• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Dasseem/Tavore Delusional? Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   foolio 

• Emperor
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • about as popular as a whores dose of the face eater

Posted 17 August 2010 - 01:26 PM

I could be wrong , but I recall that Daseem knew individual hounds, their names and characteristics. Maybe he read about them? But, he became "traveller" after Cot and ST ascended, which really wasnt that long ago. Maybe they were spying on him and he "met" them. It just seems weird to me. Especially since I was under the impression we knew of most of travellers experience after NoK, and it doesnt seem like he would have had a lot of free time for making friends. And I am not trying to be arguemntative, I just thought it was vwery weird when reading it.

worrywort

So in a sense, he's older than ST and Cots. Am I wrong about that?

you very well could be right, but my impression was that ST was older than DU and Cot. And that DU and Cot were reasonably close in age. Especially the way ICE describes ST. He really makes him sound like a frail old man.
And I have always been curious about rather he joined the cause or was a traditional "old guard" as well. And for that matter , was he valuable to hood because of his status in the Malazan military machine, or was he valuable to the malazan military machine because of his affiliation with hood? (and of course he valuable to both becasue he is a killing machine.)
I have seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter at the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain...."

#22 User is offline   foolio 

• Emperor

Posted 17 August 2010 - 01:28 PM

sorry, error on page. Trying to delete extra posts, but cant.
I have seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter at the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain...."

#23 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 17 August 2010 - 03:35 PM

Try changing skins and then deleting the posts.

Anyways, DU is one of the members of Kellanved's "family", a member of the cause during the taking of Malaz Island from Mock, so he would have been an important figure from the start. That does not preclude him from having risen through some sort of organizational structure (ie hesitate to say ranks as it probably wasn't a cohesive army so early on), since we know Dujek was a member of the "family" and did just that.

Admiral Nok's account has DU being one of the last to join the "family". However, Apsalar says after they leave Drift Avalii in HoC that "it was always the three of them, not just Dancer and Kel", referring to Traveller. Take that as you like, and Apsalar isn't necessarily 100%credible, but it opens a possibility of DU already being a potent figure and meeting with Kel and Dancer (also already potent figures) before the whole attempt to seize Malaz Island even began.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#24 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 17 August 2010 - 06:43 PM

foolio, on 17 August 2010 - 01:26 PM, said:

I could be wrong , but I recall that Daseem knew individual hounds, their names and characteristics. Maybe he read about them? But, he became "traveller" after Cot and ST ascended, which really wasnt that long ago. Maybe they were spying on him and he "met" them. It just seems weird to me. Especially since I was under the impression we knew of most of travellers experience after NoK, and it doesnt seem like he would have had a lot of free time for making friends. And I am not trying to be arguemntative, I just thought it was vwery weird when reading it.

worrywort

you very well could be right, but my impression was that ST was older than DU and Cot. And that DU and Cot were reasonably close in age. Especially the way ICE describes ST. He really makes him sound like a frail old man.
And I have always been curious about rather he joined the cause or was a traditional "old guard" as well. And for that matter , was he valuable to hood because of his status in the Malazan military machine, or was he valuable to the malazan military machine because of his affiliation with hood? (and of course he valuable to both becasue he is a killing machine.)

Are you certain he became Traveller after they ascended? I only ask because he disappeared first, during the period covered in Temper's NoK flashbacks, and regardless of whether he chose that name immediately he was still basically cut loose from the empire before the deaths of Kell and Dancer. And by "older" I meant he reached his own godhood before they did...but I meant it in the form of a question, not a statement of fact. He was already a servant of Hood's, and wasn't he ascending AND worshiped while still leading the Malazan army? I guess I just don't remember if it is stated when Dassem Ultor became Dessembrae, so I was curious if he was an actual god before Shadowthrone and Cotillion.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#25 User is offline   foolio 

• Emperor

Posted 17 August 2010 - 07:11 PM

worrywort, on 17 August 2010 - 06:43 PM, said:

foolio, on 17 August 2010 - 01:26 PM, said:

worrywort

Are you certain he became Traveller after they ascended? I only ask because he disappeared first, during the period covered in Temper's NoK flashbacks, and regardless of whether he chose that name immediately he was still basically cut loose from the empire before the deaths of Kell and Dancer. And by "older" I meant he reached his own godhood before they did...but I meant it in the form of a question, not a statement of fact. He was already a servant of Hood's, and wasn't he ascending AND worshiped while still leading the Malazan army? I guess I just don't remember if it is stated when Dassem Ultor became Dessembrae, so I was curious if he was an actual god before Shadowthrone and Cotillion.

you are right. I was thinking it was same time, but man, I forgot that it was Tempers flashbacks that we saw Daseems divorce from the empire. So he became Traveller, roughly a couple of years before they ascended. You got me.
I am real fuzzy on when he became Dessembrae as well. It almost seems like, becasue of how well known the cult of Dessembrae is in far off lands, that Dessembrae is an entity that chooses a person to merge with for a while. Kind of like a dark rain cloud of sadness following someone. I know that sounds silly, and I certainly have no proof. I think it was the fact that he was Dessmbrae that led me to believe he had been alive forever and thus possibly Dessembilakis early in the series. I was quickly corrected on the forum, but I do remember thinking it was a possibility.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users