Malazan Empire: Stormriders in general and their inability to read a map. - Malazan Empire

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Stormriders in general and their inability to read a map. SPOILERS Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 20 December 2010 - 09:37 PM

View PostMentalist, on 20 December 2010 - 09:31 PM, said:

... taking another look at the map, I can't help but think there are other ways to get to the Hole that do not involve breaking through the wall...

It's a magic wall. Just accept it. :blink:
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#22 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 20 December 2010 - 09:40 PM

oh, I've got no issues with it. I found it awesome irony when we get that scene with Hiam. I mean, it actually resonated with me on a deep level--very simithelar to the whole "The sword must be destroyed" thing we've gotten earlier.

though i suppose the haters will just complain that ICE ripped THAT from SE as well, :blink:
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#23 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 20 December 2010 - 10:28 PM

well the two inflows to the area behind the stormwall, at dourkan and theft, are both pretty narrow channels. there's gotta be some reason why the riders couldn't pass through them. too shallow maybe? or maybe the stormwall itself, being a construct blessed by the flesh of the lady, demanded their attention by virtue of its existence alone. that's always the way it seemed to me.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#24 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 28 December 2010 - 03:23 AM

View PostAbyss, on 13 December 2010 - 10:22 PM, said:

And as regards NoK, if their goal is to destroy the CG fragments, what did they achieve by attacking Malaz Isle? Was it to usurp the power of the Shadow House to destroy the CG fragments?

Yep. Power grab.

Well, not quite. They made a deal with Jhenna that meant if they helped free her she in turn would help them. However, Agayla Obo, Tayschrenn and the fisherman thwart their efforts. The reason's been in NoK the whole time.

The Riders cared nothing for them. They were here for another reason, answering some inhuman summons, heaving themselves northward, an invading army throwing its might against the one thing that had confined them so long to this narrow passage: the island of Malaz.

'Malaz would fall, no longer a barrier forestalling the Riders' expanse. That is the ancient worry, is it not? That free of the confines of the strait, they would dominate the seas? A menace to all?'

The only logical reason for them to seek the House and its power would be to break the defenses on Malaz island, thus their alliance with Jhenna. It does not make sense for them to seek Shadow.

View PostAbyss, on 20 December 2010 - 09:22 PM, said:

View PostMentalist, on 20 December 2010 - 09:14 PM, said:

iirc, in NoK, the Riders made a deal with the Jhaghut guardian to attack the House and free her. that was the only reason they turned up by Malaz.

Don't think so. NoK seemed to make it clear that fisherman god guy had been rowing out to stop them any number of times before, but was significantly weakened because of the Mouse purges.

also, crazy theory: the chunk of CG that fell in the Ocean of stroms opened up the way for to the Rider's home. it is the one place where they can enter Wu. or something....

Probably not crazy at all. And maybe the only place they can get back was blocked by the Stormwall.

It's not crazy at all. In NoK Tayschrenn witnesses a 'heart of otherworldly ice' that lies deep within a trench in the Sea of Storms. Tayschrenn likens the power to D'rek power, which he says 'gnaws at the heart of the World', and could be where they enter Wu. Could also explain their relationship to Burn, but that connection is a bit trickier to fathom.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#25 User is offline   Studlock 

• First Sword

Posted 18 February 2011 - 06:37 AM

Having just read the prolouge I had a crazy thought about the Stormriders. In the first scene we are shown the Cripple God being pulled down to Wu and a man being swallowed by the tidal wave that followed. In the next scene we are shown a proto-Storm Wall. For some reason I connected the orignal victims of the tidal wave to the attackers (Stormriders) in the next scene. It would most certainly give them motive for hating the Cripple God, and maybe even given them there magic, since the tidal was born from the god who was broken apart, and most likely bleeding and as we know blood=power. Or I could be totally of the mark.

#26 User is offline   Beliar 

• Sergeant

Posted 24 February 2011 - 04:31 PM

View PostStudlock, on 18 February 2011 - 06:37 AM, said:

Having just read the prolouge I had a crazy thought about the Stormriders. In the first scene we are shown the Cripple God being pulled down to Wu and a man being swallowed by the tidal wave that followed. In the next scene we are shown a proto-Storm Wall. For some reason I connected the orignal victims of the tidal wave to the attackers (Stormriders) in the next scene. It would most certainly give them motive for hating the Cripple God, and maybe even given them there magic, since the tidal was born from the god who was broken apart, and most likely bleeding and as we know blood=power. Or I could be totally of the mark.

Right or wrong it's a new view from which to look at it. I'd say + marks for not following the standard but sadly i think it is something none of us will get a resolution to lol

#27 User is offline   Drusas Achamian 

• Recruit

Posted 09 March 2011 - 03:45 PM

About the origins of the Stormriders: this could be a possible clue - Quick Ben on Ruthan Gudd, charging the K'Chain Nah'ruk: '' A Mael-bit Nerruse-whore-spawn Stormrider. '' (DoD)

This could suggest that the Stormriders are spawn of the Gods of the seas (in a possible union perhaps?). As we all known, Mael is of course the Elder God of the Seas, while Nerruse belongs to the 'second generation' of gods and is the Goddess/Lady of Calm Seas and Fair Winds. I believe it is mentioned somewhere that Nerruse and Beru, Lord (or Lady?) of Storms are children to Mael. If we put the Stormriders in this context, than we could make a comparisson with the whole Kilmandor/Sechul Lath/(Oponn?)/Forkrul Assail-relationship. A such a way that the Forkrul Assail are children/created by Kilmandaros, the Stormrider could be created by Mael and/or Nerruse (perhaps in a incenstous bonding?).

If we put this in the back of our heads, the following two scenes would make more sense:

1. When the sorcery of his Stormrider-sword is activated, Ruthan Gudd thinks: '' She answers. She answers...what'? '' (DoD)

'' She '' could be Nerruse, aiding the man whom here children, the Stormriders, gave a magical sword.

2. Olar Ethil to Mael: ' '' Your daughters run wild. '' The old man shrugged. ''Daughters wild do that. Rather, the would do that. I would be disappointed otherwise. It's a poor father who does not nudge and then cut loos..''

The '' daughters '' that Olar Ethil mentioned could be Nerruse and Beru - I believe it's not clear if it's a he or a she - children of Mael. The '' run wild ''-part could be referencing to the troubles on the seas and the Stormwall, created by the Stormriders, perhaps in command of Nerruse and Beru.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users