Malazan Empire: Crippled Gods Magic (Series Spoilers inside) - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Crippled Gods Magic (Series Spoilers inside)

#1 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 06 February 2011 - 05:58 PM

I am confused by the Crippled God's magic. A lot of place in MT and RG, the magic is described having "tendrils" of Chaos.
Can you really control "Chaos". Would't that make the CG really powerful.

What is the god's ultimate goal? Is he trying to break his chains? Is he trying to destroy Wu? Is he just trying to create a cult, albeit a really screwed up one?

This post has been edited by nacht: 07 February 2011 - 05:17 AM

#2 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 06 February 2011 - 06:40 PM

I don't personally associate tendrils with strong control.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#3 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 06 February 2011 - 06:44 PM

First of all you should probably start by stating what kind of spoilers that are going to be in the thread in the thread description. That way people wont get spoiled if the accidentally click the thread without realising the subforum they are in.

View Postnacht, on 06 February 2011 - 05:58 PM, said:

I am confused by the Crippled God's magic. A lot of place in MT and RG, the magic is described having "tendrils" of Chaos.

Chaos can be used as a warren. This has been seen several times through out the series. Namely Hairlock and that crazy mage from RCG.

How ever it is a dangerous power that seems to always come with a price, be that your health or your sanity. Generally, it seems that unless you are very strong or very skilled you should not go anywhere near chaos because it will fuck you up.

The CG how ever is neither mortal nor normal. He is an Alien God. Whether this is what makes it so easy/beneficial for him to utilise chaos or it is rather a part of his broken aspect is not easy to guess. What ever the case chaos is destructive and so is the Crippled God.

What is the god's ultimate goal? Is he trying to break his chains? Is he trying to destroy Wu? Is he just trying to create a cult, albeit a really screwed up one?

All of the above and more... or maybe less.

DOD Spoilers!
Spoiler

#4 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 07 February 2011 - 05:36 PM

View Postworrywort, on 06 February 2011 - 06:40 PM, said:

I don't personally associate tendrils with strong control.

My theory is that the Crippled god's magic is to subvert an existing warren in some way so that it becomes chaotic.

#5 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 07 February 2011 - 06:02 PM

View PostRoger Ramjet, on 06 February 2011 - 06:44 PM, said:

First of all you should probably start by stating what kind of spoilers that are going to be in the thread in the thread description. That way people wont get spoiled if the accidentally click the thread without realising the subforum they are in.

Chaos can be used as a warren. This has been seen several times through out the series. Namely Hairlock and that crazy mage from RCG.

How ever it is a dangerous power that seems to always come with a price, be that your health or your sanity. Generally, it seems that unless you are very strong or very skilled you should not go anywhere near chaos because it will fuck you up.

The CG how ever is neither mortal nor normal. He is an Alien God. Whether this is what makes it so easy/beneficial for him to utilise chaos or it is rather a part of his broken aspect is not easy to guess. What ever the case chaos is destructive and so is the Crippled God.

All of the above and more... or maybe less.

DOD Spoilers!
Spoiler

Thanks for the reminder regarding the spoilers. I have fixed the title.

Spoiler

#6 User is offline   chaosek 

• Sergeant

Posted 07 February 2011 - 09:52 PM

I don't think the CG really has any purpose other than:

Spoiler

#7 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 08 February 2011 - 07:21 AM

Ah, found the MOI quote (completely forgot about this)

MOI
Spoiler

Another MOI
Spoiler

Loolike tCG believes in forecefully sharing his pain.

#8 User is offline   D'iversify 

• First Sword

Posted 08 February 2011 - 12:43 PM

The Crippled God is probably utilising chaos simply because all the other major power sources on Wu are taken, i.e. already aspected. Plus he's messed up enough that chaos can't really make his situation worse. Chaos might in this case be viewed as a last resort rather than, as with Hairlock and Yathengar, being used out of hubristic curiosity.
I am the Onyx Wizards

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users