Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Am i misremembering the Bottle/Eres'al story? Spoiler alert. . . i think

#1 User is offline   Jake 

• Corporal
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 18 December 2010 - 05:34 PM

I am rereading the series, and i ran across something that I did not notice on my first read through (that happened a lot, but this one I had to post about). Now before I go into theory mode, I would like to say that this is all based on my remembering
Spoiler

(Not sure how to quote things, so I'll just type it out). "They were all born of a single mother, countless generations past, who was the thief of fire and walked through time, seeking that which might answer a need that consumed her - although she could never discover the nature of that need. One time, in her journey, she took within her a sacred seed, and so gave birth to a girl-child. To all outward appearances,' he contined, 'that child was little different from her mother, for the sacredness was hidden, and so it remains hidden to this day. Within the Nerek, who are the offspring of that child."

Now, my question is:
Spoiler

Thanks, Jake.

#2 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 18 December 2010 - 06:05 PM

It could be, but it might not be, too. Eres'al romps about through time at will, who knows how many times she's been impregnated or where and when the children have been born.

In the Nerek's case, assuming that the one they believe is their singular ancestor is in fact born of the Eres'al and is related to other events within the book, I would put more money on it being the child of Trull from when the Eres'al attacked/raped him in Tellann in HoC. This because the Nerek seem to have a connection to the Tiste Edur, as revealed by their gaining power from being blessed by the virgin Edur Mayen.

Other characters with a connection to the Eres'al also include Kettle, T'amber and Grub, so crazy theories abound.

Lastly, I'm not sure if it's ever clear whether Bottle actually did the boogie-woo with Eres'al - I thought she just, erm, "played" with him...

This post has been edited by D'rek: 18 December 2010 - 06:06 PM

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#3 User is offline   Jake 

• Corporal

Posted 18 December 2010 - 06:11 PM

View PostD, on 18 December 2010 - 06:05 PM, said:

It could be, but it might not be, too. Eres'al romps about through time at will, who knows how many times she's been impregnated or where and when the children have been born.

In the Nerek's case, assuming that the one they believe is their singular ancestor is in fact born of the Eres'al and is related to other events within the book, I would put more money on it being the child of Trull from when the Eres'al attacked/raped him in Tellann in HoC. This because the Nerek seem to have a connection to the Tiste Edur, as revealed by their gaining power from being blessed by the virgin Edur Mayen.

Other characters with a connection to the Eres'al also include Kettle, T'amber and Grub, so crazy theories abound.

Lastly, I'm not sure if it's ever clear whether Bottle actually did the boogie-woo with Eres'al - I thought she just, erm, "played" with him...

So, this is giving me the idea that several of the races whose existence is unexplained are in fact birthed from the Eres'al and her crazy time-jumpy-awesomeness. Obviously, the various Tiste races can be explained, but what of the Imass, or even the random cat-creatures briefly mentioned in Memories of Ice (I think)?

This post has been edited by Jake: 18 December 2010 - 06:12 PM

#4 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 18 December 2010 - 06:13 PM

View PostJake, on 18 December 2010 - 06:11 PM, said:

So, this is giving me the idea that several of the races whose existence is unexplained are in fact birthed from the Eres'al and her crazy time-jumpy-awesomeness. Obviouly, the various Tiste races can be explained, but what of the Imass, or even the random cat-creatures briefly mentioned in Memories of Ice (I think)?

The Eres and their more closely associated sub-races (Tasse, Nerek) are pretty distinctively different in features from Imass and humans. The cat people in MoI were just humans who climbed/lived on big nets over the bay of Coral. It is generally accepted that humans and Imass have progressively grown and evolved in a similar manner to the way Home Sapiens and Homo Erectus (or is that the Eres? Neanderthals anyways) have here on Earth, though likely with some interference from each other and other races like the Eres.

This post has been edited by D'rek: 18 December 2010 - 06:14 PM

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#5 User is offline   Jake 

• Corporal

Posted 18 December 2010 - 06:20 PM

View PostD, on 18 December 2010 - 06:13 PM, said:

View PostJake, on 18 December 2010 - 06:11 PM, said:

So, this is giving me the idea that several of the races whose existence is unexplained are in fact birthed from the Eres'al and her crazy time-jumpy-awesomeness. Obviouly, the various Tiste races can be explained, but what of the Imass, or even the random cat-creatures briefly mentioned in Memories of Ice (I think)?

The Eres and their more closely associated sub-races (Tasse, Nerek) are pretty distinctively different in features from Imass and humans. The cat people in MoI were just humans who climbed/lived on big nets over the bay of Coral. It is generally accepted that humans and Imass have progressively grown and evolved in a similar manner to the way Home Sapiens and Homo Erectus (or is that the Eres? Neanderthals anyways) have here on Earth, though likely with some interference from each other and other races like the Eres.

Ah, crazy theory crushed by a forum regular. What you are saying makes sense, but I thought for a second I had noticed something not everyone noticed. I hope I continue to find items to post about while finishing my re-read. It has been a lot of fun, although i find little to post about, as what i discover has usually been covered by someone else once I check the forum.

#6 User is offline   Ceda Cicero 

• Ceda of Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 18 December 2010 - 08:13 PM

"They were all born of a single mother, countless generations past, who was the thief of fire and walked through time, seeking that which might answer a need that consumed her - although she could never discover the nature of that need. One time, in her journey, she took within her a sacred seed, and so gave birth to a girl-child. To all outward appearances,' he contined, 'that child was little different from her mother, for the sacredness was hidden, and so it remains hidden to this day. Within the Nerek, who are the offspring of that child."

What if the girl child mentioned here is the Eres'al, and - true to her claim in DoD - the mother is Olar Ethil? From what we know of her relationship with the Ritual of Tellan, this would certainly fit with the "thief of fire" portion.

View PostIlluyankas, on 07 April 2011 - 08:37 PM, said:

How do you rape a cave? Do you ask, "You want to fuck, yes?" hear the echo come back, "Yes... es... es..." and get your barnacle-gouged groove on?

#7 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 18 December 2010 - 08:31 PM

Apsalar was the one that stole the fire. Olar Ethil is the one who gifted it. Whether any of those stories are accurate is anyone's guess.

#8 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 18 December 2010 - 08:32 PM

Whatever happened to Apsalara as the thief of fire? Just a myth born of her thieving ways and the Imass connection with Tellan?
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#9 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 19 December 2010 - 03:38 AM

View PostJenisapt Rul, on 18 December 2010 - 08:31 PM, said:

Apsalar was the one that stole the fire. Olar Ethil is the one who gifted it. Whether any of those stories are accurate is anyone's guess.

Silanah actually gave fire to the Imass; it was Olar who asked for it according to the three dragons in BH. Where Apsal'ara fits into this is anyone's guess I think. The story about her trying to steal the moon is based in fact though, so perhaps the fire one is too.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#10 User is offline   Hetan 

• Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • View gallery
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 19 December 2010 - 10:08 AM

It is explained in Toll the Hounds how the Eres evolved into the Imass, how their hunting habits changed, they became shorter and squatter etc etc. So the OP is not wrong in their assumption.
"He was not a modest man. Contemplating suicide, he summoned a dragon". (Gothos' Folly)- Gothos

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users