• You cannot reply to this topic

Dark Souls Sequel to Demon's Souls

#721 User is offline   DeadHedge 

• Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Reading MBotF and Playing 360/PC

Posted 26 March 2016 - 08:19 AM

View PostTraveller, on 25 March 2016 - 11:15 PM, said:

There's a bonfire in a cave behind him if that helps. If you can get past him and into the cave, you can beat him from there.

I just upgraded my BBS to 15 (with my spare slab lol) and it is now awesome - it has an A for dex scaling, it has good reach, and it is sooo fast.

And then I tried out power within. Holy crap. Those guys in the forest didn't stand a chance, I cut through them in like two slashes. Seriously, that pyro is like a cheat mode. I wonder if the dragon ring extends its use?

The bellowing doesn't do anything for power within but lingering halves the HP drain rate, which is handy.

Just going round in my main killing all my npc's in preparation for going after Gwyn. Still no slab drops so given up on those for now lol.
"The wise say that as vows are sworn, so are the reaped. I found this to be true"

Prince K'azz D'avore
Founder of the Crimson Guard

xbl GT - Arai Zenko

#722 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 26 March 2016 - 09:31 AM

How many hours in are you now? I'm on 35, still with Sleath and BoC to go. I'm pretty sure I can do Archives in one go though.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#723 User is offline   DeadHedge 

• Fist

Posted 26 March 2016 - 10:05 AM

View PostTraveller, on 26 March 2016 - 09:31 AM, said:

How many hours in are you now? I'm on 35, still with Sleath and BoC to go. I'm pretty sure I can do Archives in one go though.

Faith/dex build I'm on 39 hours, just got Gwyn to do. Really should farm fir stuff before I go into ng+ but cba lol. This was my first serious run and took my time after O+S.

glass Cannon sorcerer - 10 hours in, just started dukes, not done any of other Lord souls though. Did some farming for souls for sorceries but happy with game time.

Faith/elemental melee - 10 hours just about to fight O+S. Did alot of early game stuff and have high lvl gear on him so probably shortet game time than most at this stage.

I also played about 20 hours on another character but deleted him as was way too weak at the stage I was at.

Archives are solid with magic only everything is resistant lol. Oh remember to equip a ring of sacrifice for the mandatory death to seath (equip it as you go upto the tower)
"The wise say that as vows are sworn, so are the reaped. I found this to be true"

Prince K'azz D'avore

xbl GT - Arai Zenko

#724 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 26 March 2016 - 04:45 PM

I just started playing as a refresher for DS 3, but I'm really enjoying myself. Don't know if I'll do all the little side areas like the painted world, but it's been good playing with different weapons.

DS 3 is looking really good. I was just watching some trailers. The comparisons have it a bit faster on the ps4; but overall it looks so much like DS.. there's even a Firelink. And I just read that it's not only Miyazaki that has been working on it, but the whole team that produced DS (A different team made DS 2.)
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#725 User is offline   DeadHedge 

• Fist

Posted 26 March 2016 - 06:21 PM

View PostTraveller, on 26 March 2016 - 04:45 PM, said:

I just started playing as a refresher for DS 3, but I'm really enjoying myself. Don't know if I'll do all the little side areas like the painted world, but it's been good playing with different weapons.

DS 3 is looking really good. I was just watching some trailers. The comparisons have it a bit faster on the ps4; but overall it looks so much like DS.. there's even a Firelink. And I just read that it's not only Miyazaki that has been working on it, but the whole team that produced DS (A different team made DS 2.)

If you don't mind spoilers watch rurikhan he has an advance copy and DS 3 looks beautiful. I don't have a ps4 or Xbone so not bothered about spoilers lol.

And I know I plug him too but tearofgrace is bloody hilarious although not safe round children lol

Prince K'azz D'avore

xbl GT - Arai Zenko

#726 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 26 March 2016 - 06:56 PM

View PostBriar King, on 26 March 2016 - 06:43 PM, said:

Where is Seath? Far from me in Darkroot atm?

Oh yes. He's one of the four Lords you need to slay, after you reach Anor Londo.

Go find the Moonlight butterfly. She drops the soul you can later use for the Int scaling sword.

Try rolling.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 26 March 2016 - 06:56 PM

#727 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 26 March 2016 - 07:11 PM

Briar King, as you get a little deeper into the game, I'll start dropping back story nuggets that you can connect into larger pieces. Some of this stuff is real subtle and fun to know. Right now, it may seem like you're going around in weird ass places with no connections, but it's really linked up and full of history.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#728 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 26 March 2016 - 08:21 PM

View Postamphibian, on 26 March 2016 - 07:11 PM, said:

Briar King, as you get a little deeper into the game, I'll start dropping back story nuggets that you can connect into larger pieces. Some of this stuff is real subtle and fun to know. Right now, it may seem like you're going around in weird ass places with no connections, but it's really linked up and full of history.

Some of the lore is only found in the descriptions of certain weapons and items. The game lets you piece it together.

#729 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 26 March 2016 - 10:39 PM

Whose going to tell him?

#730 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 26 March 2016 - 11:12 PM

BK there's a reason that area is good for farming.

Go down the steps, and run to the log near the cleric - straight ahead. Dodge the sorcerer. This should get all three chasing you. Run back to the steps, but go round the right side by the cliff.

At least two of not all will run up the steps, jump over you, and fall off the cliff. You can then go to the bonfire, rest and repeat. Sometimes one won't follow, or will land next to you - if they do, just stand with shield up, back to the wall. When he (usually cleric) hits you he just bounces off the edge.

You can use this or not, but you can farm a shitload of souls in very little time like this if you wish.

Or go past the stone knights and get the butterfly boss.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 26 March 2016 - 11:15 PM

#731 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 27 March 2016 - 05:23 AM

Yeah, you will never have to worry about capping out if you play like a normal human being. That being said, anything after 50 in a category is a very small bump up.

The big souls cost for each level increment at that range makes this tougher than you'd think.

#732 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 27 March 2016 - 07:48 AM

Just keep an eye on your stats when you level; keep going when they're leaping up in twos or threes, and stop when they're only going up by one or not at all. Most stuff levels out around 50.

Butterfly is past the stone giants. Hit the tree on the right as you first enter that wooded area for a hidden path.

If you follow the cliff on the left through the big door you opened, you get to a stone arch that leads to a new area.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 27 March 2016 - 07:52 AM

#733 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 27 March 2016 - 11:04 PM

Hang on to that butterfly Soul!

Got back from work late, put DS on and beat Seath, Firesage, Centipede and BoC in one run. Didn't spend any time collecting or exploring. Seath I got on second go, and BoC took maybe five or six - mostly trying for the right side second.

The BSS, two handed, took care of Seath in no time.

#734 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 28 March 2016 - 03:40 AM

Before you go, what was your reaction to being punched by a giant mushroom?

#735 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 28 March 2016 - 04:27 AM

View PostBriar King, on 28 March 2016 - 03:44 AM, said:

Kinda speechless. I saw the little ones not bothering me and then the big ones in a pond and I had an insane idea they might be NPC's I could talk to...

What's the deal with the cat in window?

HAHAAAA regarding the giant mushroom punch.

Alvina is the cat in the window. She's a leader of a covenant (Forest Hunters). If you join it, it's mostly invading/partnering with other Forest Hunter invaders to kill the host player for rewards. Sometimes the invasions flip between 2 vs 2, 2 vs 1 or 1 vs 2. Once in a while, you'll get someone who is role-playing a character with specific costumes and weapon usage - those are usually very fun.

Forest Hunter is not my favorite covenant, but a ton of people who like player vs. player duels love this covenant.

I went with the Dragon covenant because it was so esoteric and weirdshit that I liked the strangeness of it.

#736 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 28 March 2016 - 06:07 AM

I don't think you've gotten the game well enough to enjoy online Dark Souls. From what you've said, you have that level in other games you've spent more time in. People get real, real good at this game.

There's a guy who beat the game as a Level 1 naked player (no armor) with no bonfire lighting beyond the ones necessary for the story to progress. The level of dodging and parrying for that kind of play is nearly otherworldly. There was a guy who beat the game while rigging a Guitar Hero guitar controller to do half of the moves. He couldn't block or heavy attack or turn left.

I ain't that good either. So I mostly play offline too. But it is fun to invade and be invaded in most situations (where the players aren't 100% hardcore about winning and like to play around). There's also been invaders or people I've invaded who gave me gifts or I to them. I don't know how this dynamic of gift giving evolved because most of the time, there's no chat, but a huge chunk of people still really respect each other in this game and don't insult/gank each other.

I dunno. Dark Souls just works (for me at least).

This post has been edited by amphibian: 28 March 2016 - 06:09 AM

#737 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 28 March 2016 - 06:44 AM

I don't pvp or invade or anything, but I love the online mechanic.

I like the messages. I like seeing how other people died - more useful on first play, especially the messages that show hidden areas. And best of all, that point where you find a remote bonfire, and as you sit down you see another player sitting there, in different armor with a weird weapon you haven't found yet, doing the same.

And through the undead burg, whenever the church bell rings, you know another player has beaten the Gargoyles. So much more subtle than chat.

The main thing you miss from playing offline BK is the ability to co-op a boss with another player. Summoning someone, using the gestures to communicate, then sharing a boss fight is really satisfying in a different way, and can be really helpful if you're stuck and getting frustrated.

Or, putting down your own sign. Getting summoned into someone else's fight gives you space to learn the bosses moves so you can solo it after; or gives you the satisfaction of helping someone else out after you've defeated it.

Online, there's just a general feeling and awareness of others treading the same path.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 28 March 2016 - 06:47 AM

#738 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 28 March 2016 - 07:45 PM

Anyone here played a 2d dark souls inspired platformer called Salt and Sanctuary?

#739 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 29 March 2016 - 12:40 AM

No tail. You should get to the Hydra soon, because I think that if you go into the Depths and Blighttown, you'll won't like it as much and that'll be just as you put the game down for the other game.

#740 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 29 March 2016 - 09:24 AM

Gwyn is proving harder than I remember. Managed to parry him twice but I think I'll need at least four to beat him unless I think of another strategy. It was getting late and I was being impatient which never helps in a souls game.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 29 March 2016 - 09:24 AM

Share this topic:

• 57 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

34 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 34 guests, 0 anonymous users