Malazan Empire: Character name change - Malazan Empire

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Character name change Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   ffunky 

• The Great Gazoo
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:reading, technology, filling out forum profile information.

Posted 15 September 2010 - 08:23 PM

Tattersail, on 15 September 2010 - 11:09 AM, said:

maybe Draconus was so clever or saw so far in to the future he named it after Rake? When Kallor cursed him he knew someone would take it from him, maybe he knew Rake was the only one who could so named it Dragnipur after him?

Kruppe - The Eel

I see it more as Dragnipurake = "Wielder of Dragnipur". May be wrong, but sounds logical.

Also:
Heboric Ghost Hands > Heboric Light Touch
Adding to Gothos' entry: Iskar Jarak <-> Whiskeyjack > Bird that Steals :D
All comments and notations by the above contributor are not necessarily endorsed or approved by the above contributor, and should the above contributor wish to argue with himself, the above contributor shall be bludgeoned by the above contributor with.... a herring.

#22 User is offline   Lister of Smeg 

• King of High House Smeg

Posted 15 September 2010 - 08:54 PM

Sechul Lath -> Setch -> Knuckles

I Made a Contribution.
Avoid being seen as racist by saying, "I'm not a racist, but ..." prior to making a racist comment.

#23 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 15 September 2010 - 09:29 PM

ffunky, on 15 September 2010 - 08:23 PM, said:

I see it more as Dragnipurake = "Wielder of Dragnipur". May be wrong, but sounds logical.

I was just looking this up today (Google Books is your friend) and Anomander/Anomandaris goes by at least three surnames: Dragnipurake, Purake, and Rake, all obviously related.

But those words aren't always used as names: when Silanah and the Tiste Andii (without Rake) first face off against Raest in GotM, Crone shouts "Silanah! Dragnipurake t’na Draconiaes! Eleint, eleint!" whatever that means. And "purake" shows up, oddly enough, in MT when Feather Witch speaks in Draconean: "Eleint Tiam purake setoram n'brael buras--"

So the words have to do with Tiam and the Eleint/dragons somehow, which is how I would usually interpret the word "Draconean". But the sword by the same/related name was forged by Draconus. The question that presents itself (and indeed has nagged at me since I started the series) is what is the relationship between Draconus and dragons?
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#24 User is offline   Captain Awesome 

• Corporal
  • I consider myself a unique blend of weekend warrior and dork, a living contradiction

Posted 16 September 2010 - 12:35 AM

bonecrusher/ dying god
itkovian/redeemer
original name/seerdomin/benighted

can you tell I'm rereading tth??

#25 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 16 September 2010 - 05:01 PM

Salt-Man Z, on 15 September 2010 - 09:29 PM, said:

ffunky, on 15 September 2010 - 08:23 PM, said:

I was just looking this up today (Google Books is your friend) and Anomander/Anomandaris goes by at least three surnames: Dragnipurake, Purake, and Rake, all obviously related.

But those words aren't always used as names: when Silanah and the Tiste Andii (without Rake) first face off against Raest in GotM, Crone shouts "Silanah! Dragnipurake t’na Draconiaes! Eleint, eleint!" whatever that means. And "purake" shows up, oddly enough, in MT when Feather Witch speaks in Draconean: "Eleint Tiam purake setoram n'brael buras--"

So the words have to do with Tiam and the Eleint/dragons somehow, which is how I would usually interpret the word "Draconean". But the sword by the same/related name was forged by Draconus. The question that presents itself (and indeed has nagged at me since I started the series) is what is the relationship between Draconus and dragons?

well he is a soletaken eleint, and according to eloth, the pure blooded dragons hate his guts. other than that... i dno
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#26 User is offline   Wampyry 

• High Fist

Posted 16 September 2010 - 11:46 PM

Salt-Man Z, on 15 September 2010 - 09:29 PM, said:

Salt Man, everytime I try to use Google Book search I am shown a book and a page number. After I read the section of the page I keyed on my search is over. I can not go foward with the search using the same key word. Nothing happens. For example key word Rake book GOTM. The search will take me to GOTM and a page with Rake on it. I can't hit 'next' and get to the next time Rake is in the text. In fact 'next' takes me to the next page with or without Rake in it.

Do you encounter similiar restrictions? Hope I am doing something wrong because it would be a great tool for research if I knew how to use it correctly.

#27 User is offline   ffunky 

• The Great Gazoo
  • Interests:reading, technology, filling out forum profile information.

Posted 17 September 2010 - 01:47 PM

Gruntle > Aral Fayle (as named by Tool)
All comments and notations by the above contributor are not necessarily endorsed or approved by the above contributor, and should the above contributor wish to argue with himself, the above contributor shall be bludgeoned by the above contributor with.... a herring.

#28 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 17 September 2010 - 02:03 PM

That'd be Kenny, AKA Toc the Younger
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#29 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 17 September 2010 - 03:27 PM

Wampyry, on 16 September 2010 - 11:46 PM, said:

Salt Man, everytime I try to use Google Book search I am shown a book and a page number. After I read the section of the page I keyed on my search is over. I can not go foward with the search using the same key word. Nothing happens. For example key word Rake book GOTM. The search will take me to GOTM and a page with Rake on it. I can't hit 'next' and get to the next time Rake is in the text. In fact 'next' takes me to the next page with or without Rake in it.

Do you encounter similiar restrictions? Hope I am doing something wrong because it would be a great tool for research if I knew how to use it correctly.

Once "inside" the book, if you look to the left you should see a search box. Put your search term in and it will show a list of all occurences in the book for that word/phrase. I just tried "Rake" inside GotM and got 63 results.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#30 User is offline   Wampyry 

• High Fist

Posted 17 September 2010 - 11:27 PM

Salt-Man Z, on 17 September 2010 - 03:27 PM, said:

Wampyry, on 16 September 2010 - 11:46 PM, said:

Once "inside" the book, if you look to the left you should see a search box. Put your search term in and it will show a list of all occurences in the book for that word/phrase. I just tried "Rake" inside GotM and got 63 results.

Salt-Man. Thank you, it worked exactly as you described. It will be of great help in compensating for my terrible memory. Thanks again

#31 User is offline   foolio 

• Emperor
  • about as popular as a whores dose of the face eater

Posted 01 October 2010 - 02:35 PM

I cant remeber what Setocs name is when redmasks KCCM kills her family but it is not setoc. And Torrent isnt torrent when we first meet him , right?

This post has been edited by foolio: 01 October 2010 - 02:35 PM

I have seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter at the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain...."

#32 User is offline   Findarato 

• Lieutenant
  • Interests:wildlife, nature, reading, hiking, keeping mantids

Posted 01 October 2010 - 03:14 PM

foolio, on 01 October 2010 - 02:35 PM, said:

I cant remeber what Setocs name is when redmasks KCCM kills her family but it is not setoc. And Torrent isnt torrent when we first meet him , right?

Her name was Stayandi.

Torrent was always Torrent to me, but I may have missed something.

This post has been edited by Findarato: 01 October 2010 - 03:16 PM

#33 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 01 October 2010 - 04:42 PM

Torrent is Torrent right back to when we first meet him as part of the first Awl group Redmask takes over in RG. He doesn't have any other title although between being the last of the Awl, involved with the failed Mortal Sword of the K'Chain Che'malle, a Bhargast shaman, the Wolves' Destriant, the Herald of Death, an elder god and twin draconic soletaken ghosts, well, he's ripe for SOMETHING to aspect or invest him. It's not like just anyone gets to backhand Olar Ethil and get away with it... :)
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users