Malazan Empire: New Book Review Blog - Malazan Empire

Jump to content

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

New Book Review Blog

#1 User is offline   QuickTidal 

  • General Kenobi
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Posts: 17,889
  • Joined: 05-November 05
  • Location:Winden
  • Interests:Sith Beatdowns

Posted 21 September 2010 - 11:05 AM

Hey all,

Just a quick note to let you all know about a new blog for all things books that is being co-authored by myself and another bookish friend. We both read mainly Sci-Fi and Fantasy but we have been known to branch out to many other genre's. Like Pat, Graeme and others we will try our best to keep you all apprised of all the happenings in the book world. I guess we love books so much we decided to give a little back.

Anyways, Hope you all enjoy. Currently there are a couple of inaugural reviews by each of us, one for Sanderson's THE WAY OF KINGS, and the other for Ken Follet's WORLD WITHOUT END.

http://icebergink.blogspot.com/

QuickTidal (AKA Scott)

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 21 September 2010 - 11:07 AM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora
2

#2 User is offline   Binder of Demons 

  • Lord of Light
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 1,604
  • Joined: 02-March 07
  • Location:Ireland
  • - Thread Killer -

Posted 21 September 2010 - 12:27 PM

Good luck with it. The blog itself looks nice, good clean design.

Though i would try and modify the top banner if possible, as the gray colour is a bit flat relative to the rest of it (and possibly soften the edges of the banner).

But obviously the success or failure of the site will be more dependent on the quality of writing and the subject matter than a trivial item like a banner design. Hope it goes well for you, and for what it's worth i'll check in again.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain

Never argue with an idiot!
They'll drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!
- Anonymous
0

#3 User is offline   Aptorian 

  • How you doin?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War
  • Posts: 23,048
  • Joined: 22-May 06

Posted 21 September 2010 - 12:35 PM

Love the name and pun of the title. Lovely background. Good colours (I don't mind the gray, but maybe it needs a border or something).

Nice set-up all around. Now to see if the content can keep people interested.
0

#4 User is offline   haroos 

  • High Fist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned Users
  • Posts: 370
  • Joined: 03-June 08

Posted 21 September 2010 - 12:49 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 21 September 2010 - 11:05 AM, said:

Hey all,

Just a quick note to let you all know about a new blog for all things books that is being co-authored by myself and another bookish friend. We both read mainly Sci-Fi and Fantasy but we have been known to branch out to many other genre's. Like Pat, Graeme and others we will try our best to keep you all apprised of all the happenings in the book world. I guess we love books so much we decided to give a little back.

Anyways, Hope you all enjoy. Currently there are a couple of inaugural reviews by each of us, one for Sanderson's THE WAY OF KINGS, and the other for Ken Follet's WORLD WITHOUT END.

http://icebergink.blogspot.com/

QuickTidal (AKA Scott)


just please, no vampires, that's all i humbly ask.
no more vampires.

#5 User is offline   QuickTidal 

  • General Kenobi
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Posts: 17,889
  • Joined: 05-November 05
  • Location:Winden
  • Interests:Sith Beatdowns

Posted 21 September 2010 - 11:00 PM

View Postharoos, on 21 September 2010 - 12:49 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 21 September 2010 - 11:05 AM, said:

Hey all,

Just a quick note to let you all know about a new blog for all things books that is being co-authored by myself and another bookish friend. We both read mainly Sci-Fi and Fantasy but we have been known to branch out to many other genre's. Like Pat, Graeme and others we will try our best to keep you all apprised of all the happenings in the book world. I guess we love books so much we decided to give a little back.

Anyways, Hope you all enjoy. Currently there are a couple of inaugural reviews by each of us, one for Sanderson's THE WAY OF KINGS, and the other for Ken Follet's WORLD WITHOUT END.

http://icebergink.blogspot.com/

QuickTidal (AKA Scott)


Only vampires in the Dresden Files.. LOL!


just please, no vampires, that's all i humbly ask.
no more vampires.

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora
0

#6 User is offline   QuickTidal 

  • General Kenobi
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Posts: 17,889
  • Joined: 05-November 05
  • Location:Winden
  • Interests:Sith Beatdowns

Posted 21 September 2010 - 11:06 PM

Thanks all!

We will be looking for contributors often, so if you really want to write up a review for something we haven't done, or just want to stretch your writing chops I'd be happy to look into posting reviews, and or making some folk regular contributors with Chris and I. You can drop me a line here, or I will tonight be setting up an email address for the site and throwing it up on the site. The more contributions we have the more traffic and the better the site will be for all.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora
0

#7 User is offline   pat5150 

  • House Knight
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 1,782
  • Joined: 06-November 05

Posted 22 September 2010 - 05:21 PM

Good luck to the both of you!

If I do decide to hang 'em up, you can pick up the slack! :)

Patrick
For book reviews, author interviews, giveaways, related articles and news, and much more, check out www.fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com
0

#8 User is offline   Abyss 

  • abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Posts: 19,903
  • Joined: 22-May 03
  • Location:The call is coming from inside the house!!!!
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 22 September 2010 - 05:33 PM

@QT - your forum reco's to date have been golden for me so rest assured i'll be paying attention.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT
0

#9 User is offline   Werthead 

  • Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 3,035
  • Joined: 14-November 05

Posted 22 September 2010 - 08:46 PM

Linked :)
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!


"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is
0

#10 User is offline   QuickTidal 

  • General Kenobi
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Posts: 17,889
  • Joined: 05-November 05
  • Location:Winden
  • Interests:Sith Beatdowns

Posted 22 September 2010 - 10:58 PM

Thanks all. We really want to make a concerted effort to keep things interesting and try to stay on the cusp of the industry. Once readership is up, probably get in touch with publishers and get some contests and giveaways going.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora
0

#11 User is offline   QuickTidal 

  • General Kenobi
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Posts: 17,889
  • Joined: 05-November 05
  • Location:Winden
  • Interests:Sith Beatdowns

Posted 22 September 2010 - 11:04 PM

View PostWerthead, on 22 September 2010 - 08:46 PM, said:



This is awesome Wert. Thanks brother. Needless to say with the amount I visit your site, the Wertzone will end up in my blogroll which I have yet to set up, but will in the next few days as I tweak the site.

Also, thanks to Binder Of Demons who has creatively fiddled with the header logo and made it look more ice-y, and so I think the header may change over the next few days.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora
0

#12 User is offline   polishgenius 

  • Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC
  • Posts: 4,918
  • Joined: 16-June 05

Posted 23 September 2010 - 12:43 AM

Good luck with that chap. Like Abyss I tend to pay some attention to your recs so I'll be reading.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.
0

#13 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

  • My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 3,994
  • Joined: 07-February 08
  • Location:Apple Valley, MN

Posted 23 September 2010 - 02:27 AM

That huge grey banner is just really distracting (and takes up an awful lot of real estate). Might I suggest something against a transparent background? Or just make it part of your (non-repeating) background image.

Good luck with the endeavor!

Attached File(s)


"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch
0

#14 User is offline   QuickTidal 

  • General Kenobi
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Posts: 17,889
  • Joined: 05-November 05
  • Location:Winden
  • Interests:Sith Beatdowns

Posted 25 September 2010 - 12:37 AM

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 23 September 2010 - 02:27 AM, said:

That huge grey banner is just really distracting (and takes up an awful lot of real estate). Might I suggest something against a transparent background? Or just make it part of your (non-repeating) background image.

Good luck with the endeavor!


Indeed. Certainly a good idea. I've been a bit busy with the last few days of posts and work, but I plan on updating the header soon. not to worry.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora
0

#15 User is offline   QuickTidal 

  • General Kenobi
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Posts: 17,889
  • Joined: 05-November 05
  • Location:Winden
  • Interests:Sith Beatdowns

Posted 25 September 2010 - 01:05 AM

Advice taken about fixing the distracting header. So I opted to drop the grey background entirely and hit it up transparent style.

Hope it's less distracting. :)
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora
0

#16 User is offline   Binder of Demons 

  • Lord of Light
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Posts: 1,604
  • Joined: 02-March 07
  • Location:Ireland
  • - Thread Killer -

Posted 25 September 2010 - 01:42 AM

Good stuff, looks much better that way. My ice-style banner idea would likely have been just as distracting in a different way, so i think this is a much better solution.

Now you've only got to worry about the minor problem of consistent updates with interesting content. How hard could that be?? :)

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain

Never argue with an idiot!
They'll drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!
- Anonymous
0

#17 User is offline   QuickTidal 

  • General Kenobi
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Posts: 17,889
  • Joined: 05-November 05
  • Location:Winden
  • Interests:Sith Beatdowns

Posted 25 September 2010 - 02:42 AM

View PostBinder of Demons, on 25 September 2010 - 01:42 AM, said:

Good stuff, looks much better that way. My ice-style banner idea would likely have been just as distracting in a different way, so i think this is a much better solution.

Now you've only got to worry about the minor problem of consistent updates with interesting content. How hard could that be?? :)


HAHA! Indeed.

Updated today with a review of Mike Carey's first Felix Castor book!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora
0

#18 User is offline   polishgenius 

  • Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC
  • Posts: 4,918
  • Joined: 16-June 05

Posted 25 September 2010 - 01:39 PM

Can I suggest, QT, that you link to the blog in your sig? Makes it so much easier to check it.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.
0

#19 User is offline   QuickTidal 

  • General Kenobi
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Posts: 17,889
  • Joined: 05-November 05
  • Location:Winden
  • Interests:Sith Beatdowns

Posted 25 September 2010 - 05:32 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 25 September 2010 - 01:39 PM, said:

Can I suggest, QT, that you link to the blog in your sig? Makes it so much easier to check it.


Yeah, I would if I could but the board won't allow any URLs in my sig. Boo urns!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora
0

#20 User is offline   polishgenius 

  • Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC
  • Posts: 4,918
  • Joined: 16-June 05

Posted 25 September 2010 - 06:01 PM

Huh.

Curious that Pat and Wert can do it. Any reasons for that, any admin-types? Just out of curiosity.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.
0

Share this topic:


  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users