Malazan Empire: Hood Spoiler Great Spot - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Hood Spoiler Great Spot Amazing Spot probably been talked about already Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 08 February 2011 - 12:41 PM

Spoiler Warning

You need to have read Dust of Dreams to read passage below otherwise you eyes will bleed because of spoiler writing, your ears will explode, your brain will melt and Abyss will set his cats on your Brain to eat the left over goo. How much red sign posted posting do you need to understand that below is a spoiler for anyone who has not read Dust of Dreams. Your blood will curdle, your skin shrivel and you will have a smell of death a deadsmell if you will!!

Foreshadowing? No. Just spoiled rotten egged spoilers.

Capiche?

Not that I have seen anything on here regarding this as there is so much to talk about in Dust of Dreams. It is Deadsmell's first meeting with the God of Death and their conversation about the God's. I will type it up below first.

Cold, alien eyes fixed momentarily upon Deadsmell, and a voice drifted into his skull. "You thought they cared."
"But - he is Fener's very own..."
"There is no bargain when only one side pays attention. There is no contract when only one party sets a seal of blood. I am the harvester of the deluded, mortal."
"And this is why you grieve, isn't it? I can feel it - your sorrow-"
"So you can. Perhaps, then, you are one of my own."
"I dress the dead -"
"Appeasing their delusions, yes. But that does not serve me. I say you are one of my own, but what does that mean? Do not ask me, mortal. I am not one to bargain with. I promise nothing but loss and failure, dust and hungry earth. You are one of my own. We begin a game, you and me, The game of evasion."
"I have seen death - it doesn't haunt me."
"That is irrelevant. The game is this: steal their lives - snatch them away from my reach. Curse these hands you now see, the nails black with death's touch. Spit into this lifeless breath of mine. Cheat me at every turn. Heed this truth: there is no other form of service as honest as the one I offer you. To do battle against me, you must acknowledge my power. Even as I acknowledge yours. You must respect the fact that I always win, that you cannot help but fail. In turn, I must give to you my respect. For your courage. For the stubborn refusal that is a mortal's greatest strength.
"For all that, mortal, give me a good game.
"
"And what do I get in return? never mind respect, either. What do I get back?"
"Only that which you find. Undeniable truths. Unwavering regard of the sorrows that plague a life. The sigh of acceptance. The end of fear."
The end of fear. Even for such a young man, such an inexperienced man, Deadsmell understood the value of such a gift. The end of fear.
"Do not be cruel with Hester Vil, I beg you."
"I am not one for wilful cruelty, mortal. Yet his soul will feel sorely abused, and for that I can do nothing."
"I understand. It is Fener who should be made to answer for that betrayal."
He sensed wry amusement in Hood. "One day, even the gods will answer to death."

Do you think Hood and the remaining Jaghuts will be on Tavore's side? I know he has to go take a punishment from his laughing dead friends but why else would this be put in the book than to let us know how both Deadsmell and Hood feel. I stopped reading on the bus on this page, at this point so that I could post this on the forum.

The first bold line struck me whilst typing this up, Quick Ben anf others made bargains with Hood, is this significant?

The second was what made me want to type up the passage. There is a lot of information in this I think..
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#2 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 08 February 2011 - 01:37 PM

Havent read DOD in a while but I vaguely remember this.

The 'I am not one to bargain with' line suggests that what he asked Paran for when QB was in the gate in BH was something extra ordinary. I get the feeling that his priests who offer themselves to him and do his bidding he has no time for in a 'im a jaghut and in an ironic way I prefer a challenge rather than mindless drones' way.

As for the second it seems more like foreshadowing for the fall of Fener than anything else. I know Fner is squatting in the Errants temple atm but he will die. They do stress in RG or DOD that he has only one last battle in him. Dont get me wrong im sure the new unburdened Hood will have a part to play with Jaghuit army of fourteen but as for it foreshadowing something huge it does seem unlikely.

To me atleast and I am in crippling need of a reread

#3 User is offline   Beliar 

• Sergeant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 08 February 2011 - 01:47 PM

View Posttiam, on 08 February 2011 - 01:37 PM, said:

To me atleast and I am in crippling need of a reread

I see what you did there lol 'Crippling' hehe - either that or I've lost the plot.

I'd have to say it would be very interesting to know if hood does decide to join Tavore, but personally i think it's going to be one big free for all.

I'm not sure anyone heading for that fight know's what side they are on, or at least the think they know but will only find out they are wrong when it comes to it.

#4 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 08 February 2011 - 02:00 PM

It was a sneaky turbo pun...

As for the free for all concept yeh ill go with that. As with the KCNR mash up at the end of DOD theres definitely a force that we cant anticipate coming or at least the scale of it. Especially with the TOR 10 pages taht weve seen that introduces alot of characters we thought we wouldnt see there given the geographical differences. Also adds nicely to ICE new 'Ball, Stick and Chair' book or whatever its called.

#5 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 08 February 2011 - 11:31 PM

While Hood's position is clearly unique, it's not so dissimilar to Jaghut in general apparently:

The game had changed to one perhaps even more perilous; he'd heard enough legends and tales of Jaghuts plying subtle arguments and poisoned gifts.
And there was a timeless saying for deceit and betrayal: dealing with a Jaghut.

This is in regards to the bargaining portion. The 'gods answering to death' part is clear foreshadowing, or at the very least building suspense.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users