Malazan Empire: Embarrassed: Icarium - Malazan Empire

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Embarrassed: Icarium I'm 14 pages into my reread and feel like a tool. Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 21 February 2011 - 11:36 PM

HAHAHA sorry about that, you're right about the metaphorical cheese as you've been using it. But Dolmen used it a different way, I take it, because he also calls the spirits in Iccy's head "metaphors" when they are actually real people/souls. So what confused me wasn't Dolmen's metaphorical cheese, but rather the way you presented it differently, exacerbated because it had been a long while since I'd read your original post.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#22 User is offline   King Bear 

• Furry
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 21 February 2011 - 11:44 PM

View Postworrywort, on 21 February 2011 - 11:36 PM, said:

HAHAHA sorry about that, you're right about the metaphorical cheese as you've been using it. But Dolmen used it a different way, I take it, because he also calls the spirits in Iccy's head "metaphors" when they are actually real people/souls. So what confused me wasn't Dolmen's metaphorical cheese, but rather the way you presented it differently, exacerbated because it had been a long while since I'd read your original post.

Ah, I forgot about the first paragraph of Dolmen's post. He did refer to the ghosts as metaphors.

#23 User is offline   Tatterdemalion 

• I sneeze warrens.
  • Interests:Fantasy, cartography, creativity, finding a readership before I'm cast aside by history, roti.
  • Currently working on my Imbalance series.
    Web: joelminty.com
    Twitter: @JoelMinty

Posted 23 February 2011 - 05:06 AM

Abyss, damn you. Again. Thanks.
I had not put drowny 'Breath' and FW together. I swear I'm a SMRT person!
I again blame gaps in reading. Clued in better NOW will help me as I wind through DoD in the next month, though, and I genuinely appreciate that. Not quite enough for rep - but, you know, the thought was there.

I'd also just say this: a tired reader or skimming reader might miss reading the JHAG sentence in that tiny paragraph - a foolish act that would leave them out of it for the rest of the book. Not a writing fault at all, but a reading miscue that could cause exponential harm for that storyline. I feel like on my first read my mind went over that part like a zeppelin, latching on to nothing despite the text being clear as day (thus my "Holy shit!" exclamation that freaked my fiancee out two days ago when it all came crashing down [all but Breath])

Now. Before I have more epiphanies - besides Featherwitch, Rautos Hanavar and Taxilian - are ANY of the other voices characters we've met before?
Author of Purge of Ashes.
Sayer of "And Nature shall not abide."

#24 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 23 February 2011 - 10:19 AM

Veed is Taralack Veed, of course. My personal theory, as I mentioned in another thread recently, is that the rest are ghosts from other points in Letheras history rather than people who were killed during Icarium's visit. Sheb complains of a Hivanar that isn't Rautos, and for contextual reasons I took it to be one of Rautos's ancestors. He also mentions dying in prison and being dumped in a pile of bodies with other prisoners. I also kind of think Last, the farmer, is from a time before Letheras is a major city. I don't remember Asane getting much explanation at all except that she's an old lady who fears death.

#25 User is offline   Tatterdemalion 

• I sneeze warrens.
  • Interests:Fantasy, cartography, creativity, finding a readership before I'm cast aside by history, roti.
  • Currently working on my Imbalance series.
    Web: joelminty.com
    Twitter: @JoelMinty

Posted 24 February 2011 - 12:24 AM

Okay, I didn't notice Veed either.
Who's this Anomander Rake you speak of?
Whiskeyjack? HAVE I EVEN READ THE SAME F'ING BOOKS AS EVERYONE ELSE?!?!?

GAAAAH!
Author of Purge of Ashes.
Sayer of "And Nature shall not abide."

#26 User is offline   Blueiron 

• Acolyte of Quick Ben

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:41 AM

I'm so glad I wasn't the only one that read the whole book the first time through thinking they were real characters.:)
QBFTW!

#27 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 25 February 2011 - 05:13 AM

They were though.

#28 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Writing. Martial arts. Sport. Music, playing and singing, composition.

Posted 25 February 2011 - 10:11 AM

On my first read through I completely missed the mention of the solitary Jhag wandering alone. And was totally flummoxed at the denoument. When they all started vanishing I had no clue what was happening, which was a large contributing factor to my not really understanding what the hell was going on with Sinn, Grub, the Azath, and the whole end sequence. I finished my first read through with a look on my face that can only be described as 'moronic incomprehension'.
It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about nowadays saying things against one, behind one's back, that are absolutely and entirely true.
-- Oscar Wilde

#29 User is offline   Blueiron 

• Acolyte of Quick Ben

Posted 27 February 2011 - 09:41 PM

View Postworrywort, on 25 February 2011 - 05:13 AM, said:

They were though.

I meant in a physical sense
QBFTW!

#30 User is offline   Teblor Tea 

• Recruit

Posted 11 March 2011 - 03:03 AM

I remembered Taxilian and had the Feather Witch figured out but somehow the ghost panic had me sure it was Heboric.
I have been waiting for him to come back.
I am going to have to reread as the more I read the more I thought he was the K'Chain Destriant and they were going to meet up.

#31 User is offline   Crix 

• Recruit

Posted 21 March 2011 - 10:06 PM

yes can someone please explain to me the humans that get killed by Veed and how Breath is Feather Witch? When did that happen? I haven't re-read RG. tTH, or DoD! yet!

#32 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 21 March 2011 - 10:31 PM

View PostCrix, on 21 March 2011 - 10:06 PM, said:

yes can someone please explain to me the humans that get killed by Veed and how Breath is Feather Witch? When did that happen? I haven't re-read RG. tTH, or DoD! yet!

well, you could just read the thread... buuuUUUuuuttttt...

Iccy' big machine go ker-sploody.
Machine make lights. Suck up random people brains.
Machine empty Iccy brain. Put sucked up brains there.
One called 'Breath'. Cuz she drowned.
Empty Iccy head body with suckbrains go wandering.
Iccy get better. Make fake brain Veed person go kill sucked brains persons. Make Iccy head better.
Breath really Feather Witch. She dead but strong so brains hang out, get sucked into Iccy head by machine lights.
Breath pass Errant eyeball to Iccy, then go buh-bye.
Much ker-sploody happen.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#33 User is offline   Crix 

• Recruit

Posted 24 March 2011 - 05:05 PM

View PostAbyss, on 21 March 2011 - 10:31 PM, said:

View PostCrix, on 21 March 2011 - 10:06 PM, said:

well, you could just read the thread... buuuUUUuuuttttt...

Iccy' big machine go ker-sploody.
Machine make lights. Suck up random people brains.
Machine empty Iccy brain. Put sucked up brains there.
One called 'Breath'. Cuz she drowned.
Empty Iccy head body with suckbrains go wandering.
Iccy get better. Make fake brain Veed person go kill sucked brains persons. Make Iccy head better.
Breath really Feather Witch. She dead but strong so brains hang out, get sucked into Iccy head by machine lights.
Breath pass Errant eyeball to Iccy, then go buh-bye.
Much ker-sploody happen.

@Abyss: hahahahah you know that whole post there would make an awesome t-shirt. Thanks for taking the time in Ublala Pung styles to explain it to me. I did read the entire thread as you quite right pointed out.

Yet reading DoD for the 1st time, I recognized the names Taxillian and Rautos but could not be bothered to read RG to find out what happened to them. If I had bothered, I would have realized they died. I also missed the lone jhag wandering with a sword reference in the DoD prolouge too so my dear fellow posters, I think my application to The Dumb readers of Erikson Association Pty Ltd will finally be accepted! Yay!

Crix go buh-bye

#34 User is offline   Iron Bait 

• Recruit

Posted 21 June 2011 - 10:45 PM

I can not tell you all how grateful I am for this thread!
I just moments ago finished DOD and can count myself "in " as clued "out "for such a long time concerning the Iccy Arc. I
finally clued back in as The Veed character arrived to deal out murder like Hood's Friday night card game!
Cheers to both the enlightened and the endarkened
:lol:

#35 User is offline   Sammehmander Rake 

• Knight of High House Dark
  • Interests:Internets?

Posted 24 June 2011 - 01:57 PM

I only picked up on it towards the end of the book, certain words clicked into place, I had been reading it knowing those people had all died. and was a bit confused at that. until they became the ghosts and the actual ghost was Icarium, while Grall I believe was Icariums core awareness. well that's how I perceived it. I cant wait for my second read through. things will be so much clearer.
"There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for ever should we fail- should we fall- we will know that we have lived."
— Anomander Rake

#36 User is offline   Rhand 

• Lord of the Morning

Posted 29 June 2011 - 10:09 PM

I didn't pick up anything of it. I even thought Veed was actually killing them for real, and I also thought at the start that the ghost was Heboric. AND I read the previous books only weeks earlier.

But I'm the type of reader that skips entire sentences in passages that are really boring, which sadly Icarium's were.

This post has been edited by Rhand: 29 June 2011 - 10:09 PM

#37 User is offline   Excellence 

• High Fist

Posted 04 October 2011 - 12:23 PM

I remembered the quick paragraph of the Jahgut strolling alone in the wilderness behind them right at the beginning.

That didn't mean I knew all those souls were fake and not real. That story arc made no sense to me. Ghosts wandering around hating each other, full of bile and malice and getting killed by Veed. And then Icarium plugging himself into the mountain.

Subtlety is one thing, but you need things to make sense at the end.
If there were no smart people others wouldn't feel inadequate.

Right?

#38 User is offline   Orlion 

• Captain
  • Interests:Amontillado Tofu.

Posted 04 October 2011 - 01:08 PM

The only reason I knew it was Icarium is because I had read a post saying it in another forum. Didn't realize that Icarium wasn't a ghost, though. Lucky me, I just started a GotM re-read the other day.

#39 User is offline   Blueiron 

• Acolyte of Quick Ben

Posted 06 October 2011 - 02:40 AM

ker-sploody!
QBFTW!

#40 User is offline   Khazduk 

• Sergeant
  • Interests:Instant coffee

Posted 08 December 2011 - 01:31 PM

Where did that cheese go? I'm starving over here! <_<