 2011 - 12:39 AM

Yah, it's good to get the confirmation that Icarium's ol' green sundial can still cast a shadow once in a while.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#14 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 20 July 2011 - 03:50 PM

I dunno... is it worth getting laid if you never remember it afterwards...?

Oh... wait...
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#15 User is offline   Vaddon Ra 

• Fist

Posted 12 August 2011 - 09:24 AM

View PostLousy, on 11 March 2011 - 01:53 AM, said:

Agreed about the humor, however I've begun to wonder at this point whether it is a bit overdone. Maybe simply too much? Mind, I'm not necessarily complaining, but I am trying to picture the stories w/out all the humor SE has inserted over the course of the books to this point ... and frankly I can't decide whether they would simply be too grim w/out the humor.. or not?

I think it would. The humour (especially in MT and BH) made me enjoy the parts with no action a whole lot more :p I enjoy musings and monologues and dialogues about the where and hows of the mysterious of the universe however I have noticed that in SE's latest books there's a whole lot of miserable monologue moments that had me hitting my head in frustration...give me bad assitude or if not...give me tehol and bugg....ublala and iskaral. The humour gives it colour and flavour because god forbid erikson gets as grim as GRRM :p dont get me wrong I love DOD and TCG as well as the tragic early books DG and MOI but they seemed to have less mopey inner moments and more tragic events...events fine...but hundred pages of inner turmoil can bollocks. Give me humour to ease a troubled mind from too much grime and tragedy :p

#16 User is offline   Archeokat 

• Archeokat

Posted 26 August 2011 - 10:52 AM

I enjoy the humor in the diologue (only up to the end of RG first read) but I have to say that I find some of the humor throughout the whole series a bit cheesy. Notably, the end scene of MT with a certain Sea God heading inland to beat the shit out of the CG. I found that a little overdone and cringy tbh. Sometimes the delivery is just a little forced so that while the scenes are funny, there can sometimes be something achingly self concious and wink-nudge about them.

#17 User is offline   Lousy 

• Lieutenant

Posted 30 September 2011 - 06:44 AM

View PostVaddon Ra, on 12 August 2011 - 09:24 AM, said:

View PostLousy, on 11 March 2011 - 01:53 AM, said:

I think it would. The humour (especially in MT and BH) made me enjoy the parts with no action a whole lot more :o I enjoy musings and monologues and dialogues about the where and hows of the mysterious of the universe however I have noticed that in SE's latest books there's a whole lot of miserable monologue moments that had me hitting my head in frustration...give me bad assitude or if not...give me tehol and bugg....ublala and iskaral. The humour gives it colour and flavour because god forbid erikson gets as grim as GRRM :harhar: dont get me wrong I love DOD and TCG as well as the tragic early books DG and MOI but they seemed to have less mopey inner moments and more tragic events...events fine...but hundred pages of inner turmoil can bollocks. Give me humour to ease a troubled mind from too much grime and tragedy :p

Good point about GRRM, ASoIaF is some seriously grim reading, with nary a letup (if memory serves) .. but good nonetheless. Different flaves for different folks :p

#18 User is offline   Feather 

• Recruit

Posted 12 October 2011 - 12:59 PM

I giggled like a maniac when I first read that dialogue. My only problem was I was at work and now my colleagues think there is something very wrong with me. As strange as it may seem I found a lot of what Greyfrog the demon said quite funny.
First in. Last out.

#19 User is offline   Zenstrive 

• Corporal

Posted 09 March 2012 - 02:37 AM

Tehol Beddict and Bugg the "Manservant"'s dialogues are far more entertaining than Iskaral Pust and Mogora's bickerings.

#20 User is offline   CrossSide 

• Recruit

Posted 14 March 2012 - 12:58 PM

And don't forget magnificient Kruppe please! But this phrase is one the best of the series indeed, make me laugh out loud. Still curious what those donkees are :(

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users