• You cannot reply to this topic

ICE book covers a similarity i noticed

#1 User is offline   mcsekar 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 05 December 2010 - 03:28 AM

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Anyone notice that a ship is present in all the covers. Somebody seems to have a fascination with ships. They looks quite similar to me, except for the viewpoint and the background, which sometimes has buildings.

Below, I have converted them all to grayscale so that the similarity is enchanced even more. What are your thoughts?

#2 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 05 December 2010 - 03:34 AM

The last ICE book about Assail will feature a setpiece in a hitherto unmentioned desert. The cover will feature men on horseback riding out of a dust storm with ships in the background, snarling viciously. It'll be called Deadship Gates.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#3 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 05 December 2010 - 03:58 AM

Did anyone notice the ocean?

#4 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 05 December 2010 - 04:07 AM

It's a schooner!

Ha! It's a boat!

A schooner is a boat!

The Assail book will feature a cover with a boat made out of T'lan Imass bones, being crewed by bhokarala.

This post has been edited by HoosierDaddy: 05 December 2010 - 04:09 AM

Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#5 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 05 December 2010 - 04:13 AM

It will be subtitled 'Gardens of the Gates of Icy Memorabilia to the House of Tides and Knives while Hunting for Bones and Reaping Tolls as well as Dreaming of Dust and Crippled Gods and Returning Guards Wielding Stone: Electric Boogaloo 2'.

This post has been edited by Illuyankas: 05 December 2010 - 04:14 AM

Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#6 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 05 December 2010 - 04:36 AM

I wonder how he'll pull off a boat on the Darujhistan novel. Ship on Lake Azur? Or perhaps a ship around the Seguleh island, as those crazy swordsman are supposed to play a pretty big role.
uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#7 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 05 December 2010 - 04:46 AM

I think we're going to need a bigger boat. Maybe. Probably.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#8 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 05 December 2010 - 05:03 AM

It's less surprising when you realize Greymane is actually

Posted Image
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#9 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 05 December 2010 - 06:43 AM

All three covers are by Steve Stone, who also did this cover:

Posted Image
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#10 User is offline   mcsekar 

• Recruit

Posted 05 December 2010 - 06:49 AM

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 05 December 2010 - 06:43 AM, said:

All three covers are by Steve Stone, who also did this cover:

Posted Image

LOL

#11 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 05 December 2010 - 06:52 AM

Oh God, I can see the 'Going Assailing' puns already...
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#12 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 05 December 2010 - 11:12 AM

It's by Steve Stone, the guy LOVES re-using the ten or so images he's got, apparently, which consist of either ships or dudes with shields. And he about overdid himself by combining the two for Stonewielder. One can only jump in expectant joy of what the next ICE cover will sport. Al least we don't need to worry about the colour scheme.

I'd bet there's a conspiracy going on.
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#13 User is online   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 07 December 2010 - 03:56 PM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on 05 December 2010 - 04:07 AM, said:

It's a schooner!

Ha! It's a boat!

A schooner is a boat!

Mallrats rules!

Edit

Interesting to see if he can get a ship on the Darujhistan novel cover...

This post has been edited by champooon: 07 December 2010 - 04:16 PM

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#14 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 07 December 2010 - 05:12 PM

That figure on the back of the ship on the RotCG cover looks way too big? Unless it's Ereko, but I didn't realise their boat was that big in the first place.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#15 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 07 December 2010 - 07:54 PM

View PostTraveller, on 07 December 2010 - 05:12 PM, said:

That figure on the back of the ship on the RotCG cover looks way too big? Unless it's Ereko, but I didn't realise their boat was that big in the first place.

Yeah, that's always bugged me.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#16 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 07 December 2010 - 08:46 PM

View PostPuck, on 05 December 2010 - 11:12 AM, said:

Al least we don't need to worry about the colour scheme.

Not true, Steve Stone uses anything from an overpowering red tint to overpowering purple tints!

Seriously, the guy loves his monochramticism. If the 3 ICE covers and all the new SE covers aren't proof enough, go here and trying finding an image that has 2 colours that aren't blue and orange.

This post has been edited by D'rek: 07 December 2010 - 08:51 PM

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#17 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 08 December 2010 - 03:55 AM

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 07 December 2010 - 07:54 PM, said:

View PostTraveller, on 07 December 2010 - 05:12 PM, said:

Yeah, that's always bugged me.

Me too. I mean, it's not stocky enough to be Ereko, and too tall to be Traveller. Unless it's the Kestral, but I don't think there are Avowed seven or eight feet tall.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#18 User is offline   Veilside 

• High Fist

Posted 17 December 2010 - 07:51 PM

View PostD, on 07 December 2010 - 08:46 PM, said:

View PostPuck, on 05 December 2010 - 11:12 AM, said:

Al least we don't need to worry about the colour scheme.

Not true, Steve Stone uses anything from an overpowering red tint to overpowering purple tints!

Seriously, the guy loves his monochramticism. If the 3 ICE covers and all the new SE covers aren't proof enough, go here and trying finding an image that has 2 colours that aren't blue and orange.

This is relevant.

#19 User is offline   Captain Beardface 

• Mason of Serc
  • Interests:Rugby, Darts, Quality Beer, Heavy Metal... Hard Rock in general

Posted 08 January 2011 - 02:58 PM

I don't like the fact that the dust cover isn't one continuous piece that wraps around the book... the lines separating the front and back covers from the spine is rather jarring...
Monsignor:...Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.
Connor: [as the brothers exit the church] I do believe the monsignor's finally got the point.
Murphy: Aye.

Boondock Saints

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users