• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Spiderman (remake/revamp) re-launching the story

#1 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 14 January 2011 - 02:01 PM

Young British actor Andrew Garfield was chosen to play the title role of everyone's fave webslinger in this new re-launch of the series...and having seen Never Let Me Go and The Social Network I laud that choice. This kid can act!

Anyways, first official still was released. Have a gander folks.

Check out the pic here!

I like the suit. Better than Tobey's IMHO.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 14 January 2011 - 02:02 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#2 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 14 January 2011 - 04:11 PM

Unless they pull some kind of new angle to the story I don't see the point of a revamp. We already have the origin story and spidermans battles with the Osbourne family. And they ruined the Symbiote story. What else is there to do?

Well, they could use the Ultimate version I guess, and tie him in with the Avengers/Ultimates storyline, but really, what is the point? It worked in the comic run because they had 130 issues to build upon.

Now, a Ben Reilly story... that would be interesting. Tell a story of a roaming spiderman, detached from all his loved ones, no annoying Mary Jane or Aunt May. That I would watch.

EDIT: Ooohh, I would a movie version of the Kraven story. But lets face it, you can't sell that story to the kids, they'll be scarred for life.

This post has been edited by Jenisapt Rul: 14 January 2011 - 04:13 PM

#3 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 14 January 2011 - 04:33 PM

Jenisapt Rul, on 14 January 2011 - 04:11 PM, said:

Unless they pull some kind of new angle to the story I don't see the point of a revamp. We already have the origin story and spidermans battles with the Osbourne family. And they ruined the Symbiote story. What else is there to do?

Well, they could use the Ultimate version I guess, and tie him in with the Avengers/Ultimates storyline, but really, what is the point? It worked in the comic run because they had 130 issues to build upon.

Now, a Ben Reilly story... that would be interesting. Tell a story of a roaming spiderman, detached from all his loved ones, no annoying Mary Jane or Aunt May. That I would watch.

EDIT: Ooohh, I would a movie version of the Kraven story. But lets face it, you can't sell that story to the kids, they'll be scarred for life.

Apparently they ARE trying to do the Ultimate Spiderman story with this one, at least that's what the talk is about the story. Brian Michael Bendis was actually in contact with the whole crew and tweeted about it, so my thoughts are they are defo doing the Ultimate storyline.

Also....I have one word for you. WEBSHOOTERS....real mechanical (you can see them in the picture on his inner wrists) WEBSHOOTERS....that could...GASP...run out of webbing! LOL.

Yeah, organic webshooters pissed me off in Raimi's Spidey movies.

As far as those first films go: The first Spiderman flick is good...not great (and is a carbon copy of the plot and even some SHOTS...of Raimi's 90's superhero nobody epic DARKMAN) and concentrates a little too hard on Peter Parker and not enough on Spiderman.

the second flick was better....but still kind of falls short with the exception of Doc Ock, cause he saves that movie and makes it better than it really is. Seriously, if you remove Doc Ock from the sequel and put any other villain in it...then Maguire's portrayal of the webslinger totally sticks out...

...Which is reason #1 (of 47 reasons) that the third film is so atrocious. Maguire's portrayal of both Parker and Spiderman is so bad that I can't even tell you. By the point that Spidey marries MJ in the comics he is much more self assured (no longer a geek who's life is suckage) and he accepts the double life...as does MJ....and that makes BOTH Spiderman and Peter Parker interesting in the comics...whereas in the film version I am just gritting my teeth through all the overlong Peter Parker scenes because they are boring just to get a few minutes here and there of Spiderman swinging...but even the fight scenes (I mean you have a guy who can do stuff with webbing FFS) are tedious and boring. Movie Spiderman never does anything interesting with his webbing. He just swings, catapults, and sometimes uses it to trap things/people. That's it. Oh ho hum.

I will agree that we don't necessarily need a new origin story, but they are at least not using the Green Goblin here, they are using The Lizard....which I like as an idea for the first villain...as well it will feature Proto-Goblin apparently, and that is the only Osbourne-related part in the flick...as they designed the syrum that drives Nels Van Adder insane to become proto-gob.

and one other thing. Dennis Leary as Captain Stacey. Nuff said.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 14 January 2011 - 04:35 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#4 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 14 January 2011 - 04:39 PM

All these comic-to-film conversions turn out badly as they try to stick too closely to the comic to avoid pissing people off. Having to use only the material from the comics restricts what could otherwise become something new and interesting, and stops anyone from taking the concept and making a genuinely good film.

I liked Iron Man and the most recent Hulk (Ed Norton), but both were let down by having nothing to do but to fight bad versions of themselves... yawn. Both Spiderman and Batman only ever end up fighting weird and crappy 'enemies' just because they do in issue number 304 etc of whatever they were in 20 years ago.

If they're going to make yet another one, why not ditch the dated 50's storylines for once and have a new spiderman/batman in the present, without the oh so hilarious enemies in bird/clown/cat (vulture? seriously?) costumes with their lame backstories about why they now like to dress up and commit obvious crimes that the regular cops for some reason don't pick them up for.

This post has been edited by First Tiger: 14 January 2011 - 04:41 PM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#5 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 14 January 2011 - 04:53 PM

First Tiger, on 14 January 2011 - 04:39 PM, said:

I liked Iron Man and the most recent Hulk (Ed Norton), but both were let down by having nothing to do but to fight bad versions of themselves... yawn. Both Spiderman and Batman only ever end up fighting weird and crappy 'enemies' just because they

I gotta take issue with the Batman comment. Batman's storylines in the comics for the last number of years have included a whole lot of real life themes and villains..and Batman takes on the Mob more often than not....and some of his biggest enemies are real dude with messed up priorities (Ras Al Ghul, Bane, Deadshot, Hush, Red Hood, Scarecrow) all big Bat villains, and all are normal guys with messed up stuff going on, and in some cases (Bane, Hush) are just straight up murderers. I fail to see how those fit into your statement.

I agree with the statement with regards to spidey though. His villains are a lot more cartoonish and sometimes ridiculous.

I also agree with the statement about Hulk and Iron man fighting evil versions of themselves....it did make those films which were pretty good, falter a bit.

Hulk needs to be more like Ultimate Hulk....and Iron Man need to have a movie where his alcoholism is addressed...as a villain. LOL

That said, I wouldn't want to watch a film that didn't try to emulate the comics. A film based on a comic should be an homage. Never a direct copy...BUT...there are certain things that can't change.

I'll use Harry Potter as an example as good homage: Does it matter that Neville gives Harry Gillyweed to help in his water challenge in The Goblet of Fire? Nope, not at all....but would it matter if Harry rode a vacuum cleaner instead of a broom? Yeah, I'm thinking yeah...LOL.

So to me: Spiderman with organic webbing....is like Harry with a Vacuum cleaner. It steals one of the most human things about Spiderman (the ability to make him fallible and run out of webbing in a fight) and instead makes him more invincible with it part of his mutation....so this put a crimp in the second film script, one so bad that they had to INVENT a reason for him to lose his webbing...and that reason is ..um....he doesn't believe in himself?! Oh eff off Raimi! Stupid Emo Spiderman!

#6 User is offline   Beezulbubba 

• ---
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 14 January 2011 - 04:56 PM

http://www.tbs.com/v....jsp?oid=236293

#7 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 14 January 2011 - 05:00 PM

Falstad Wildhammer, on 14 January 2011 - 04:56 PM, said:

HAHAHA! Here have some non-working, sparkly Rep for that link!

#8 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 14 January 2011 - 05:18 PM

QuickTidal, on 14 January 2011 - 04:53 PM, said:

I liked Iron Man and the most recent Hulk (Ed Norton), but both were let down by having nothing to do but to fight bad versions of themselves... yawn. Both Spiderman and Batman only ever end up fighting weird and crappy 'enemies' just because they

I gotta take issue with the Batman comment. Batman's storylines in the comics for the last number of years have included a whole lot of real life themes and villains..and Batman takes on the Mob more often than not....and some of his biggest enemies are real dude with messed up priorities (Ras Al Ghul, Bane, Deadshot, Hush, Red Hood, Scarecrow) all big Bat villains, and all are normal guys with messed up stuff going on, and in some cases (Bane, Hush) are just straight up murderers. I fail to see how those fit into your statement.

I agree with the statement with regards to spidey though. His villains are a lot more cartoonish and sometimes ridiculous.

I also agree with the statement about Hulk and Iron man fighting evil versions of themselves....it did make those films which were pretty good, falter a bit.

Hulk needs to be more like Ultimate Hulk....and Iron Man need to have a movie where his alcoholism is addressed...as a villain. LOL

That said, I wouldn't want to watch a film that didn't try to emulate the comics. A film based on a comic should be an homage. Never a direct copy...BUT...there are certain things that can't change.

I'll use Harry Potter as an example as good homage: Does it matter that Neville gives Harry Gillyweed to help in his water challenge in The Goblet of Fire? Nope, not at all....but would it matter if Harry rode a vacuum cleaner instead of a broom? Yeah, I'm thinking yeah...LOL.

So to me: Spiderman with organic webbing....is like Harry with a Vacuum cleaner. It steals one of the most human things about Spiderman (the ability to make him fallible and run out of webbing in a fight) and instead makes him more invincible with it part of his mutation....so this put a crimp in the second film script, one so bad that they had to INVENT a reason for him to lose his webbing...and that reason is ..um....he doesn't believe in himself?! Oh eff off Raimi! Stupid Emo Spiderman!

I haven't read any recent Batman comics, so fair enough, he might be fighting people other than costumed villains. However, that's all we get in the films, so i was assuming that was because they were trying to follow the comics.

(I've always disliked the 'level scaling' with hero stories - as soon as someone develops the power to stop regular criminals, they enjoy a small montage of actually kicking some ass before super villain shows up, with powers equal to or worse than the hero. Which negates the heros power in a way, like when all the enemies in a game upgrade as you get new weapons etc.)

I liked Iron Man, the first half anyway, as he was taking on human enemies in a present day setting - I have never read any Iron man comics, so I don't care if they missed out stuff; what I notice is that the film eventually had a weak story because it felt the need to stick to the old Marvel formula (it is Marvel, right?) like Hulk did. It's all well and good to feature 'Stanleys' bar in Hulk, with Stan Lee in it, but it doesn't make it a better film. That was my point; imo, the film conversions of comics won't ever be any good, because they are restricted by their own material and feel they have to include it. Even if it's crap.

As a fan, you like it, as a non comic reader, I just think the films aren't as good as they could be.

Each to their own, I guess!

(Like Spidey. As a heathen non-comic reader, it makes far more sense to me that someone who gets bitten by a radioactive spider, gets stronger, faster, can climb walls and develops another sense, should also start shooting web out of his hands. Not.. gets bitten by a spider, then goes and makes gadgets that do all that for him. As for running out of web.. organic web should run out just as quickly as stuff made in webshooters. He'd just need some food and a rest to recharge!) I thought the development of the webslinging was pretty good in Raimis version, apart from the fact that he never ran out..
:p

This post has been edited by First Tiger: 14 January 2011 - 05:30 PM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#9 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !
  • Interests:beer, party.

Posted 14 January 2011 - 05:43 PM

I hope they manage to leave out the general pussiness and crying with Peter Parker this time.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#10 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 14 January 2011 - 06:02 PM

First Tiger, on 14 January 2011 - 05:18 PM, said:

QuickTidal, on 14 January 2011 - 04:53 PM, said:

I haven't read any recent Batman comics, so fair enough, he might be fighting people other than costumed villains. However, that's all we get in the films, so i was assuming that was because they were trying to follow the comics.

(I've always disliked the 'level scaling' with hero stories - as soon as someone develops the power to stop regular criminals, they enjoy a small montage of actually kicking some ass before super villain shows up, with powers equal to or worse than the hero. Which negates the heros power in a way, like when all the enemies in a game upgrade as you get new weapons etc.)

I liked Iron Man, the first half anyway, as he was taking on human enemies in a present day setting - I have never read any Iron man comics, so I don't care if they missed out stuff; what I notice is that the film eventually had a weak story because it felt the need to stick to the old Marvel formula (it is Marvel, right?) like Hulk did. It's all well and good to feature 'Stanleys' bar in Hulk, with Stan Lee in it, but it doesn't make it a better film. That was my point; imo, the film conversions of comics won't ever be any good, because they are restricted by their own material and feel they have to include it. Even if it's crap.

As a fan, you like it, as a non comic reader, I just think the films aren't as good as they could be.

Each to their own, I guess!

(Like Spidey. As a heathen non-comic reader, it makes far more sense to me that someone who gets bitten by a radioactive spider, gets stronger, faster, can climb walls and develops another sense, should also start shooting web out of his hands. Not.. gets bitten by a spider, then goes and makes gadgets that do all that for him. As for running out of web.. organic web should run out just as quickly as stuff made in webshooters. He'd just need some food and a rest to recharge!) I thought the development of the webslinging was pretty good in Raimis version, apart from the fact that he never ran out..
:p

Indeed some fair points. Except it would seem you haven't seen THE DARK KNIGHT...but that can't be right ( :p )...cause even though the Joker is costumed he is the best villain ever. A man who exists to create havoc for havoc's sake, or just wants to watch the world burn...in the best superhero movie ever. Just saying. LOL.

Yeah, I wholeheartedly agree that Iron Man taking on real world folks in the first half is more interesting than him taking on Obediah Stane in the second half in a bigger suit....the only thing being that there isn't a lot of things or people that can stand up to Iron Man's suit....so while him taking out middle eastern terrorist cell, missile depot or saving families from tyrannical village dictators is cool...they don't last long, so my only comment would be he kind of HAS to take on a bigger strong baddie in the end and in Iron Man's world of strength, those are few and far between unless they are other mechanical wonders. Seeing him tussle with the Hulk in Joss Whedon's AVENGERS flick ought to be good, cause that will be a cool throwdown.

I won't comment on the organic webbing statement. Much...heretic. :huh:

haha

#11 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 14 January 2011 - 06:04 PM

cerveza_fiesta, on 14 January 2011 - 05:43 PM, said:

I hope they manage to leave out the general pussiness and crying with Peter Parker this time.

Absolutely 100% agreed.

#12 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 18 January 2011 - 10:46 AM

QuickTidal, on 14 January 2011 - 06:02 PM, said:

Indeed some fair points. Except it would seem you haven't seen THE DARK KNIGHT...but that can't be right ( :p )...

You got me there, I haven't seen it. Bad comic movie overload at the time, so I couldn't be bothered.

This will now be remedied, however.. I just got 'The Dark Knight' on Blu Ray. I'll get back when i've watched it..

#13 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 18 January 2011 - 02:37 PM

First Tiger, on 18 January 2011 - 10:46 AM, said:

QuickTidal, on 14 January 2011 - 06:02 PM, said:

Indeed some fair points. Except it would seem you haven't seen THE DARK KNIGHT...but that can't be right ( :p )...

You got me there, I haven't seen it. Bad comic movie overload at the time, so I couldn't be bothered.

This will now be remedied, however.. I just got 'The Dark Knight' on Blu Ray. I'll get back when i've watched it..

It a really awesome crime drama. I DO hope you like it. It actually registers to me as a crime drama far before it does as a superhero flick, and I think that is the appeal.

#14 User is offline   moridin 

• Sergeant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 20 January 2011 - 12:01 AM

Briar King, on 14 January 2011 - 09:32 PM, said:

I think that it is kinda weird they are redoing new movies after just 10 yrs it was done. Ofcourse I will still see them though lol. Im excited to learn The Lizard is in this one. I was so excited having Dr. Conner in the Toby films and had hope we'd seen him in it.....

I also would love to see Carnage(fuck Venom) and Hobgoblin(fuck Green Goblin aswell)

I agree wholeheartedly with Carnage. As for the Goblin, while I enjoyed the Dafoe's portrayal of him, I felt that it was to mechanical in way(hard for me to put into words). I would like to see a darker version of Goblin with the craziness of Dafoe thrown in.

Besides that, all the comic book movies need to reboot after 2-3 movies because they have used up the good villians. In the comics the villians hardly ever die, but it seems they have to in the movies.

#15 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 20 January 2011 - 04:00 AM

All that is required for a decent Spiderman flick is:

1. Minimal Parker-whining. You're super-strong, agile and have danger sense FFS - enjoy it!

2. The Green Goblin minus the over-acting. A quietly psychotic Norman Osborn is far, far scarier.

OR

2. The proper Venom storyline minus the Secret Wars origin.

EOF
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#16 User is offline   MWKarsa 

• Midget Toblakai
  • Interests:Reading, Sports, Exercise and all things Texas Longhorn.

Posted 20 January 2011 - 04:52 AM

I used to collect Spiderman comics as kid as he was my favorite superhero to follow and then I got into X-men as my favorite superhero group but also loved Ironman, Hulk and especially Thor. IMO Generally the comics to movies have been largely disappointing. The original Spiderman was decent and the second one better before the crapfest that was the 3rd. With X-men the original was pretty lame but I really liked the second one before, again, the crapfest 3rd. I liked the first Ironman but the second fell into tired trap of SM and X-men's 3rd movies- "let's jam as many villians/characters/plotlines into one movie to make it bigger and better than the rest!" while forgetting to actually make a decent film with a good story minus the Michael Bay style of making big budget films.

The first Hulk was pitiful and the 2nd just a little better. After Joel Schmacher(sp?) destroyed Batman I was super glad to see the revamp with Chris Nolan and the Dark Night is by far the best comic book adaption I've seen. I freaking loved that movie and have watched it many many times. The ending is as close to perfect as I've seen on top of a great great movie.

I'm totally worried about Thor because I loved the comic and as a movie I really think it will be a homerun or a complete utter failure. The trailers look decent but you can never tell with those. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I can't even mention Fantastic Four or Daredevil because I try and pretend those movies don't exist.

I completely agree with it being weird that a re-launch of the series of Spiderman is happening so soon but if they can make it decent and take the bad taste of the 3rd film away I'm willing to give it a shot especially if it can be like the new Batman movies.

#17 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 20 January 2011 - 05:45 AM

Sombra, on 20 January 2011 - 04:00 AM, said:

1. Minimal Parker-whining. You're super-strong, agile and have danger sense FFS - enjoy it!

Parker whining should be in there because it is the expression of a deeply moral human being that constantly gets handed a rotten deal. Parker could so easily become rich and famous if he wanted but he wont sell his services and he can't steal. Peter Parkers life has always been full of missfortune and sorrow and it is watching Parker keeping up his optimism while going through one insane event after another that makes him so endearing. This was actually perfectly depicted in the Ultimate Spiderman run.

MWKarsa, on 20 January 2011 - 04:52 AM, said:

I can't even mention Fantastic Four ... because I try and pretend those movies don't exist.

The first Fantastic Four was actually not half bad in my opinion. The only problem was that Doctor Doom was not disfigured enough and there was far too little action over all in the film. Far too much story and too little clobbering time.

#18 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 20 January 2011 - 01:58 PM

Jenisapt Rul, on 20 January 2011 - 05:45 AM, said:

Sombra, on 20 January 2011 - 04:00 AM, said:

Parker whining should be in there because it is the expression of a deeply moral human being that constantly gets handed a rotten deal. Parker could so easily become rich and famous if he wanted but he wont sell his services and he can't steal. Peter Parkers life has always been full of missfortune and sorrow and it is watching Parker keeping up his optimism while going through one insane event after another that makes him so endearing. This was actually perfectly depicted in the Ultimate Spiderman run.

I was referring more to the movies. What comes across as thoughtful introspection and emotional growth (amid the occasional "woe is me" episodes) in a comic series is compressed and dumbed-down into emo whining in the films.

We get that with great power comes great responsibility. We get that you should stick to your ethics. But for crying out loud there's no reason you have to be such a doormat bitch about it. Parker should have had the cojones and smarts to figure out a way to secure his future and finances and his aunt's too before he went all costumed vigilante.

Now me - I would have done all that and then gone to work for Nick Fury. Patriotism AND a fat paycheck plus awesome employment conditions. AND legitimacy. Oh, but of course on top of all his neuroses, ethics and indecision, our hero has the understandable deep distrust of his government as well. Don't get me wrong, I think govts are a bunch of arseholes working for the benefit of the rich, and anything that benefits us working stiffs is purely a side-effect. You just have to make sure what benefits them benefits you as well without letting yourself become their personal hitman.

J Jonah Jameson however, would have never been seen again after the original Scorpion (Mac Gargan) business.

Hmmm ... Scorpy would have made a better villain than that dipshit Sandman - but in his own installment of the franchise, of course.

This post has been edited by Sombra: 20 January 2011 - 02:01 PM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#19 User is offline   dktorode 

• Luck is my middle name, Mind you, my first name is Bad."
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 20 January 2011 - 02:52 PM

I hear there will be no J Jonah Jameson in this one...
...┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐...

Why dont they make the whole plane out of that black box stuff?

#20 User is offline   Bauchelain the Evil 

• Greatest necromancer ever
  • Not much

Posted 20 January 2011 - 06:02 PM

dktorode, on 20 January 2011 - 02:52 PM, said:

I hear there will be no J Jonah Jameson in this one...

Heresy! :unworthy:
Adept of Team Quick Ben

I greet you as guests and so will not crush the life from you and devour your soul with peals of laughter. No, instead, I will make tea-Gothos

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users