• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Dark Souls Sequel to Demon's Souls

#681 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 23 March 2016 - 04:12 PM

View PostBriar King, on 23 March 2016 - 04:02 PM, said:

Elevator to Fire Link! Awesome how everything starts to meld together on map.

It really is. You now have a real shortcut, and you can use it to move from firelink to the boss up on the church roof.

(I'm at work, and someone just asked what games I play. When I said I was playing DS again, they had to admit to giving up on it fairly soon. DS is my game version of Malazan - I can talk about it here, but I don't know anyone that has played it, let alone completed it.)

This post has been edited by Traveller: 23 March 2016 - 04:17 PM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#682 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 23 March 2016 - 04:20 PM

I know four people who played it. One quit. The rest got hooked.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#683 User is offline   DeadHedge 

• Fist
  • Interests:Reading MBotF and Playing 360/PC

Posted 23 March 2016 - 04:28 PM

Originally I quit the game, but I went back to it and I'm hooked.

BK what you will find now that you have found the way round the game, if you start a new character you can get to the first 'main' boss within an hour or less. I's currently recommend not levelling any more at the moment as the mobs you are against give really low souls to make grinding a chore, so I'd focus on upgrading weapons and armour. You can farm Titanite shards off the Balder knights, they also drop on of the best Dex scaling swords in the game, so if you are doing Dex the Balder side (swag) sword is awesome.

use the keeper's soul at the lady as it increases the healing value of your flasks.

This post has been edited by DeadHedge: 23 March 2016 - 04:29 PM

"The wise say that as vows are sworn, so are the reaped. I found this to be true"

Prince K'azz D'avore
Founder of the Crimson Guard

xbl GT - Arai Zenko

#684 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 23 March 2016 - 04:40 PM

Whose playing the Prepare to Die version? In my haste I forgot about the dlc, and have the vanilla original. I think I can buy the dlc from the ps store though - I can't miss out on Kalameet.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#685 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 23 March 2016 - 05:14 PM

There's a ladder. Go get 'em.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 23 March 2016 - 05:15 PM

#686 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 23 March 2016 - 06:07 PM

Out off to the right of the church, there is a walkway to another building where the blacksmith resides. You can go to him now because there's a bonfire above him, then go back for the gargoyles and exploring the tip top of the church.

Make sure you explore all of the church, including freeing the prisoner on the second floor.

#687 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 23 March 2016 - 06:32 PM

I wonder what happens at firelink if you don't free Lautrec.

BK, that bonfire is well worth kindling.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 23 March 2016 - 06:33 PM

#688 User is offline   DeadHedge 

• Fist

Posted 23 March 2016 - 09:17 PM

View PostTraveller, on 23 March 2016 - 06:32 PM, said:

I wonder what happens at firelink if you don't free Lautrec.

BK, that bonfire is well worth kindling.

If you don't free him before ringing the bell he is freed automatically and sits in front of the firekeeper.
"The wise say that as vows are sworn, so are the reaped. I found this to be true"

Prince K'azz D'avore

xbl GT - Arai Zenko

#689 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 23 March 2016 - 09:31 PM

The bell gargoyles are the next boss. Did you talk to the guy in firelink much? You have to ring two bells - the first is behind those gargoyles.

The run to the four kings is driving me crazy.

#690 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 23 March 2016 - 09:50 PM

View PostBriar King, on 23 March 2016 - 09:22 PM, said:

Is Bastard sword a better version of claymore or just a long sword with wide blade?

Different movesets for both. Bastard sword has slightly better stats, but doesn't have the stab attack with two hands strong attack. I think it goes overhand smash instead.

The comfort level you have with the individual movesets will lead you to an answer as to which one you like better. The zweihander is also pretty good.

I know this is kinda Ace Ventura 2 medallion will lead you to the answer, but your comfort is more important than a few points of damage.

#691 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 23 March 2016 - 10:52 PM

View PostBriar King, on 23 March 2016 - 10:23 PM, said:

Fucking gargoyles are pissing me off. I even summoned that dude to help on my 2nd time but my Estus didn't work upon press so I died. 3rd time that dude wasn't there. :) fire pinned me down.

Just try and concentrate on that first one - once he's out of the way, you can hit the other one from the side while he sprays fire.

(Get behind the first and you can chop his tail off, which helps)

This post has been edited by Traveller: 23 March 2016 - 11:25 PM

#692 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 23 March 2016 - 11:32 PM

Managed to farm enough chunks in New Londo to upgrade my halberd to +15 - it's doing huge damage now with the dex scaling. Added bonus was getting a slab from a darkwraith, so I've got a spare.

Killed four kings with it, then went to find a balder side sword, since I'm primarily a dex build, and haven't used one before. It's not bad, but I wish it wouldn't hit the ground and spark on every swipe - it looks like I'm handling it badly! Fast sword though, I'll need to test it some more.

#693 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 24 March 2016 - 01:09 AM

You need to be human to summon Solaire and the other summon allies later encountered in the game.

#694 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 24 March 2016 - 01:52 AM

Solaire is one of the more popular video game characters out there because his lines/dialogue and AI/programming paint a picture of a good person who genuinely helps you in these tough fights.

There are some other summoned allies that are almost as good. But later on in the game, we will tell you not to do a summon ally for 4 Kings.

#695 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 24 March 2016 - 03:58 AM

Stay away from the edges, dangit. This is your second time getting knocked off?

#696 User is offline   DeadHedge 

• Fist

Posted 24 March 2016 - 07:59 AM

View PostTraveller, on 23 March 2016 - 11:32 PM, said:

Managed to farm enough chunks in New Londo to upgrade my halberd to +15 - it's doing huge damage now with the dex scaling. Added bonus was getting a slab from a darkwraith, so I've got a spare.

I HATE YOU!! I have farmed Darkwraiths for hours and never got 1 slab drop lol,

BK, keep at it with the gargoyles. As you are a magic toon, get Solaire/Lothrac (depends if you summon 1 or both) to melee and just sit back and use magic. If you feel so inclined you can actually have the summons beat the boss on their own lol.

What type of armour are you wearing and what's your current equip load? If you are in heavy, I'd recommend changing to light armour as being a mage you need to be very mobile.

As Amp said there are some bosses that you don't want to summons for, the next one will be the Gaping Dragon in the Depths as it bumps his health up to stupid values.

You sound like you are still having fun though. On your next toon I can guarantee you will make it to the Gargoyles in quick time and you will find you will be much lower level.

Prince K'azz D'avore

xbl GT - Arai Zenko

#697 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 24 March 2016 - 08:25 AM

View PostDeadHedge, on 24 March 2016 - 07:59 AM, said:

View PostTraveller, on 23 March 2016 - 11:32 PM, said:

I HATE YOU!! I have farmed Darkwraiths for hours and never got 1 slab drop lol,

Heh. I was quite surprised - I was just starting to get annoyed as I'd made two trips and not had a single drop after an initial couple of chunks. And then there it was! I still had to go back for another chunk though so I could use the slab.

BK- you're in the boss hate zone - as soon as they drop you'll be like 'so what's next?'

Yeah go light and use a fire resistant shield - dragon crest should do it. Poke poke roll.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 24 March 2016 - 08:26 AM

#698 User is offline   DeadHedge 

• Fist

Posted 24 March 2016 - 04:22 PM

Dragoncrest is a boss shield for sure, I love it and am currently using on my knight. In fact all of the Crest shields are pretty awesome for medium shields. Good stability (can take multiple hits without stagger) and can have good defence, to top it off all bar from the Grass one have 100% physical block, with each having a 'specialty' for other resistences.

Got to O+S on my knight, got beat twice then summoned Sunbro for some decoy action, got Smough down easy then got Orn down to the 'magic pixel of health' and should have got the shot in easy, missed with my claymore and I died :). Will have to go at it again tomorrow. Its my own ffault tbh as I want Orn's armour and the ring otherwise I'd kill him first lol.

I'm finding this pure melee build fun and challenging as I am used to throwing fireballs or spells at stuff rather than tanking through hits. So far I use 1 spell (Heal) and I have a pyro glove but it hasn't been equipped as I refuse to use power within. (although may use for O+S if the piss me off enough)

I may get my discovery to 410 and go farm chunks and slabs shortly as I am wanting to max some weapons and armour soon that will come in really handy. Whether to do before or after O+S I have yet to decide as my +14 Claymore seems to only tickle the buggers (does stagger S after 3 hits though)

Oh and Traveller, I still hate you for getting the Slab drop lol

Prince K'azz D'avore

xbl GT - Arai Zenko

#699 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 24 March 2016 - 04:46 PM

Slab drop is lucky indeed. A friend of mine was gifted like 40 by a hacker and never understood how rare those things were.

#700 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 24 March 2016 - 04:57 PM

View PostDeadHedge, on 24 March 2016 - 04:22 PM, said:

Dragoncrest is a boss shield for sure, I love it and am currently using on my knight. In fact all of the Crest shields are pretty awesome for medium shields. Good stability (can take multiple hits without stagger) and can have good defence, to top it off all bar from the Grass one have 100% physical block, with each having a 'specialty' for other resistences.

Got to O+S on my knight, got beat twice then summoned Sunbro for some decoy action, got Smough down easy then got Orn down to the 'magic pixel of health' and should have got the shot in easy, missed with my claymore and I died :). Will have to go at it again tomorrow. Its my own ffault tbh as I want Orn's armour and the ring otherwise I'd kill him first lol.

I'm finding this pure melee build fun and challenging as I am used to throwing fireballs or spells at stuff rather than tanking through hits. So far I use 1 spell (Heal) and I have a pyro glove but it hasn't been equipped as I refuse to use power within. (although may use for O+S if the piss me off enough)

I may get my discovery to 410 and go farm chunks and slabs shortly as I am wanting to max some weapons and armour soon that will come in really handy. Whether to do before or after O+S I have yet to decide as my +14 Claymore seems to only tickle the buggers (does stagger S after 3 hits though)

Oh and Traveller, I still hate you for getting the Slab drop lol

Mwah ha ha! Yeah got lucky there I guess, didn't even know they dropped slabs.

I found that uberstein was much easier than supersmough. I've always ended up fighting smough at the end, and he's a pig, but ubersteins moveset seemed limited - easy to sidestep.

Four kings were not really a problem once I went totally against my build, and stuck full Havel gear on, with grasscrest shield and mask of the father. Didn't even need to dodge much - and there's loads of time to heal.

Never used power within - probably because I usually skip that whole area of blightown and never pick it up.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 24 March 2016 - 05:53 PM

Share this topic:

• 57 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

41 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 41 guests, 0 anonymous users