Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

God of Mercy? Help finding the passage

#1 User is offline   Durhang 

• Lost Lurker
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 18 December 2010 - 06:18 AM

Early in the books there was an anecdote related of a god of mercy or kindness who died when the first drop of blood was split in his/her name? It was a parable about the more gentle the god, the more vicious the followers or some such. Does anyone know which book and where within I can find it?

#2 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 18 December 2010 - 06:21 AM

Durhang, on 18 December 2010 - 06:18 AM, said:

Early in the books there was an anecdote related of a god of mercy or kindness who died when the first drop of blood was split in his/her name? It was a parable about the more gentle the god, the more vicious the followers or some such. Does anyone know which book and where within I can find it?

It was Greyfrog telling about his homeworld. It might've been in HoC but I'm leaning more towards BH.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#3 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 18 December 2010 - 06:55 AM

From BH:

‘Modest relevance,’ the demon said. ‘I would tell you a tale, brother. Early in the clan’s history, many centuries past, there arose, like a breath of gas from the deep, a new cult. Chosen as its representative god was the most remote, most distant of gods among the pantheon. A god that was, in truth, indifferent to the clans of my kind. A god that spoke naught to any mortal, that intervened never in mortal affairs. Morbid. The leaders of the cult proclaimed themselves the voice of that god. They wrote down laws, prohibitions, ascribances, propitiations, blasphemies, punishments for nonconformity, for dispute and derivations. This was but rumour, said details maintained in vague fugue, until such time as the cult achieved domination and with domination, absolute power.
‘Terrible enforcement, terrible crimes committed in the name of the silent god. Leaders came and went, each further twisting words already twisted by mundane ambition and the zeal for unity. Entire pools were poisoned. Others drained and the silts seeded with salt. Eggs were crushed. Mothers dismembered. And our people were plunged into a paradise of fear, the laws made manifest and spilled blood the tears of necessity. False regret with chilling gleam in the centre eye. No relief awaited, and each generation suffered more than the last.’
L’oric studied the demon at his side. ‘What happened?’
‘Seven great warriors from seven clans set out to find the Silent God, set out to see for themselves if this god had indeed blessed all that had come to pass in its name.’
‘And did they find the silent god?’
‘Yes, and too, they found the reason for its silence. The god was dead. It had died with the first drop of blood spilled in its name.’
‘I see, and what is the relevance of this tale of yours, however modest?’
‘Perhaps this. The existence of many gods conveys true complexity of mortal life. Conversely, the assertion of but one god leads to a denial of complexity, and encourages the need to make the world simple. Not the fault of the god, but a crime committed by its believers.’
‘If a god does not like what is done in its name, then it should act.’
‘Yet, if each crime committed in its name weakens it... very soon, I think, it has no power left and so cannot act, and so, ultimately, it dies.’
‘You come from a strange world, Greyfrog.’
‘Yes.’
‘I find your story most disturbing.’
‘Yes.’
‘We must undertake a long journey now, Greyfrog.’
‘I am ready, brother.’
‘In the world I know,’ L’oric said, ‘many gods feed on blood.’
‘As do many mortals.’
The High Mage nodded. ‘Have you said your goodbyes Greyfrog?’
‘I have.’
‘Then let us leave this place.’

Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#4 User is offline   Durhang 

• Lost Lurker

Posted 18 December 2010 - 06:59 AM

Thank you guys so much! It's been bugging me trying to find it for a couple days now.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users