• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

ICE has finished this book

#21 User is offline   Pig Iron 

• First Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 16 December 2010 - 09:07 PM

View PostJenisapt Rul, on 15 December 2010 - 07:54 PM, said:

As for the Darujistan Novel. I really like the Orb, Scepter, Throne title. For the uninitiated it may sound weird, but for any Malazan fan, that name is packed with secrets and power.

I seem to recall that K'rul was connected with one of thos ecards, was it Orb? Any other references that people can remember?

Exactly, that title gets any MBOTF fanatic going.

#22 User is offline   Ceda Cicero 

• Ceda of Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 16 December 2010 - 09:18 PM

View PostPig Iron, on 16 December 2010 - 09:07 PM, said:

View PostJenisapt Rul, on 15 December 2010 - 07:54 PM, said:

As for the Darujistan Novel. I really like the Orb, Scepter, Throne title. For the uninitiated it may sound weird, but for any Malazan fan, that name is packed with secrets and power.

I seem to recall that K'rul was connected with one of thos ecards, was it Orb? Any other references that people can remember?

Exactly, that title gets any MBOTF fanatic going.

Idunno... It's still just strange to me. List-like. Awkward. I'm a fanatic and the prospect of Orb, Scepter, and Throne being centerpieces of the plot appeals to me (kind of... actually.. not really, even) but that doesn't mean I think that makes a great title. Ublala Pung's Girth would be a name that's packed with secrets and power too, but it would be a terrible title.

Well......

View PostIlluyankas, on 07 April 2011 - 08:37 PM, said:

How do you rape a cave? Do you ask, "You want to fuck, yes?" hear the echo come back, "Yes... es... es..." and get your barnacle-gouged groove on?

#23 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 16 December 2010 - 09:48 PM

So, if the book has been finished for a while, has a release date been set for the Darujistan Novel/Orb, Scepter and Throne?

#24 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 16 December 2010 - 09:55 PM

View PostCiceronian, on 16 December 2010 - 09:18 PM, said:

Ublala Pung's Girth would be a name that's packed with secrets

How so? We already know more than I care to about Pung's junk.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#25 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 16 December 2010 - 10:42 PM

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 16 December 2010 - 09:55 PM, said:

Well, he did get the dragon armor upgrade and is now leveling up with Draconus on the way to the convergence. The junk could have changed!

I maintain that the title is clunky. The previous three books (Night of Knives, The Return of the Crimson Guard and Stonewielder) all gave a pretty clear image of what exactly is going on. Orb, Scepter and Throne is the single most nebulous title in the series outside of Toll the Hounds.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#26 User is offline   Khellendros 

• Saboteur of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 17 December 2010 - 12:09 PM

I quite like the title, with one caveat.

They must spell "Sceptre" like so, and none of this American-style "Scepter" nonsense :p
"I think I've made a terrible error of judgement."

#27 User is offline   Steve Halter 

• Mage

Posted 17 December 2010 - 02:55 PM

View Postamphibian, on 16 December 2010 - 08:02 PM, said:

View PostSteve Halter, on 16 December 2010 - 07:35 PM, said:

We react that books take a long time in post production before they finally reach readers.

Not so. Five months is probably an average turnaround between handing in the final manuscript and actual publication of the book.

Having two years between finishing the writing and publication of the book usually means that the book was either shelved or that the post-writing process was very long. Judging from ICE's comments, the first is more likely.

True, two years is somewhat on the long side. I guess we can ask him when we get there why it took two years in post production.

#28 User is offline   pat5150 

• Soletaken

Posted 18 December 2010 - 04:54 AM

Well, I'm excited! :p

Patrick
For book reviews, author interviews, giveaways, related articles and news, and much more, check out www.fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com

#29 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 18 December 2010 - 11:50 AM

It's not that surprising that the Darujhistan novel has been finished for two years, when you consider that NoK was finished in 2004 (taking until 2007 to be published by Bantam), Return of the Crimson Guard was published in 2008, but as I recall was largely finished when NoK was published in 2004, giving ICE 4 years in between to write stonewielder and OST. It's taken ICE a while for Bantam to really get behind him, hence the slow publishing schedule. I wouldn't be surprised if the fourth book is nearly finished to be honest.

That said I was surprised that stonewielder didn't manage a 2009 release, I guess they were waiting for some sales numbers to decide whether to continue publishing, they certainly had hold of the stonewielder manuscript for a while. Hopefully we'll get OST next year, instead of a 2 year wait again.

#30 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 19 December 2010 - 02:00 PM

I reckon that while it's partly to do with waiting to see what reception ICE will get, it's also to do with keeping the Malazan franchise continuous now that Erikson's finished the main spine and will be taking longer breaks between books. Despite being slightly out of whack internal chronology wise due to it, the timing of the release of ICE's two books seems useful to establishing that he's a key part of the work and not just a side-story guy, and I think it's not unlikely that after TCG the next two, perhaps three, Malazan books will be his. If they get OST out around this time next year or earlier there's a regularity of his releases conducive to establishing his name, which they wouldn't have had if they'd released the previous ones instantly.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#31 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 10 January 2011 - 10:31 PM

I've heard that the next book has been pencilled in by Bantam for a December 2011 release. The title the book is listed under is Sceptre and Throne, however, not Orb, Sceptre, Throne. Not sure whether that's a mistake or a reflection that the book's final title is not yet set.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#32 User is offline   WhiskeyJackDaniels 

• Emperor

Posted 11 January 2011 - 01:51 AM

View PostWerthead, on 10 January 2011 - 10:31 PM, said:

I've heard that the next book has been pencilled in by Bantam for a December 2011 release. The title the book is listed under is Sceptre and Throne, however, not Orb, Sceptre, Throne. Not sure whether that's a mistake or a reflection that the book's final title is not yet set.

Scepter and Throne is a much better sounding title than the initial one thrown around. Especially since we hafta assume its going to be about the return of the Tyrant. I'm not sure how Orb was going to fit in there.
So, you're the historian who survived the Chain of Dogs.
Actually, I didn't.

It seems you stand alone.
It was ever thus.

#33 User is offline   Pig Iron 

• First Sword

Posted 11 January 2011 - 09:45 AM

View Postamphibian, on 16 December 2010 - 10:42 PM, said:

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 16 December 2010 - 09:55 PM, said:

Well, he did get the dragon armor upgrade and is now leveling up with Draconus on the way to the convergence. The junk could have changed!

I maintain that the title is clunky. The previous three books (Night of Knives, The Return of the Crimson Guard and Stonewielder) all gave a pretty clear image of what exactly is going on. Orb, Scepter and Throne is the single most nebulous title in the series outside of Toll the Hounds.

Huh? I thought it obvious Orb and Scepter was all about Ublalas junk. Though unless there has been an accident involving Draconus, "Orbs" must be considered the more correct form in the title. Artistic license and so on I guess.

This post has been edited by Pig Iron: 11 January 2011 - 01:29 PM

#34 User is offline   Crow Clan Baby 

• Lieutenant

Posted 11 January 2011 - 10:39 PM

Orb, Scepter and Throne are unaligned cards in the Deck. Gesler, Grub and Stormy, respectively. http://malazan.wikia.../wiki/Unaligned

:D

I agree the name sounds a mite on the clumsy side, but it's chock-full of Malazan awesomeness despite that.

#35 User is offline   L'oric 

• High Fist

Posted 12 January 2011 - 05:36 PM

View PostCrow Clan Baby, on 11 January 2011 - 10:39 PM, said:

Orb, Scepter and Throne are unaligned cards in the Deck. Gesler, Grub and Stormy, respectively. http://malazan.wikia.../wiki/Unaligned

:p

I agree the name sounds a mite on the clumsy side, but it's chock-full of Malazan awesomeness despite that.

Well those are the current holder of those titles as far as Lether goes. while I wouldnt mind a permanent Orb Sceptre and Throne in the deck I dont think this is the case for any of those characters. I would be surprised if any of them made their way back to Darujhistan for the Tyrant...unless the Tyrant was KCCM or had something to do with the new warrens of icarium's.

things that make you go hmmmm.
What I do not know fills many more volumes than what I do know.

#36 User is offline   Bauchelain the Evil 

• Greatest necromancer ever
  • Not much

Posted 12 January 2011 - 07:12 PM

View PostWhiskeyJackDaniels, on 11 January 2011 - 01:51 AM, said:

View PostWerthead, on 10 January 2011 - 10:31 PM, said:

Scepter and Throne is a much better sounding title than the initial one thrown around. Especially since we hafta assume its going to be about the return of the Tyrant. I'm not sure how Orb was going to fit in there.

Well, Orb is actually a symbol of royal power, too

This post has been edited by Bauchelain the Evil: 12 January 2011 - 07:12 PM

Adept of Team Quick Ben

I greet you as guests and so will not crush the life from you and devour your soul with peals of laughter. No, instead, I will make tea-Gothos

#37 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe

Posted 12 January 2011 - 09:18 PM

I been wondering if Orb, Sceptre and Throne in the Deck of Dragons represents the roles of Shield Anvil, Destraint and Mortal Sword (Stormy, Gesler)

Would make a twisted sense, the return of the Tyrants minions!

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#38 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 13 January 2011 - 08:34 PM

Interestingly, the phrase "for Sceptre and Throne" shows up in RotCG, spoken by the Malazans.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#39 User is offline   epicfantasynerd 

• Recruit

Posted 14 January 2011 - 05:59 PM

Hello, first post - long time MBoTF reader and follower of the forum.

Was doing my re-read in anticipation of tCG and on page 751 of the Bonehunters hardcover - during Fiddler's game with the Deck of Dragon's before Tavore meets Laseen:

"In seventy heartbeats we'll be sling closest to that rocky coast, and Nok's ship will be even closer, and Grub will dive overboard. He's got three friends living in the caves in the cliff and here are their cards-' ... 'Crown, Sceptre, Orb. Hmm, let's ignore those for now."

Now it's not exactly the same as the title, but surely not just a coincidence. Or maybe it is.

Just thought I'd point it out as I read the passage like less than a day after reading this post and it really struck a chord and even made me register and type my first post.

EFN

#40 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 15 January 2011 - 01:14 AM

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 13 January 2011 - 08:34 PM, said:

Interestingly, the phrase "for Sceptre and Throne" shows up in RotCG, spoken by the Malazans.

View Postepicfantasynerd, on 14 January 2011 - 05:59 PM, said:

Hello, first post - long time MBoTF reader and follower of the forum.

Was doing my re-read in anticipation of tCG and on page 751 of the Bonehunters hardcover - during Fiddler's game with the Deck of Dragon's before Tavore meets Laseen:

"In seventy heartbeats we'll be sling closest to that rocky coast, and Nok's ship will be even closer, and Grub will dive overboard. He's got three friends living in the caves in the cliff and here are their cards-' ... 'Crown, Sceptre, Orb. Hmm, let's ignore those for now."

Now it's not exactly the same as the title, but surely not just a coincidence. Or maybe it is.

Just thought I'd point it out as I read the passage like less than a day after reading this post and it really struck a chord and even made me register and type my first post.

EFN

Wow those are some great pickups guys. I'd rep you both if I could. IIRC though weren't those cards referring to the Nachts that Grub met in the cave? Nevertheless, we do see those cards in conjunction fairly frequently. GotM, BH and DoD, off the top of my head.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users