Malazan Empire: Number of Characters - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Number of Characters I remember them all... Dont you?

#1 User is offline   A Demon Llama! 

• First Sword
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 16 January 2011 - 04:19 AM

I was wondering how many characters there really are in these god forsaken books, so I chose to look it up. According to this trusty wikipedia list I calculated there to be around 629 characters.

So, anyone who was wondering this is the approximate number, unless theres a better numbered list somewhere.
No Touchy.

#2 User is offline   Jake 

• Corporal
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 16 January 2011 - 04:25 AM

That list is incomplete. That is godly.

#3 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 16 January 2011 - 08:04 AM

You could probably add at least a hundred to that list with ICE's characters, as well as the authors in the chapter headers. That is a fantastic effort though, would have taken a long, long time.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#4 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 16 January 2011 - 03:40 PM

I've been keeping a list of characters listed in all the dramatis personaes but I don't have it handy at the moment. I want to say it's closer to 1000 but I don't remember. RotCG had a huge list. Will let you know on Monday.

I've also been trying to keep track of which books they've all been in, but I'm sure my list is incomplete for characters who made it into a dramatis personae in a later book, but had minor appearances before. It also gets a little hazy in some places: for example, Bult's ghost made a brief appearance in one of the books (TB or RotCG I don't remember) - does that count?

#5 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 17 January 2011 - 03:16 AM

imo, ghosts should still be one character, but the ghost character would be in parentheses. pour example (and spoilered cause this is general books forum):

Spoiler

edit: oh damn, but then there's hedge and dead hedge... would that be two?

This post has been edited by Sinisdar Toste: 17 January 2011 - 03:17 AM

There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#6 User is offline   A Demon Llama! 

• First Sword
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 17 January 2011 - 03:20 AM

A complete list you say? That's pretty interesting. I wouldn't mind taking a look at that. In my opinion, characters that make an appearance one or twice shouldn't be included. Some ferryman aint important enough to remember if you got 1000 others to worry about.

Edit: i always looked at hedge and dead hedge as the same person

This post has been edited by A Demon Llama!: 17 January 2011 - 03:23 AM

No Touchy.

#7 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 17 January 2011 - 03:33 AM

The list on the wiki is over 700, but includes a few doubles (ie shadowthrone and kellanved). It probably doesn't include characters from SW, either.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#8 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 17 January 2011 - 04:19 AM

D, on 17 January 2011 - 03:33 AM, said:

The list on the wiki is over 700, but includes a few doubles (ie shadowthrone and kellanved). It probably doesn't include characters from SW, either.

Not that I can see, or RotCG or NoK, perhaps because they aren't technically MBotF books. Still, this list doesn't feature Aragan or the Seguleh 2nd. Total fail.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#9 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 17 January 2011 - 04:19 PM

Okay I have 817 characters, and only characters that have appeared in a dramatis personae. There are bound to be some errors here as to which books characters have appeared in, especially with all the marines.

https://spreadsheets...=en&output=html

#10 User is offline   Tatterdemalion 

• I sneeze warrens.
  • Interests:Fantasy, cartography, creativity, finding a readership before I'm cast aside by history, roti.
  • Currently working on my Imbalance series.
    Web: joelminty.com
    Twitter: @JoelMinty

Posted 18 January 2011 - 06:07 AM

I dig this! Always wanted to make it.
I remember when I was 9 or 10 making a 'characters from Wheel of Time' list, clocking in at 410 I thought that was IN-SANE!
Also, about 100 of them were cookie-cutter Aes Sedai - although I suppose lots of these characters are 'regulars,' aka Malazan soldiers of name but little description.

Are Skintick, Arathana and the rest of Nimander's lot not mentioned or 'in' Reaper's Gale or Bonehunters at any point? Or House of Chains for that matter? What about the epilogue bit where Clip comes to collect them in RG? Not sure, just throwing it out there.

Also: Phaed is in HC but Nimander is not? Neat!

Now what you need to do is organize alphabetically and qualify each as a 'type' - Malazan, 7 Cities, T'lan Imass, Jaghut, etc. so we can get some solid stats on this :p

Obviously, I nominate you to do this (though alphabetically is super easy)
Author of Purge of Ashes.
Sayer of "And Nature shall not abide."

#11 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 18 January 2011 - 07:35 AM

Tatterdemalion, on 18 January 2011 - 06:07 AM, said:

Are Skintick, Arathana and the rest of Nimander's lot not mentioned or 'in' Reaper's Gale or Bonehunters at any point? Or House of Chains for that matter? What about the epilogue bit where Clip comes to collect them in RG? Not sure, just throwing it out there.

They're not mentioned but they're there, all seven of them - Nimander, Phaed, Skintick, Nenanda, Aranatha, Kedeviss and Desra.

See the tallest one there, with the long white hair. His name is Nimander Golit. And that pretty woman beside him, that’s Phaed, his first daughter. All seven of ’em are cousins, sisters, brothers, but it’s Nimander who leads, since he’s the oldest.

Also: Phaed is in HC but Nimander is not? Neat!

Again, not mentioned by name, but he is nevertheless there.

#12 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 18 January 2011 - 02:33 PM

Yeah it's hard for me to say since I've only read the series once. That's why it was so hard to adjust the list retroactively. I'm not sure where I got the idea of Phaed being mentioned in HoC, since I don't have electronic versions on the books.

Also I recently added Urfa to RotCG because D'rek (user) said she was in it. I couldn't confirm it though.

Also note that Sorry (Apsalar) is marked down for RotCG, but maybe I should take her off since there's some dispute over that.

For names I used the first name to be listed in the Dramatis Personae. That's why you have "Sorry" and "Toblokai." I tried to stick to certain rules. If they weren't mentioned by name or description I didn't include them, but "all seven of them" is good enough for the group of Tiste Andii. I will add them to RG when I get a chance.

And I appreciate the nomination, but I work at a CPA firm and it's tax season right now. Meaning very little free time.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users