Malazan Empire: A day out in Lunnon Towne - my thanks to SE. - Malazan Empire

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A day out in Lunnon Towne - my thanks to SE.

#21 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 28 February 2011 - 03:52 AM

View PostDutch, on 27 February 2011 - 08:32 PM, said:

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 27 February 2011 - 08:26 PM, said:

How come you use 'miles' in your post if you're from the UK?

Because they use miles in the UK? :)

I thought they used kilometers...

#22 User is offline   Thelomen Toblerone 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Team Handsome

Posted 28 February 2011 - 07:55 AM

Both. Miles is generally preferred for distances and is the main one used on street signs etc. Generally younger people use more metric and older still use imperial, but you still need to know both really.

#23 User is offline   Rorschach 

• Corporal

Posted 28 February 2011 - 08:43 AM

Wow my old login still works although someone else has stolen Hedge as a name now. Just want to say thanks to everyone for a good time and not totally rejecting me because Mezla drove Steve off by talking to him. Hope to see you all again.

Tim

This post has been edited by Rorschach: 28 February 2011 - 12:25 PM

#24 User is offline   pathos 

• Captain
  • Group: Kings of Drink

Posted 28 February 2011 - 09:12 AM

Thanks again to Hetan for organising me a book. Can't wait to get it :)

Sounds like a lovely outing...

Mezla not being able to talk to anyone does shock me though...I mean you can ask an almost stranger about his back hair situation but you can't think of anything to ask Steve? :)
You never have the same problem twice when you set it on fire

#25 User is offline   stone monkey 

• I'm the baddest man alive and I don't plan to die...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: (COPPA) Users Awaiting Moderatio

Posted 28 February 2011 - 08:22 PM

Thanks to Steve for putting up with a baying mob of his fans who then, for the most part, studiously failed to talk to him (although, given his reaction to Mezla's conversational gambits, it's probably just as well :unsure:)

Props to Toby for his encyclopaedic knowledge of Central London, including where to acquire a fantastic breakfast (a true boon to a hungry traveller...)

And thanks to the rest of the crew, and new additions, for being such fantastic company.

And finally, thanks again to Steve for these wonderful books that have brought us all together...
If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

#26 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 28 February 2011 - 08:55 PM

Despite their graciously unsuccessful efforts to poison, deafen, lose or otherwise inconvienience SE,
my deepestiest thank yous to Hetan and Mal for getting a weighty hardback signed for me.

Now if we could just get him back to Canada for a little while...
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#27 User is offline   Dag 

• Burninating poodles since 1996

Posted 28 February 2011 - 09:14 PM

I went through a minor hell to get to this signing. After just 4 hours of sleep and the usual babies-on-the-plane horror trip, I managed to get utterly lost in London. My inner compass combined with a map is usually a pretty reliable means of getting around unfamiliar cities, but they failed miserably this time, primarily thanks to some very kind and helpful Londoners (two police officers among them) who managed to confidently send me from Tottenham Court Road to Picadilly Circus, thus turning a 5 minute walk into 45 minutes of miserable running around in the pouring rain, crying, running, crying, losing stuff along the way, and arriving to the signing late, soaked and totally miserable... :) But I did get there, eventually... and everything after that was an experience to remember. :)

It was so good to see you all again and to meet new people – Messremb and Beliar (whom I have to thank once again for all the kind patience he showed with us pushing his chair around every time we went out to get the drinks). I had a great day; SE’s patience with all of us was amazing, and I am really thankful to Hetan and Mal for taking upon themselves once more the burden of organizing such a great meet-up. Finally, a special hug to Toby for getting us to that pub – I loved that place and will definitely visit it again the next time I’m in London.

I love you all! :unsure:
The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues.

#28 User is offline   stone monkey 

Posted 28 February 2011 - 09:27 PM

Oh yes... Pics!

First: apologies, I was most remiss when documenting the festivities. My excuse is that I was far more interested in the wonderful company than I was with taking pictures...

[Edit - Names to faces; left to right.]

Hetan and Thelomen Toblerone

Attached File  IMG_0223.JPG (154.14K)
Number of downloads: 3

Dag and Stone Monkey

Attached File  IMG_0222.JPG (136.87K)
Number of downloads: 1

Messremb and Sir Thursday

Attached File  IMG_0221.JPG (157.53K)

Dag (in the corner) Mezla and Tim (Mezla's friend - who was Hedge back in the day)

Attached File  IMG_0220.JPG (177.92K)

Hedge, Thelomen Toblerone, Hetan and Sir Thursday

Attached File  IMG_0219.JPG (165.76K)

Now, there were others there, Mal, Beliar, Caladan Brood and of course SE, but it would appear I didn't manage to get pictures of them. Sorry about that...

They're probably not the most flattering pictures ever taken, I admit Posted Image

This post has been edited by stone monkey: 01 March 2011 - 08:35 PM

If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

#29 User is offline   Sindriss 

• Walker of Edges

Posted 01 March 2011 - 12:40 AM

Looks good SM, could you also edit the post so that we can see which users hide behind the pictures?

I would like to know if Steve have ever tasted anything like the quorl white milk, that knocked the bb's out.

A: Nope, but I gots me a good imagination.

#30 User is offline   Dutch 

• Bridgeburner
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen, American Football, Quick Ben

Posted 01 March 2011 - 12:46 AM

Gawd, Mezla looking like a Hare trapped in headlights on a road.

And your looking very snug there SM with Dag.
Sappers have a saying, he muttered. "Wide eyed stupid"

#31 User is offline   Dutch 

• Bridgeburner
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen, American Football, Quick Ben

Posted 01 March 2011 - 10:53 PM

View PostThelomen Toblerone, on 28 February 2011 - 07:55 AM, said:

Both. Miles is generally preferred for distances and is the main one used on street signs etc. Generally younger people use more metric and older still use imperial, but you still need to know both really.

I didn't knew about the younger people in the UK, but the metric system is mostly used in mainland Europe.
Sappers have a saying, he muttered. "Wide eyed stupid"

#32 User is offline   Fid 

• Old Git of High House Muttley

Posted 02 March 2011 - 08:45 AM

Mez checking through her list of stalking questions for SE.....

TT preparing to pick a pocket or two to pay for the beers

Always good to see the gang

#33 User is offline   Griff Edur 

• Corporal

Posted 02 March 2011 - 05:15 PM

I would just like to say thank you to Steven Erikson for signing my books, and sorry that I missed the drinks after would have been nice to meet some of you guys, unfortunately I did not have the time to stop by after.
Cheers, and might see you all next time.
Posted Image

#34 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 06 March 2011 - 10:24 PM

Actually wanted to get to a signing for the last book but alas, that rat bastard work interfered again.
I'm just one lottery win away from beating that fucker.
Hetan, you cheered up what would be an otherwise boring sunday evening, as i actually burst out laughing when I read the train oversleep bit, welcome to the travel fuck up club, you and mal's t-shirts are in the post, bbq time we can regail each other with witty anecdotes about our travel mishaps and then play the best game of find our wallets ever as toby looks on innocently.

Looks like everyone had a great time, and had i been reasonably organised or not argueing weith customs in switzerland (a tale for the travel society there) i could actually have made it, and by god i woulda been fit to chat to SE, poor chap wouldnt have understood one word, but there would be no rabit in the headlights malarky from me!

#35 User is offline   stone monkey 

Posted 06 March 2011 - 11:19 PM

View PostDutch, on 01 March 2011 - 10:53 PM, said:

I didn't knew about the younger people in the UK, but the metric system is mostly used in mainland Europe.

Speaking as an older person, I was taught both the metric and imperial systems at Primary school (that's Elementary school - for you foreigners and other heathens) way back in the 70s. In general, British people of my vintage use imperial when talking about human scale things and distances and SI units when we have to calculate something or speak to Europeans. Which is one reason why we find the US insistence on using imperial to calculate things really weird - it makes life way harder than it needs to be.

This post has been edited by stone monkey: 06 March 2011 - 11:22 PM

#36 User is offline   Tremolo 

• High Fist

Posted 07 March 2011 - 08:15 AM

Hey peeps - thank you for a yet another great booze up. I really enjoyed meeting you guys. :-)

I had the misfortune of being car sick on the coach to Stanstead. I read two pages of of my newly signed copy of TCG and then had to quit when the malady hit me. That was probably the worst 80 minutes I've ever spent travelling by coach. Luckily I kept myself from embarrasing myself on the coach, but my fellow toiletteers at Stansted had the unpleasure of listening to me coughing up my full english breakfast. And I wasnt even hungover!
'We all have nukes, and we all know how to dance'

#37 User is offline   Ceda Cicero 

• Ceda of Team Quick Ben

Posted 10 March 2011 - 11:33 PM

If there was any doubt in anyone's mind that there are some truly great human beings on this board, put it to rest. A few days before the London meet up and signing and PMed Hetan to ask if she would mind terribly much getting a signed copy for my friend, Evan's birthday (some of you may recall seeing the frantic, longwinded post that followed this request.) I expected her to scoff - I probably would have. I'm not really a regular here, I'm relatively new, and for all practical purposes I'm a total Internet stranger asking her to front money for a book, lug it around, then go to the trouble of posting it for me.

She immediately and graciously said yes, and after Mal did the heavy lifting and she took the time to drop it in the mail, I was able to present my best friend with maybe the best gift I've ever given.

Seriously, you guys are the best. I can't ever say thanks enough.

Honorable mention to Brood for ALSO jumping on this right after Hetan and ALSO offering without hesitation or qualms. You guys are incredibly generous.

View PostIlluyankas, on 07 April 2011 - 08:37 PM, said:

How do you rape a cave? Do you ask, "You want to fuck, yes?" hear the echo come back, "Yes... es... es..." and get your barnacle-gouged groove on?

#38 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 12 March 2011 - 03:11 PM

My signed copy arrived today! Thanks very much to Hetan and Mal for doing this. Especially to Mal for carrying it around afterward with all the others - your biceps must be "like iron bands" now. :)

Thanks also to Trem, Toby, Mezla, STD, Stone Monkey and Dag for the little note they put inside, it will stay forever with this copy and always be treasured. Even if some of the comments were total assassinations of my good character. :p

The next best thing to being there. :p

EDIT: forgot to put in the quote from SE -

"To Sombra, Best wishes, Steven Erikson"

OK so it ain't Gothos' Folly, but it's good enough for me.

Fuck Charlie Sheen, this is WINNING! :)

This post has been edited by Sombra: 12 March 2011 - 03:28 PM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#39 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 13 March 2011 - 12:59 PM

View PostSombra, on 12 March 2011 - 03:11 PM, said:

Thanks also to Trem, Toby, Mezla, STD, Stone Monkey and Dag for the little note they put inside, it will stay forever with this copy and always be treasured. Even if some of the comments were total assassinations of my good character. :)

We're writing those notes in the picture SM posted of me where I look like a mong :)

EDIT - And shouldn't the title to this thread be "A day out in Lundin Towne"? Ho ho ho, I crack myself up!

This post has been edited by Mezla PigDog: 13 March 2011 - 01:17 PM

Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#40 User is offline   stone monkey 

Posted 15 March 2011 - 11:03 PM

Y'know; I had totally forgotten we did that. Age has really caught up with me....

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users