Its called
Orb Sceptre, Throne

(Beat you to it Wert!)

#2 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 15 December 2010 - 06:15 PM

I really hope that the title gets changed. Orb, Scepter and Throne is very clunky.

One thing learned from the interview was that NoK and RotCG were written many years ago and then updated for the new publication deal that ICE got. SW is his first recent project and judging by the generally very positive reviews on here, he's improved since then. I was a bit leery at the quick turnaround time for the Darujhistan book, but he says he finished SW two years ago, so that's plenty of time to deliver a great book.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#3 User is offline   Ceda Cicero 

• Ceda of Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 15 December 2010 - 06:43 PM

Jesus God that title is awful.

View PostIlluyankas, on 07 April 2011 - 08:37 PM, said:

How do you rape a cave? Do you ask, "You want to fuck, yes?" hear the echo come back, "Yes... es... es..." and get your barnacle-gouged groove on?

#4 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe

Posted 15 December 2010 - 06:50 PM

great news on the novellas and the fact that darujhistan book is finished... cannot wait for either!

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#5 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 15 December 2010 - 06:51 PM

The title is fine; Esselmont's books are unlikely to reach out to new readers anyway. I just can't wait for this book!

#6 User is offline   Ceda Cicero 

• Ceda of Team Quick Ben

Posted 15 December 2010 - 06:55 PM

View PostEnd of Disc One, on 15 December 2010 - 06:51 PM, said:

The title is fine; Esselmont's books are unlikely to reach out to new readers anyway. I just can't wait for this book!

Regardless of whether or not the title is accessible I still think it sounds awkward as hell. BUT, I can't wait either.

View PostIlluyankas, on 07 April 2011 - 08:37 PM, said:

How do you rape a cave? Do you ask, "You want to fuck, yes?" hear the echo come back, "Yes... es... es..." and get your barnacle-gouged groove on?

#7 User is offline   Ulrik 

• Highest Marshall of Mott Irregulars

Posted 15 December 2010 - 07:25 PM

Well...I like the title...Im weird...probably...:p
Adept Ulrik - Highest Marshall of Quick Ben's Irregulars
Being optimistic´s worthless if it means ignoring the suffering of this world. Worse than worthless. It´s bloody evil.
- Fiddler

#8 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 15 December 2010 - 07:26 PM

The title is perfect. (tho i'm pretty sure it's missing a comma)

And that's excellent news. we could even get post TCG but still next year. Not that i'm complaining if it's the following year. between ICE and SE we should continue to get a yearly fix of Malazan and that's fine with moi!
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#9 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 15 December 2010 - 07:26 PM

I like it, though I assume there's another comma in there. Orb, Sceptre, Throne. Interesting that those are three of the Unaligned cards in the Deck.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#10 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 15 December 2010 - 07:54 PM

AHA! Found this comment among the answers where Esslemont is talking about the face off in NoK:

But I will say that one of my favourite moments, and I believe Steve’s, is approached by Knives. It’s the moment Laseen takes the empire and Kellanved and Dancer have been usurped to journey on to an uncertain, but perhaps greater, future. They lie wet and dying on the shore and Kellanved howls: Noooooo! We laughed so much when we played the moment. It’s still one of my favourites.

This may possibly just have been the scenario during their original playthroughs, but I will take that as proof that they were not dead when they fell of the balcony.

As for the Darujistan Novel. I really like the Orb, Scepter, Throne title. For the uninitiated it may sound weird, but for any Malazan fan, that name is packed with secrets and power.

I seem to recall that K'rul was connected with one of thos ecards, was it Orb? Any other references that people can remember?

#11 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe

Posted 15 December 2010 - 08:09 PM

View PostJenisapt Rul, on 15 December 2010 - 07:54 PM, said:

AHA! Found this comment among the answers where Esslemont is talking about the face off in NoK:

But I will say that one of my favourite moments, and I believe Steve's, is approached by Knives. It's the moment Laseen takes the empire and Kellanved and Dancer have been usurped to journey on to an uncertain, but perhaps greater, future. They lie wet and dying on the shore and Kellanved howls: Noooooo! We laughed so much when we played the moment. It's still one of my favourites.

This may possibly just have been the scenario during their original playthroughs, but I will take that as proof that they were not dead when they fell of the balcony.

As for the Darujistan Novel. I really like the Orb, Scepter, Throne title. For the uninitiated it may sound weird, but for any Malazan fan, that name is packed with secrets and power.

I seem to recall that K'rul was connected with one of thos ecards, was it Orb? Any other references that people can remember?

Off the top of my head, weren't the three nachts drawn these cards and also Grub/Gesler drawn one of these cards in Lether...

Whilst typing that remembered I posted about this somewhere... And found...

---------------------

Liked the fact that Gesler got the Orb, maybe to keep his ego in check! normally given to a monarch to remind them that there is a higher power than him or her out there (applic to Gods or KCCM?!?)

and

The sceptre for Grub, back in the day it was a token of the monarchs earthly power, highly significant for how his magic has developed

---------------------

In reference to Darujhistan... Got to be with regards to The Tyrant!!!

This post has been edited by champooon: 15 December 2010 - 08:10 PM

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#12 User is offline   Steve Halter 

• Mage

Posted 15 December 2010 - 08:17 PM

But I will say that one of my favourite moments, and I believe Steve's, is approached by Knives. It's the moment Laseen takes the empire and Kellanved and Dancer have been usurped to journey on to an uncertain, but perhaps greater, future. They lie wet and dying on the shore and Kellanved howls: Noooooo! We laughed so much when we played the moment. It's still one of my favourites.

That's how I read that answer, also. They were lying at the base, gravely damaged. I had asked just how dead they were earlier in the answer thread and his reply also seemed to indicate that they were only dead enough to weaken the bonds of the spirit.

#13 User is offline   WhiskeyJackDaniels 

• Emperor

Posted 15 December 2010 - 08:34 PM

In GotM K'rul tells Raest that his aspect was Obelisk. Maybe that's what you're thinking of?
So, you're the historian who survived the Chain of Dogs.
Actually, I didn't.

It seems you stand alone.
It was ever thus.

#14 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 15 December 2010 - 08:51 PM

Hmm. Maybe. But Obelisk is supposed to be the Tile for Burn isn't it?

#15 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 15 December 2010 - 09:09 PM

re St/Cots - we know enough from NoK to safely say they were never really dead dead in the dead sense, but they had to appear to be.

re O/S/T - mandatory reminder that a card linked to a person in a Deck of Dragons reading does not mean that card is permanently associated with the person.

#16 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 15 December 2010 - 09:30 PM

View PostAbyss, on 15 December 2010 - 09:09 PM, said:

re St/Cots - we know enough from NoK to safely say they were never really dead dead in the dead sense, but they had to appear to be.

There's nothing in NoK that says ("safely") that Laseen didn't actually kill them. In NoK, being dead didn't stop you from walking around during the Shadow Moon (see: Oleg, and Ash's compatriot.) So if entering Shadowkeep through the Deadhouse required being dead but not yet through Hood's Gate, then the Shadow Moon was the only time to pull off what ST/Cots did.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#17 User is offline   Khellendros 

• Saboteur of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 16 December 2010 - 11:35 AM

Well!!

How do we react to the news that SW was completed two years ago? For me, that makes the book quite a bit more disappointing, as he then supposedly had two years to flesh it out a bit, especially something along the lines of this:

On being asked by someone who hadn't yet read RotCG or SW if he was going to write more about the Stormriders, he said:

"Well, well, well. Stonewielder is the novel for you! (Though I would recommend you tackle it after Return). I’m very glad to hear that the Riders interested you. If you do get to Stonewielder my hope is that you will come away musing: ahh! So that’s how it all fits together…. Actually, that’s our hope for every novel in the series come to think about it."

"aah! That's how it all fits together..." was certainly not my first thought on reading SW.

I am still overjoyed to hear that the Darujhistan novel is already done, though - can't wait for my fix!

AND! Did everyone else catch that he wants to do early Empire novellas! That's just what was being talked about in another thread here in which people were saying what they'd most like to see written about now!
"I think I've made a terrible error of judgement."

#18 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 16 December 2010 - 02:15 PM

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 15 December 2010 - 09:30 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 15 December 2010 - 09:09 PM, said:

There's nothing in NoK that says ("safely") that Laseen didn't actually kill them. In NoK, being dead didn't stop you from walking around during the Shadow Moon (see: Oleg, and Ash's compatriot.) So if entering Shadowkeep through the Deadhouse required being dead but not yet through Hood's Gate, then the Shadow Moon was the only time to pull off what ST/Cots did.

But then there would have been a bodies as was w Oleg (iirc).

#19 User is offline   Steve Halter 

• Mage

Posted 16 December 2010 - 07:35 PM

View PostKhellendros, on 16 December 2010 - 11:35 AM, said:

Well!!

How do we react to the news that SW was completed two years ago?

We react that books take a long time in post production before they finally reach readers.

#20 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 16 December 2010 - 08:02 PM

View PostSteve Halter, on 16 December 2010 - 07:35 PM, said:

We react that books take a long time in post production before they finally reach readers.

Not so. Five months is probably an average turnaround between handing in the final manuscript and actual publication of the book.

Having two years between finishing the writing and publication of the book usually means that the book was either shelved or that the post-writing process was very long. Judging from ICE's comments, the first is more likely.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users