Malazan Empire: DIY Thread - Malazan Empire

• 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

DIY Thread if you build it, they will come!

#181 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 14 June 2020 - 03:07 AM

Treat yo self.

Just think how much easier it'll make that job.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#182 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 14 June 2020 - 08:29 AM

A guy on the internet told me to buy it honey, I have to

#183 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 14 June 2020 - 06:45 PM

A guy from the internet knows how important these counter tops are to your future home together and just wants them to be perfect.

There ya go.

#184 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 14 June 2020 - 07:54 PM

If she is planning on staying with you for any length of time in that place (and I'm assuming she is) then neatly cut countertops are exceedingly important. And you can always sell any tools when you realise you shouldn't have spent money on them.

Do it!

My DIY has consisted of some epic vegetable growing this year. I grow everything from seed myself. We have had our house about 6 years now. Previous years I've spent a lot of winter and spring flattening ground, demolishing sheds, building beds etc. Mr PigDog doesn't give a toss about the garden so it's all my own work. I bought some dungarees and a straw hat this year to complete the look. I hadn't planned on wearing them together. Tried it out today. Yep, I look like a total dick.

This post has been edited by Mezla PigDog: 14 June 2020 - 07:55 PM

Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#185 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 14 June 2020 - 09:52 PM

We stoned our driveway today, need to beat the hedges back a bit at the entrance and possibly put one of those convex mirrors on the tree opposite, but should be able to park the car up at the apartment soon

#186 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 15 June 2020 - 11:49 AM

Pulled the trigger on a SIP 01332 cast iron top 10" saw.

Should be with me by Friday

#187 User is offline   Anomander 

• Wielder of Dragnipur
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 15 June 2020 - 01:21 PM

You won't regret the purchase I'm sure. Also, going back a bit thread wise, the cabinets are looking good! I particularly like the custom hood fan fitted to the sloped ceiling, I'm a big fan of the look compared to the futuristic/modern metal and glass ones.

My home is currently undergoing extensive work as well. Our building is a 3 story condo complex built in the 80s, my fiance bought a place on the top floor during her university days and I moved in a few years back. Lovely place but our unit and the common area elements have needed a refresh for some time. Thankfully new building management has been on top of maintenance and scheduling work as needed. Old differed maintenance from previous management bit us in the ass this winter though and we had a huuuuge leak through some faulty brick work. The original builders decided to use brick from Ontario (central Canada) for the entire exterior envelope and it was not made to deal with ocean weather (for reference we're in Nova Scotia and maaaybe a 5 minute walk from the ocean). So it's been crumbling at an accelerated rate the last 2-3 years and we were scheduled to have our exterior wall and chimney completely re-bricked come Spring. Naturally the freeze and thaw cycle was insane this winter and during a big storm in late December things went sideways. Turns out we had a small leak coming in under the floor that broke free completely during the storm, our floors throughout the unit were fucked entirely to say nothing of water damage to the drywall and trim work.

Fast forward to today where we are finally almost done brick work! Covid put a nasty wrench in getting trades on site so there have been massive delays in getting to this point. We've been holding off on renoing the interior of our house until the brick was done (we made sure everything was dry and there as no mould of course) but now things can kick into high gear. Plans so far include: full replacement of all flooring, redoing all drywall and trim work on exterior walls, and repainting the whole unit. We've also decided to remove a dividing wall and gut the kitchen since we figure might as well get 'er done now with everything already torn open. The missus is thrilled of course, since buying the place she's become a red seal chef and the kitchen is currently atrocious. Thankfully the stores began reopening here last week so we can finally start appliance and flooring shopping.

No photos of the current inside mess but here's one of the brick work scaffolding:

Attached File  Scaffolding.jpg (126.32K)
Number of downloads: 0
And so the First denied their Mother,
in their fury, and so were cast out,
doomed children of Mother Dark.

#188 User is offline   Thelomen Toblerone 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Team Handsome

Posted 16 June 2020 - 08:32 PM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 14 June 2020 - 07:54 PM, said:

My DIY has consisted of some epic vegetable growing this year. I grow everything from seed myself. We have had our house about 6 years now. Previous years I've spent a lot of winter and spring flattening ground, demolishing sheds, building beds etc. Mr PigDog doesn't give a toss about the garden so it's all my own work. I bought some dungarees and a straw hat this year to complete the look. I hadn't planned on wearing them together. Tried it out today. Yep, I look like a total dick.

I can't stand gardening yet seem to have to spend half my life these days cutting stuff back and bitching about it - anything I've ever tried to grow has died miserably!

Today I sprayed my hedges with pesticides to get rid of a box caterpillar moth infestation. Damn I got old.

#189 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 16 June 2020 - 09:07 PM

View PostAnomander, on 15 June 2020 - 01:21 PM, said:

You won't regret the purchase I'm sure. Also, going back a bit thread wise, the cabinets are looking good! I particularly like the custom hood fan fitted to the sloped ceiling, I'm a big fan of the look compared to the futuristic/modern metal and glass ones.

My home is currently undergoing extensive work as well. Our building is a 3 story condo complex built in the 80s, my fiance bought a place on the top floor during her university days and I moved in a few years back. Lovely place but our unit and the common area elements have needed a refresh for some time. Thankfully new building management has been on top of maintenance and scheduling work as needed. Old differed maintenance from previous management bit us in the ass this winter though and we had a huuuuge leak through some faulty brick work. The original builders decided to use brick from Ontario (central Canada) for the entire exterior envelope and it was not made to deal with ocean weather (for reference we're in Nova Scotia and maaaybe a 5 minute walk from the ocean). So it's been crumbling at an accelerated rate the last 2-3 years and we were scheduled to have our exterior wall and chimney completely re-bricked come Spring. Naturally the freeze and thaw cycle was insane this winter and during a big storm in late December things went sideways. Turns out we had a small leak coming in under the floor that broke free completely during the storm, our floors throughout the unit were fucked entirely to say nothing of water damage to the drywall and trim work.

Fast forward to today where we are finally almost done brick work! Covid put a nasty wrench in getting trades on site so there have been massive delays in getting to this point. We've been holding off on renoing the interior of our house until the brick was done (we made sure everything was dry and there as no mould of course) but now things can kick into high gear. Plans so far include: full replacement of all flooring, redoing all drywall and trim work on exterior walls, and repainting the whole unit. We've also decided to remove a dividing wall and gut the kitchen since we figure might as well get 'er done now with everything already torn open. The missus is thrilled of course, since buying the place she's become a red seal chef and the kitchen is currently atrocious. Thankfully the stores began reopening here last week so we can finally start appliance and flooring shopping.

No photos of the current inside mess but here's one of the brick work scaffolding:

Attachment Scaffolding.jpg

Mate, you're re building an entire house there. Oof on so many levels. On the flip side, it'll be exactly as you want it and up to code too.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#190 User is offline   Anomander 

• Wielder of Dragnipur
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 17 June 2020 - 12:10 AM

It really is just shy of a full to-the-studs reno. I keep thinking of it as separate tasks and try not to focus on the whole for my own sanity. The big help is that I can do my own architectural drawings (drafter by trade) and come from a family of tradesmen. I'm also going to sub out things like cabinet installation and potentially flooring (depending on what we go with).

Does anyone here have much experience with polished concrete floors? It's an option we're considering as our subfloor is a concrete slab in good condition. My fear is that it will be a nightmare to do while living here (if not impossible?) and possibly very expensive. The upside is they would look amazing and be more durable if we rent out our condo down the road.
And so the First denied their Mother,
in their fury, and so were cast out,
doomed children of Mother Dark.

#191 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 19 June 2020 - 08:55 PM

table arrived tofday

have ti mostsly assumbled.

sooooooooo

excited

#192 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 02 June 2021 - 07:44 PM

Something I made to order for someone.
I'm classing this as my first proper commissioned sale, made from scratch a there's one thing off my years targets list!!!

Attached File  IMG-20210530-WA0030.jpg (90.25K)

Attached File  IMG-20210530-WA0027.jpg (110.47K)

Attached File  IMG-20210530-WA0028.jpg (79.41K)

The shelf and bench top are elm, a lovely piece to work with.

Will get a few photos of the kitchen this weekend, since the last thing I posted here was the empty carcasses! Kitchen finished

#193 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 07 June 2021 - 03:08 PM

Started our outside decking at the weekend.
Didn't get as much done as I wanted, it's farming season so all go on that front when I'm home as well

#194 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 07 June 2021 - 04:52 PM

That bench looks good Mac.

I’ve literally got every project around the house on hold since works so crazy. It’s awful.

Share this topic:

• 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users