Malazan Empire: Jade slashes > linked to the Crippled God? - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Jade slashes > linked to the Crippled God?

#1 User is offline   bonzihunter 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 31 January 2011 - 04:44 PM

Ok, I knew that I had read something somewhere that made me think that those jade slashes in the sky were linked to the Crippled God. And, it's been a while since I read some of the previous books, but I'm pretty sure that those jade slashes correspond to Heboric's visions of giant jade statue-like beings hurtling through space in previous volumes such as DG. Correct? Anyway, I was reading through the encyclopediamalazica this morning and came across this little gem from TtH:

Crone circled the edge, fixing one eye then the other on the strange apparition swirling above the enchanted dais. The power of the High Alchemist's sorcery was as sweet and intoxicating as the pollen of d'bayang poppies, but that which came from the demon was foul, alien – yet, the Great Raven knew, not quite as alien as it should be. Not to her and her kind, that is.

"You are bold," she said to Baruk, who stood facing the dais with hands folded. "And the reach of your power, and will, is most impressive."

"Thank you," replied the High Alchemist, squinting at the demon he had conjured and then trapped. "Our conversations have been … most enlightening. Of course, what we see here is not a true physical manifestation. A soul, I believe, disconnected from its corporeal self."

"With eyes of jade," Crone noted, beak opening in silent laughter. She hesitated, then asked, "What has it told you?" ...

....."Its flesh is very far away indeed. I was granted an image of the flesh – a human, as far as I could tell, which is in itself rather extraordinary. I was able to capture the soul due to its heightened meditative state, one in which the detachment is very nearly absolute. I doubt the original body draws breath ten times a bell. A most spiritual individual, Crone."

The Great Raven returned her attention to the apparition. Studied its jade eyes, its jagged traceries of crackling filaments, pulsing like a slowed heart. "And you know, then," she said.

"Yes. The demon is from the realm of the Fallen One. His birthplace."

So, seems to be quite conclusive to me that the jade slashes / Heboric's giant jade statues = Baruk's summoned demon from the Realm of the Crippled God. Therefore, those jade slashes descending in the night sky that we hear so much about throughout TtH and especially DoD are actually beings from the Crippled God's homeworld... coming to save/free him possibly?

I'm sure somebody has mentioned this "theory" (more of an observation at this point really) before but I haven't seen it in the forums so there it is. What do you guys think?

#2 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 31 January 2011 - 04:54 PM

Just a FYI whilst I remember, some more speculation on the Jade Statues...

http://forum.malazan...showtopic=17354

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#3 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 31 January 2011 - 05:17 PM

There's the reverse motive that they are coming to kill him. It is said that the CG was in a war in his own realm.

What I found much more interesting in the quote is that there are humans in other universes. The humans in the Malazan Universe are evolutionary offshoots of the Eres'al and Imass. So, where did the CG universe humans come from?

#4 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 31 January 2011 - 06:52 PM

there's also the possibility that heboric is somehow going to wield the otataral dragon against the jade slashes, like some kind of dragon-bat.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#5 User is offline   bonzihunter 

• Recruit

Posted 01 February 2011 - 01:05 AM

View PostSinisdar Toste, on 31 January 2011 - 06:52 PM, said:

there's also the possibility that heboric is somehow going to wield the otataral dragon against the jade slashes, like some kind of dragon-bat.

lol. And somehow Steven Erikson, being the masterful and poetic writer that he is, would find a way to make that seem incredibly cool! :)

#6 User is offline   bonzihunter 

• Recruit

Posted 01 February 2011 - 01:06 AM

View Postchampooon, on 31 January 2011 - 04:54 PM, said:

Just a FYI whilst I remember, some more speculation on the Jade Statues...

http://forum.malazan...showtopic=17354

Ah thanks Champ! Interesting stuff

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users