• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Malazan Podcast

#21 User is offline   Yellow 

• Sick and Tired
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 05 January 2011 - 08:06 AM

It might be a good idea to move this thread to either the inn or the book forums. You'll probably get much more interest in either of those.
Don't fuck with the Culture.

#22 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 05 January 2011 - 10:36 AM

As you might have noticed, new forum created, and a new group 'Podcast Staff' has been added. Now, there is also the private staff forums which require a password to access, but admins and podcast staff are exempt from that restriction.

@Yellow - good idea, but we can have a secondary thread over there, rather than this one. :wub:

At this moment, only Jake is officially Podcast Staff, but at least one other person expressed interest in helping out, so we'll see how that goes - if you want to flick me a PM about it, Jake, we can discuss that there.

Oh, and all the names are fairly temporary...just couldn't come up with anything catchy on the fly, and catchy is harder to change if other people don't like it. B)

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#23 User is offline   HiddenOne 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 05 January 2011 - 12:40 PM

I would like to be involved in some way, so count me in.
HiddenOne. You son of a bitch. You slimy, skulking, low-posting scumbag. You knew it would come to this. Roundabout, maybe. Tortuous, certainly. But here we are, you and me again. I started the train on you so many many hours ago, and now I'm going to finish it. Die HO. Die. This is for last time, and this is for this game too. This is for all the people who died to your backstabbing, treacherous, "I sure don't know what's going on around here" filthy lying, deceitful ways. You son of a bitch. Whatever happens, this is justice. For me, this is justice. Vote HiddenOne Finally, I am at peace.

#24 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 06 January 2011 - 12:14 PM

Sounds like a great idea, I'll certainly get behind it.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#25 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 06 January 2011 - 08:51 PM

@HiddenOne - thanks for the interest! I'll add you to the staff group soon...

@MTS - thanks man. :D

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#26 User is offline   Binder of Demons 

• Lord of Light
  • View gallery
  • - Thread Killer -

Posted 13 January 2011 - 07:58 AM

i like the idea, and would be keen to help out, even if it is only the planning stages. I've been toying with the idea of doing a local photography podcast for a while and it would be good to see how all this works.

I am quite a fan of podcasts, and have sampled enough different types to at least know some of the dangers. One i would highly recommend is WRITING EXCUSES by Brandon Sanderson (and HOWARD and DAN who are also authors). They hit upon the very sensible idea of limiting themselves to 15 mins per episode, discussing a single topic. This requires them to be quite focused, and stops them from rambling on. This format could be readily adapted for a book series specific podcast, with just one or two points to be discussed each week/fortnight? The 15 minute limit in "Writing Excuses" was actually just an arbitrary number they chose at the beginning, but it does seem to work well as a manageable length. You could aim to go longer, but I would suggest capping it at under 30 mins max. If you have a great topic you could always split it into 2.

But the biggest problem i have found with other book/entertainment podcasts is that the authors don't edit what they're doing, so in some instances i have seen 2 hour podcasts which ramble all over the place. Sure there might be great info in there, but it's mired in so much shite i couldn't tolerate listening to the whole thing. Having a plan written out beforehand of what will be discussed is a good way to limit this from happening, and i guess that's where the non-talky volunteers could help.

The only other thing i can think of at the moment is that having a regular schedule is really important. A good way to deal with this is to record several episodes ahead, and again this will be easier when you have a better idea of what the content will be.

I'd be interested in being added to the list.

Cheers

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain

Never argue with an idiot!
They'll drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!
- Anonymous

#27 User is offline   Jake 

• Corporal

Posted 13 January 2011 - 07:56 PM

Excellent information, Binder. We will definitely consider all of this when we do begin recording. I particularly agree with the point you made about the rambling. While rambling can sometimes be interesting if it pertains to the series being covered, when rambling begins branching out into Star Wars, it becomes a problem!

Now, what exactly would you be interested in doing to help the podcast? I made a topic in the podcasting section of the forum regarding what positions need filled, but if you think of anything else feel free to let me know.

Jake

#28 User is offline   EsotericForest 

• Crimson Guard
  • Interests:Photography, Art, History, Reading, Wildlife, Hiking, Camping, Fishing

Posted 01 March 2011 - 11:52 PM

Has their been any recent forward progress in starting this podcast? I'd like to help, but frankly don't have as much knowledge on the series as many of you do...in which case I wouldn't be any help :unsure:
"Ignoring him, she stepped back out of the ellipse and began singing in the Woman's Language, which was, of course, unintelligible to Iskaral's ears. Just as the Man's Language-which Mongora called gibberish-was beyond her ability to understand. The reason for that, Iskaral Pust knew, was that the Man's Language was gibberish, designed specifically to confound women."

-The Bonehunters-

"What's wrong with the world? You ask a man and he says, 'Don't ask.' Ask a woman and you'll be dead of old age before she's finished"

-The Bonehunters-

#29 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 01 March 2011 - 11:56 PM

I think we're waiting for potential hosts to send in audio submissions.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#30 User is offline   EsotericForest 

• Crimson Guard
  • Interests:Photography, Art, History, Reading, Wildlife, Hiking, Camping, Fishing

Posted 02 March 2011 - 03:05 AM

Excellent, sounds good
"Ignoring him, she stepped back out of the ellipse and began singing in the Woman's Language, which was, of course, unintelligible to Iskaral's ears. Just as the Man's Language-which Mongora called gibberish-was beyond her ability to understand. The reason for that, Iskaral Pust knew, was that the Man's Language was gibberish, designed specifically to confound women."

-The Bonehunters-

"What's wrong with the world? You ask a man and he says, 'Don't ask.' Ask a woman and you'll be dead of old age before she's finished"

-The Bonehunters-

#31 User is offline   Jake 

• Corporal

Posted 03 March 2011 - 04:10 AM

We're still waiting. I would be promoting the idea more, but The Crippled God just came out, and I'm sure people are a tad busy. Myself included.

#32 User is offline   EsotericForest 

• Crimson Guard

Posted 05 March 2011 - 02:21 AM

Ha, I wouldn't know since my order is literally dancing around my location (according to the tracker) but not getting to me :)

-The Bonehunters-

-The Bonehunters-

#33 User is offline   Centzon Totochtin 

• For Pony!
  • Interests:Stuff, and sometimes also things.
  • Bunnies!

Posted 20 June 2011 - 12:20 PM

I hope this is still happening, I need more podcasts to listen to :apt2: I'm afraid I can't help more than listening, but I will do that if a podcast gets up and running :apt2:
That Elephant is looking rather frayed at the edges

#34 User is offline   Silvio Dante 

• Recruit

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:33 PM

I wonder if the podcast idea ever got off the ground?

I know the WOT podcasts were a won derful guide for me a few years ago...

#35 User is offline   Jade-Green Pig-Hog Swine-Beast 

• Knight Seneschal
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Fencing, ninpo, didjeridu, good books, good films and irn-bru.
  • Pre-dinner mayonnaise -- it's good for you!

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:41 PM

I believe—hope—they're still a work in progress.
The love I bear thee can afford no better term than this: thou art a villain.

"Perhaps we think up our own destinies and so, in a sense, deserve whatever happens to us, for not having had the wit to imagine something better." Iain Banks

#36 User is offline   HiddenOne 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:10 PM

If there's any work being done, it's in secret somewhere in a remote lab under the Antarctic ice pack

We need someone to get involved in this with the vision & ambition to make it fly.
HiddenOne. You son of a bitch. You slimy, skulking, low-posting scumbag. You knew it would come to this. Roundabout, maybe. Tortuous, certainly. But here we are, you and me again. I started the train on you so many many hours ago, and now I'm going to finish it. Die HO. Die. This is for last time, and this is for this game too. This is for all the people who died to your backstabbing, treacherous, "I sure don't know what's going on around here" filthy lying, deceitful ways. You son of a bitch. Whatever happens, this is justice. For me, this is justice. Vote HiddenOne Finally, I am at peace.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users