• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Tattersail and Calot their physical reactions to sorcery

#1 User is offline   Trailblazer 

• Ojibwa
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Surfing and reading

Posted 03 December 2010 - 03:28 PM

At the beginning of GotM, Tattersail and Calot have actual physical reactions to the presence of sorcery. Tatīs is a migraine headache, while Calot gets watery eyes (tears). Alright. I am now on Midnight Tides, and I donīt recall any of characters having similar physical reactions to the presence of sorcery. Why is that? Usually a character either acknowledges the presence or not. Is this a thread that SE decided to not pursue out of convenience (which I totally understand)?

#2 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 03 December 2010 - 03:37 PM

View PostTrailblazer, on 03 December 2010 - 03:28 PM, said:

At the beginning of GotM, Tattersail and Calot have actual physical reactions to the presence of sorcery. Tatīs is a migraine headache, while Calot gets watery eyes (tears). Alright. I am now on Midnight Tides, and I donīt recall any of characters having similar physical reactions to the presence of sorcery. Why is that? Usually a character either acknowledges the presence or not. Is this a thread that SE decided to not pursue out of convenience (which I totally understand)?

I cant really discuss it in detail without revealing spoilers in the GotM forum but up to GotM, iirc in Darujhistan, when Rake arrives to a meeting with Baruk it's explained that his arrival is like a huge pressure welling up... causing mages to reel from the power, it's more a reaction to the sheer power involved than just the presence of sorcery...

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#3 User is offline   Kanubis 

• Captain of Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 03 December 2010 - 03:40 PM

Spoiler below contains MoI stuff...

To answer.. maybe. Could be shear amount of power there,

Spoiler

Really not sure to be honest!
Captain of Team Quick Ben. Also teaboy.

#4 User is offline   HiddenOne 

• Mortal Sword
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 03 December 2010 - 03:57 PM

I always thought of it like this:

A wizard could sense magic activity by seeking it out with his/her senses. At times, certain powerful casters would either use so much power or perform an act of a magnitude that would announce its existence without need for "questing" and in fact overwhelm any defenses against detection that caster might possess.

For example, you might listen carefully to hear a child moving about in the next room, and (14) 3-year olds in your face are undeniable and annoying.

Now I wonder if Anomander Rake was a difficult child to discipline...
HiddenOne. You son of a bitch. You slimy, skulking, low-posting scumbag. You knew it would come to this. Roundabout, maybe. Tortuous, certainly. But here we are, you and me again. I started the train on you so many many hours ago, and now I'm going to finish it. Die HO. Die. This is for last time, and this is for this game too. This is for all the people who died to your backstabbing, treacherous, "I sure don't know what's going on around here" filthy lying, deceitful ways. You son of a bitch. Whatever happens, this is justice. For me, this is justice. Vote HiddenOne Finally, I am at peace.

#5 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 03 December 2010 - 06:23 PM

Iirc at one point early on T'sail mentions that Tays' Thyr warren is anathema to her Tennes or something like that.

There might be an element of deliberate power-playing to this. when Rake strolls around the fete at the end of GotM people aren't dropping with headaches, tho later when he draws Dragnipur i think it's Crokus who is nearbye and starts bleeding out his ears or something.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#6 User is offline   ansible 

Posted 03 December 2010 - 07:11 PM

I'm going from memory here, but:

(NoK spoilers)
Spoiler

We sail in and out of Time, then back again. There is only one ship, the captain says. All the ships we hail between the galaxies or suns are this ship.

#7 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 03 December 2010 - 07:29 PM

We're getting into spoilerspace here and the subject is sufficiently general that i'm going to move this thread to General Book Threads - please nopte spoilers SPOILERS SPOILERS
ALL BOOKS SPOILERS
SPOILERS
FROM HERE ON
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#8 User is offline   Trailblazer 

• Ojibwa
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Surfing and reading

Posted 04 December 2010 - 04:16 PM

I know that there are other instances in which characters can "sense" the presence of power. But it seems odd that Tattersail and Calot have individual, specific and different reactions to it. In later books, it seems that it's more of a generic 'feeling', as opposed to an individual symptom that varies from character to character.

#9 User is offline   HiddenOne 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 04 December 2010 - 05:16 PM

Perhaps it's more noteworthy on these occasions, or needed to give us an idea of the atmosphere. It would get tiresome to read this same description every time someone unveiled a warren. I'm sure the relationship between the warrens of the user and the one who senses its use has bearing on the perception of the response.
HiddenOne. You son of a bitch. You slimy, skulking, low-posting scumbag. You knew it would come to this. Roundabout, maybe. Tortuous, certainly. But here we are, you and me again. I started the train on you so many many hours ago, and now I'm going to finish it. Die HO. Die. This is for last time, and this is for this game too. This is for all the people who died to your backstabbing, treacherous, "I sure don't know what's going on around here" filthy lying, deceitful ways. You son of a bitch. Whatever happens, this is justice. For me, this is justice. Vote HiddenOne Finally, I am at peace.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users