Malazan Empire: DIY Thread - Malazan Empire

• 10 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

DIY Thread if you build it, they will come!

#1 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 16 January 2011 - 09:58 PM

I couldnt find my I built a bar thread, but my god I have made some stupid threads.

anyway, I've been doing a bit of joinery in the new house and I'm quite proud of some of it, considering its been built out of pallets and plywood thats been borrowed from the site.

please bear in mind my camera and photography skills are somewhat wanting

anyhow, I give you the pallet bench!
Attached File  WP_000030.jpg (240.31K)
Number of downloads: 2

everything else is dirty plywood (thank god for sand paper)
A wash basket:
Attached File  WP_000006.jpg (234.38K)
Number of downloads: 0

The tv cabinet type thing:
Attached File  WP_000003.jpg (236.99K)

and the current pride of place (possibly to be superseded next week by a desk) the chest of drawers:
Attached File  WP_000051.jpg (310.37K)

Attached File  WP_000045.jpg (314.64K)

and without the drawers in
Attached File  WP_000041.jpg (177.86K)

Anyone else build much shit?

This post has been edited by Macros: 16 January 2011 - 10:00 PM

#2 User is offline   Captain Beardface 

• Mason of Serc
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Rugby, Darts, Quality Beer, Heavy Metal... Hard Rock in general

Posted 17 January 2011 - 12:17 AM

I can design that shit out of most things but my execution leaves a lot of room for inprovement. That stuff looks great considering the raw material used.
Monsignor:...Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.
Connor: [as the brothers exit the church] I do believe the monsignor's finally got the point.
Murphy: Aye.

Boondock Saints

#3 User is offline   rhulad 

• First Sword

Posted 17 January 2011 - 03:00 PM

I'm just about finished putting a bathroom in my basement, just need to install the toilet this upcoming weekend. I haven't built anything like a shelf or desk in ages but probably will be in the coming month as I continue to gut and rebuild said basement.

#4 User is offline   temp 

• temp

Posted 19 January 2011 - 12:34 AM

Here's my recent project...made out of red oak. panels are plywood with oak veneer.

Attached File  02_Edit.jpg (29K)

Attached File  03_Edit.jpg (27.66K)

Attached File  04_Edit.jpg (42.7K)

Attached File  05_Edit.jpg (46.37K)

Attached File  08_Edit.jpg (48.92K)

Attached File  10_Edit.jpg (47.07K)

Attached File  11_Edit.jpg (51.92K)
The price is wrong bitch!

#5 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 19 January 2011 - 10:09 AM

That looks awesome! I wish I had the space to make stuff, I really enjoy that sort of thing, but it's just not possible at the moment.
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#6 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:beer, party.

Posted 19 January 2011 - 12:48 PM

@temp

I dig that project! Very nice.

Personally not a fan of oak...The big broad grains never seem to sand flat and I don't find they take stain evenly enough for my taste. Not knocking your project at all though cause it looks awesome -- to each his own with choice of wood. I usually go with some manner of softwood just cause I like the look of it more and I find stuff like pine and hemlock age to a nice colour. Most of the furniture I've built has been special purpose stuff like fishtank stands and gun racks. Never tried a large finished project like a coffee table or bench.

Here's the yard box I just built last week. My uncle was giving me shit for keeping my lawnmower in the basement saying things like "you gotta keep em outside in the cold or the rubber seals will dry up and it'll be fucked! Get that thing the fuck outside right now" .....except he says fuck a lot more than that . I had to tone it down for the forum.

From zee outzide

Attached File  box2.jpg (67.13K)

From zee inzide.

Attached File  box1.jpg (70.54K)

And a lock under the little rubber flap on the front to keep the dumber thieves away from it.

EDIT - so proud. After putting it out last night, it's been rained, freezing rained and snowed upon. Inside is bone-dry. Sweet.

This post has been edited by cerveza_fiesta: 19 January 2011 - 12:50 PM

........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#7 User is offline   temp 

• temp

Posted 19 January 2011 - 06:23 PM

thx!

@Cerveza: my old man got tired of his machines...so he gave it all to me...now, my basement looks like grade 8 shop class. Unlike my grade 8 shop teacher, I still have all 10 fingers. New to woodworking though really, it's my new hobby so learning as I go...I've only worked with oak so far, mainly cuz I wanted the bench to match the railing of the stairs. ...but I did like how the oak soaked in the stain and made the grains in the wood get that darker colour. Yeah, I can see how that may not be want you want sometimes, and you're right, you can't get that glass-like finish with oak.

next stop, I want to experiment with walnut, a darker wood. maybe maple, birch etc. I don't have a shortage of projects to choose from...for some reason my honey-do list keeps getting longer. geez, there's no satisfying women I say...all they ever want is more!

#8 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 19 January 2011 - 06:28 PM

Holy shit temp that's awesome!
I assume you have the full rack of tools then, im gonna have to seriously raise my game. Aa router is on the shopping list though, hand saw, planer and sand paper can only take me so far.

started the desk last night, made the two pieces for the top, they don't match together perfectly, bit I'll be damned if im gonna take the time to try and get the joint 100% with sand paper.

@temp, I don't know the proper names for the fancy joints, but what did you use to taper in the ends so they slot together for, I assume, gluing?

#9 User is offline   temp 

• temp

Posted 19 January 2011 - 07:22 PM

@Macros
thx man. yeah, I got lots of toys now. got a new 12-inch planer for x-mas but haven't really used it yet. For the bench project, I used table-saw/router-table, band saw, drill press, and a belt-sander...and glue.

The joints were all mortise and tenon and glued together. The tenon's were made with a router bit. The mortises...well, I had this old chisel jig thing for my drill press...but I couldn't get the stupid thing to work right, so I drilled bunch of holes in a row to get started, then used hand chisel to make the mortises.

yeah, you'll have fun with a router if you get one.

#10 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 19 January 2011 - 09:12 PM

I dont think our one car garage over here would fit a 1/4 of the kit you just listed, nor would the lads let me set up shop, they cry about the mess enough as it is :unworthy:

if I get more work at home though mums car is definately being relegated to the street so I can set up a proper hobby shop.

Looking at the impressive array of power tools and other bits you have at your disposal my bench jealously has subsided a bit, my weapons of choice are a fine grade handsaw, a rough metal file, sandpaper and my cordless drill for screwing shit together. And a measuring tape obviously.
When I say choice I mean necessity, don't need any wood work tools for work so the hand saw was a real treat for myself :)

#11 User is offline   Binder of Demons 

• Lord of Light
  • View gallery
  • - Thread Killer -

Posted 20 January 2011 - 05:42 AM

Awesome stuff guys. I look forward to seeing what ye come up with in the coming months. If funds allow, i think i'll try and get a hand planer since the electric ones are way too noisy and i don't have a workshop.

I've been wanting to do a few projects using only recycled woods, so Macros, your pallet and plywood furniture is inspiring.

I've seen some pretty cool guidelines for projects like these online, and one of the most common for reusing pallets is an Adirondack style deck chair which look pretty cool.
http://www.instructa...irondack-Chair/
The above link is an example. I've seen much nicer ones, but you get the idea.

And here is a link to far more impressive stuff. Hopefully i will get to make at least one of these designs this year.
http://www.treehugge...e-in-brazil.php

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain

Never argue with an idiot!
They'll drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!
- Anonymous

#12 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !

Posted 20 January 2011 - 12:44 PM

View PostBinder of Demons, on 20 January 2011 - 05:42 AM, said:

Awesome stuff guys. I look forward to seeing what ye come up with in the coming months. If funds allow, i think i'll try and get a hand planer since the electric ones are way too noisy and i don't have a workshop.

I've been wanting to do a few projects using only recycled woods, so Macros, your pallet and plywood furniture is inspiring.

I've seen some pretty cool guidelines for projects like these online, and one of the most common for reusing pallets is an Adirondack style deck chair which look pretty cool.
http://www.instructa...irondack-Chair/
The above link is an example. I've seen much nicer ones, but you get the idea.

And here is a link to far more impressive stuff. Hopefully i will get to make at least one of these designs this year.
http://www.treehugge...e-in-brazil.php

Those are some good projects. It can be tough to find recycled pallets that are in good enough, unwarped, non broken condition (and haven't been left outdoors for an age) to use for that kind of work, but good luck. A good place to look is your local metal scrapyard. A business called "best metals" handles most of the metal scrap from my city, but they also sell everything from used RR ties to pallets to basically anything else that's worth money. They're usually a pretty low-margin business so they grab stuff like pallets cause they're easy to handle and make a quick buck off of.

I saw a cool DIY project (can't find the website atm) where a guy was building air-dry kilns for lumber out of old pallets. They're perfect for the sides since they block the majority of rain/snow while allowing good air flow to dry the lumber.

Other guys made full height baby barns by stacking pallets 2 high on their side (for walls) and filling in the gaps with pieces from broken pallets. Put a basic pitched roof on it and the result is a rustic looking shed for tools, mowers, gas jugs, etc... A coat of paint and it will last you years, at a fraction of the cost of building it out of lumber and some kind of siding.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#13 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 20 January 2011 - 08:55 PM

head to your nearest building site, wait for a delivery, ask them for the pallets that the stuff came on, most are dumped and a surprising amount come on spanking new pallets

#14 User is offline   Binder of Demons 

• Lord of Light
  • View gallery
  • - Thread Killer -

Posted 21 January 2011 - 08:16 AM

I just went to my local supermarkets and asked them if they had any spare pallets. I found that they regularly throw out the cheaper pallets, and were happy for someone to take them away. The better quality wood pallets are typically only rented, and so they won't give those away. Also, they have been treated petty heavily with chemicals and so aren't really viable.

So my plan is to gradually collect as many as i can, strip them down, and see how many decent planks i can salvage. Then i'll figure out what type of furniture i can make.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain

Never argue with an idiot!
They'll drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!
- Anonymous

#15 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !

Posted 21 January 2011 - 12:40 PM

Get a biscuit cutter. Those things are prime for gluing boards on the thin-edge to make wider planks out of a bunch of narrow ones.

What type of wood are the palletts made out of in NZ? All of ours are spruce, fir or some other cheap-ass softwood...which doesn't always look the best even if you finish it.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#16 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 24 January 2011 - 08:11 PM

desk has been placed into the games room/office.
Still need to drop two cable holes through the top but that's not a massive one as we haven't got a socket wired over to it yet.

I'm reasonably happy with it considering the massive fuck up I made in its construction.
actually bought some timber for the frame, I found the next day that there was similar stuff being skipped on the site, bloody rippin
still the joiners had 2 full sheets of 12mm ply extra so that was the facing and shelves sorted, got a decent cutting of 18mm for the top.
the other sheet will make some drawers for one of the other lads. great times

made it 900 high not even thinking that that was the kitchen counter height, desk heights are 750. Had to take the front and side off to take 150 off, managed to chop the shelves down still in place though.
Can't decide if I'm going to make drawers or not.
Pictures coming, needa find my phone lead again
Attached File  WP_000053.jpg (452.18K)

Attached File  WP_000054.jpg (458.51K)

Attached File  WP_000055.jpg (431.85K)

This post has been edited by Macros: 24 January 2011 - 08:22 PM

#17 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !

Posted 25 January 2011 - 12:45 PM

nice work

and nice slippers!
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#18 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 25 January 2011 - 02:52 PM

homer slippers are the shit

#19 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !

Posted 25 January 2011 - 03:28 PM

I want to construct myself a desk of the same type, except way bigger.

I had a desk while doing my Master's degree that was L-shaped, except the main (front) part of the desk was basically a full-sized desk. The side part had a dropped area to hold the printer down out of the way and there were 3 file drawers in it - 1 on the L piece underneath the printer and another 2 under the main part of the desk.

So great to work at with a nice reclining high-back chair. Main help is having the file drawers right in your desk so you don't even have to get up to file shit. Anything that makes filing more difficult for me (like having to get up) always ends up creating a horrendous pile of paper on my desk.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#20 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 25 January 2011 - 07:39 PM

room size dictated the small desk, would prefer.slightly larger but it'll do.
When I get home I'll be trying something proper nice instead of function first

Share this topic:

• 10 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users