• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Malazan Podcast

#1 User is offline   Jake 

• Corporal
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 03 January 2011 - 05:58 AM

First of all, I have no idea if this is the right place to post this; please pardon my ignorance if it in the wrong place.

Anyhooo, MALAZAN BOOK OF THE FALLEN PODCAST: Why is there not one? Podcasts are a great place for discussion, and easy to listen to on your daily commute or while winding down before bed. In this amazing book series there are so many topics to discuss, crazy theories to present, and chapters to recap.

I don't know much about hosting a downloading server, but the recording itself simply requires a microphone, a recording/editing program such as audacity (free), and some kind of communication system (Ventrilo, Skype, etc).

I think this would be very interesting to listen to if the right personalities were found to do the podcast, and I was just wondering the thoughts of the various Malazan experts here on the forum!

Sincerely, Jake

#2 User is offline   HiddenOne 

• Mortal Sword
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 03 January 2011 - 01:24 PM

Great idea, would like to hear some of these pros hold forth, also debates would be lovely.

Wonder if various accents would pose a problem?
HiddenOne. You son of a bitch. You slimy, skulking, low-posting scumbag. You knew it would come to this. Roundabout, maybe. Tortuous, certainly. But here we are, you and me again. I started the train on you so many many hours ago, and now I'm going to finish it. Die HO. Die. This is for last time, and this is for this game too. This is for all the people who died to your backstabbing, treacherous, "I sure don't know what's going on around here" filthy lying, deceitful ways. You son of a bitch. Whatever happens, this is justice. For me, this is justice. Vote HiddenOne Finally, I am at peace.

#3 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 03 January 2011 - 01:32 PM

Well now there's an idea - only problem would be rounding up guests, trying to be regular, so on and so forth, hehe.

As far as accents go, people all over the world make podcasts, so unless someone bears a particularly indecipherable dialect, it shouldn't be a huge problem, lol.

The site has a downloads application from IPB as far as I'm aware, so someone could really just use that if they asked nicely. :wub:

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#4 User is offline   EsotericForest 

• Crimson Guard
  • Interests:Photography, Art, History, Reading, Wildlife, Hiking, Camping, Fishing

Posted 03 January 2011 - 02:33 PM

I've thought of this before, and think it would be a great idea. There's so much material I'm not sure you could ever cover it all in depth.
"Ignoring him, she stepped back out of the ellipse and began singing in the Woman's Language, which was, of course, unintelligible to Iskaral's ears. Just as the Man's Language-which Mongora called gibberish-was beyond her ability to understand. The reason for that, Iskaral Pust knew, was that the Man's Language was gibberish, designed specifically to confound women."

-The Bonehunters-

"What's wrong with the world? You ask a man and he says, 'Don't ask.' Ask a woman and you'll be dead of old age before she's finished"

-The Bonehunters-

#5 User is offline   Yellow 

• Sick and Tired

Posted 03 January 2011 - 03:29 PM

On top of the book discussion, you could also cover recent stuff on the forum as well (i.e. interesting discussions, new excerpts posted and all that kind of thing). I would definitely listen...
Don't fuck with the Culture.

#6 User is offline   Jake 

• Corporal

Posted 03 January 2011 - 09:03 PM

Well it's settled! This must happen. Now all we need is 2 to 4 people who could try this out. A recap of DoD would be an obvious starting theme to prepare for the release of TCG. I pray this actually happens, and I would love to help with show notes or something similar. I am, however, aware that I don't have the knowledge available for this kind of undertaking. We need volunteers!

**Jake wants YOU to help make this idea a reality**

#7 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 04 January 2011 - 12:27 AM

It's because everyone is embarrassed to say how they pronounce all the Malazan words out loud.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#8 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 04 January 2011 - 12:42 AM

Well, they shouldn't be! For one, Erikson has said that there's no totally fixed pronunciation, and I'm sure that a small group could come up with a decent-sounding approximation for all of the major words. I know that when I listen to the Bungie podcast, I always get a laugh out of how they pronounce 'carbine' and 'melee' (they do 'melee' closer to what it should be, with the accent, but 'carbine' becomes 'carbeen/carbean', which is technically correct but sounds absolutely hilarious with the American accent, hehe...), so no harm done. :wub:

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#9 User is offline   Stalker 

• House Knight

Posted 04 January 2011 - 01:40 AM

well, the pronunciation would be funny especially with all the accents. Even malazan can be pronounced in more than one way, but it isn't something to be embarrassed about. I think that the best way would be to have 2-3 people who run it with 1-2 guests from around the forum each podcast. So the 2-3 people would have some idea about what to talk about from within the books, and the guests can each have a special topic about something of interest to them. Add group discussion about each aspect and you're in business.

#10 User is offline   Jake 

• Corporal

Posted 04 January 2011 - 01:53 AM

Actually, dragonmount has the "4th age podcast" that covers Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. Although poorly executed, the podcast is suprisingly interesting. I can say from personal experience, while listening to a few of the podcasts, even the hosts pronounced the various country names and races differently than eachother. It does absolutely nothing to remove immersion in the conversation, and doesn't make the hosts look unintelligent or whatnot. So no worries!

#11 User is offline   EsotericForest 

• Crimson Guard
  • Interests:Photography, Art, History, Reading, Wildlife, Hiking, Camping, Fishing

Posted 04 January 2011 - 03:03 AM

View Postworrywort, on 04 January 2011 - 12:27 AM, said:

It's because everyone is embarrassed to say how they pronounce all the Malazan words out loud.

Hahaha, touche'
"Ignoring him, she stepped back out of the ellipse and began singing in the Woman's Language, which was, of course, unintelligible to Iskaral's ears. Just as the Man's Language-which Mongora called gibberish-was beyond her ability to understand. The reason for that, Iskaral Pust knew, was that the Man's Language was gibberish, designed specifically to confound women."

-The Bonehunters-

"What's wrong with the world? You ask a man and he says, 'Don't ask.' Ask a woman and you'll be dead of old age before she's finished"

-The Bonehunters-

#12 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 04 January 2011 - 03:05 AM

Well, I'd be interested in maybe helping to host it, but I'm going to drop off the grid in a week or so for half a month (annual holiday boat trip), which would put a spanner in the works. I can get online, but there is no way I can do voice on a mobile broadband connection (the price is horrendous). :wub:

Shinrei said:

#13 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 04 January 2011 - 03:08 AM

I don't think you want to hear these people live. I'll never recover....

By the by, you can generally puzzle out the characters and places people are talking about.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#14 User is offline   Jake 

• Corporal

Posted 04 January 2011 - 03:40 AM

Well, Silencer, there is no huge rush to start, and we certainly need to find more volunteers. Spread the word everyone! If we do happen to get enough people before you leave, recording a few test sessions for editors to play with and figure out how to format the show would be a good idea. Then while you're on your trip the editor can get things sorted out by the time you get back! (Optomistic thinking is fun)

This post has been edited by Jake: 04 January 2011 - 03:43 AM

#15 User is offline   EsotericForest 

• Crimson Guard

Posted 04 January 2011 - 04:37 AM

Well I think it's an excellent idea, and I'd definitely listen in. Unfortunately I don't feel qualified to host it :wub:

-The Bonehunters-

-The Bonehunters-

#16 User is offline   The Seguleh 46th 

• High Fist

Posted 04 January 2011 - 05:14 AM

View PostEsotericForest, on 04 January 2011 - 04:37 AM, said:

Well I think it's an excellent idea, and I'd definitely listen in. Unfortunately I don't feel qualified to host it :wub:

Waht he said! Hehe. I'd be a damn good listener though! Great idea, and although i've never been a big listener of podcasts in general (although Freakanomics is pretty cool, as well as those dudes that do "Drunk Tank".....at least i think that's what its called, only listened to a few on a roundtrip to Dallas for the World Series), i would subscribe to this in a heartbeat!

#17 User is offline   Funkazilla 

• Recruit

Posted 04 January 2011 - 06:05 AM

I came out of my silent reading of this forum to say I like this idea. I love podcasts and think that this book series would make for a great topic.

It sounds like there could be themes and such to be organized for each show, as well as adding in extra sections such as what you are currently reading and other interesting things that could add to the content that would be offered. I wouldn't be all that great for the technical side of things but I certainly would enjoy participating or just listening in and contributing via email.

#18 User is offline   Jake 

• Corporal

Posted 04 January 2011 - 10:22 PM

Well we certaintly have interest! Now all we need are hosts.

#19 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 04 January 2011 - 11:30 PM

Simplest solution is to start with what we've got, I guess. I can set up a podcast group and forum if you'd like - can discuss topics and themes and such in there, maybe have a public section with requests/guest offers etc too?

Shinrei said:

#20 User is offline   Jake 

• Corporal

Posted 05 January 2011 - 12:12 AM

Sounds like a good way to get more people involved, that would be amazing.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users