Malazan Empire: Stonewielder Kindle Edition - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Stonewielder Kindle Edition How I hijacked it from amazon.co.uk Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Mrjaco12 

• Mr. Jaco
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 20 January 2011 - 05:30 AM

I was raging pretty hard, because I had determined to buy most, with the exception of my most favorite series, of my books on my Kindle from now on. This includes the ICE Malazan novels (but I do have copies of all the Erikson books IRL). I've been wanting to read Stonewielder, but as many of you know, despite being released two months ago in the UK, the US release is not for another four months. Hence my raging. Finally the Kindle edition was released in the UK and I immediately popped over to buy it, happy to finally be able to read it. Alas though, my joy was short lived. Apparently Kindle books sold on Amazon.co.uk cannot be purchase by residents of the United States. Slack jawed and teary eyed, I focused my unbelieving eyes upon the screen in search of reasons and answers.

Fear not! This is not the place where I whine that I was unsuccessful and beg the assistance of my fellows. NO! Far from it. Human ingenuity triumphed once again this day.

Under the manage my Kindle section, I chose to switch my address. I changed my address to:

Buckingham Palace
Buckingham Palace RD
London SW1A 1A

Then I proceeded to successfully purchase the desired gem and immediately switch my address back to the former, less royal, American address. Rejoice with me now as plunge into yet another glorious Malazan tale. At least until I get distracted by its soon-to-be-arriving Bigger and still more glorious Brother.

I just thought you all might like to hear the story. Carry on.

This post has been edited by Mrjaco12: 20 January 2011 - 06:43 PM

Love, Hugs, and Kisses. Mr. Jaco

#2 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 20 January 2011 - 06:03 AM

Is that the uncle from Withnail and I in your avatar too?

Uncle Monty: "Tell him if you must, I no longer care. I mean to have you even if it must be burglary."
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#3 User is offline   alt146 

• Here comes the Strongbad!
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 20 January 2011 - 07:15 AM

View PostMrjaco12, on 20 January 2011 - 05:30 AM, said:

I was raging pretty hard, because I had determined to buy most, with the exception of my most favorite series, of my books on my Kindle from now on. This includes the ICE Malazan novels (but I do have copies of all the Erikson books IRL). I've been wanting to read Stonewielder, but as many of you know, despite being released two months ago in the UK, the US release is not for another four months. Hence my raging. Finally the Kindle edition was released in the UK and I immediately popped over to buy it, happy to finally be able to read it. Alas though, my joy was short lived. Apparently Kindle books sold on Amazon.co.uk cannot be purchase by residents of the United States. Slack jawed and teary eyed, I focused my unbelieving eyes upon the screen in search of reasons and answers.

Fear not! This is not the place where I whine that I was unsuccessful and beg the assistance of my fellows. NO! Far from it. Human ingenuity triumphed once again this day.

Under the manage my Kindle section, I chose to switch my address. I changed my address to:

Buckingham Palace
Buckingham Palace RD<br style="padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; ">London SW1A 1A

Then I proceeded to successfully purchase the desired gem and immediately switch my address back to the former, less royal, American address. Rejoice with me now as plunge into yet another glorious Malazan tale. At least until I get distracted by its soon-to-be-arriving Bigger and still more glorious Brother.

Unless you were tunneling through a UK proxy you are probably going to get a mail from Amazon soon asking you to confirm your UK residence or change your address. Failure to comply usually results in your account being frozen until such time as you do. At least that's what happens if you buy from Amazon.com's US store from outside the US, I don't see the UK store working differently.
[url="http://www.alt146.zzl.org"]MafiaManager[/url]: My Mafia Modding tool - Now at v0.3b

With great power comes a great integral of energy over time.

#4 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 20 January 2011 - 11:40 AM

And this is one of a number of reasons why you don't buy a Kindle... Amazon are great for getting cheap books and dvds (well, great-ish) but their rights management is as user-friendly as the RIAA's.

On the other hand, if it works, bravo!

This post has been edited by caladanbrood: 20 January 2011 - 11:41 AM

O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#5 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 20 January 2011 - 01:14 PM

It was accidentally released in the US back in November, but it looks like it's taken down now. I was pretty pumped when I found out; I downloaded the Kindle version while I was waiting forever for my copy to ship.

I plan to use your tip for TCG though. Hopefully the Kindle version of it will be out on the regular release date.

#6 User is offline   alt146 

• Here comes the Strongbad!
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 20 January 2011 - 05:59 PM

View Postcaladanbrood, on 20 January 2011 - 11:40 AM, said:

And this is one of a number of reasons why you don't buy a Kindle... Amazon are great for getting cheap books and dvds (well, great-ish) but their rights management is as user-friendly as the RIAA's.

On the other hand, if it works, bravo!

Amazon's rights management is pretty fair - you're allowed to download a book as many times as you like, so long as it doesnt exist on more than six devices at the same time. The only headache is international release rights, which is enforced very strictly by the publishers. Ebooks could easily flatten the printed book market, especially in international territories. If I could get my books at UK prices on UK release dates I would probably spend most of my money at amazon instead of my local bookstores. The publishers know this and have actually embargoed online stores that dont adhere to their pricing and distribution schemes. As much as I wish this wasn't the case, Amazon is doing pretty well considering the limitations and is working as hard as possible to try get rights for books as early as they can.
[url="http://www.alt146.zzl.org"]MafiaManager[/url]: My Mafia Modding tool - Now at v0.3b

With great power comes a great integral of energy over time.

#7 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 20 January 2011 - 07:57 PM

View Postalt146, on 20 January 2011 - 07:15 AM, said:

Buckingham Palace
Buckingham Palace RD<br style="padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; ">London SW1A 1A

Unless you were tunneling through a UK proxy you are probably going to get a mail from Amazon soon asking you to confirm your UK residence or change your address. Failure to comply usually results in your account being frozen until such time as you do. At least that's what happens if you buy from Amazon.com's US store from outside the US, I don't see the UK store working differently.

Can anyone else confirm this? I was really counting on getting the UK Kindle version of TCG.

I guess we can wait and see what happens to the TC.

#8 User is offline   Mrjaco12 

• Mr. Jaco

Posted 20 January 2011 - 10:21 PM

My understanding is that Amazon will seek confirmation if the address is changed several times rapidly or changed and never unchanged. I've talked to several people on the Amazon forums and most have had no real issues. The keys seem to be changing your address back to your original address quickly and not abusing the loophole. I will be sure to post here if I do run into any further issues or if I get a confirmation request, but it has already been several days. Also, this loophole is still working in Amazon's favor, so I doubt they will be in a big hurry to fix it or punish people who use it until the publishers catch on and start complaining/removing products from the site.

Also, yes. That is the uncle from Withnail and I. Although that picture is of him playing the Uncle in Harry Potter.

This post has been edited by Mrjaco12: 20 January 2011 - 10:22 PM

Love, Hugs, and Kisses. Mr. Jaco

#9 User is offline   Ellestra 

• Lieutenant

Posted 24 January 2011 - 12:26 AM

I didn't have slightest problem with buying Kindle edition of Stonewielder from amazon.com. I tried first at amazon.co.uk but it told me I can't and that I should use my local Kindle store and then redirected me to amazon.com and then I was able to buy it (for $14.92). However, I bought it at the end of November and now it says it's not available to US residents so maybe I managed to get it before the location restriction kicked in.
Evolution, just like gravity, works even if you don't believe in it.

Stupidity doesn't hurt but it kills.

#10 User is offline   Punchy Pete 

• Assassin

Posted 28 April 2011 - 05:29 AM

I got the note after buying another book from the Kindle UK store (I'm in Canada). But I first changed to a U.S. address (thought it was available in U.S., it was not) then a U.K. address, so that might have triggered the question. I quickly changed back to my Canadian address and have not heard another word. And I still have the book I bought. And the e-version is STILL not available in Canada. It's The Ragged Man by Tom Lloyd. That's frustrating... Don't these guys get that they will eventually drive people to torrent sites pulling stunts like this?

#11 User is offline   CelticaDea 

• Recruit

Posted 17 May 2011 - 12:39 AM

Buckingham Palace
Buckingham Palace RD
London SW1A 1A

Does anyone know an actual US release date for the kindle version? The post mentions "four months" which has passed. The print has been out for some time now (hardcover last year & paperback last week) but no US Kindle yet. :( Kindle will really frustrate me if I can't get the new releases for my series in a reasonable time frame.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users