• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

If a movie was made

#21 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 06 October 2010 - 11:46 PM

I don't know what I'd cut, the smaller parts of the book aren't fresh in my mind right now. However, I would definitely want the Paran and Tattersail romance to be expanded upon - Erikson isn't the greatest when it comes to relationships.

On the other hand, things that would be incredibly awesome (if done right):

Apsalar and Crokus on top of K'rul's Belfry, looking up at the moon. The story Apsalar tells is beautiful and has always gotten to me.

Rake and K'rul on top of the belfry, when K'rul asks Rake why he fights. One of the most cinematic moments in the series.
uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#22 User is offline   highfist Void 

• Recruit

Posted 25 October 2010 - 12:59 AM

I strongly feel as impressive and and inspiring gotm is, to make it truely work on film which i also think would be the wrong medium, as a dedicated production team doing a series would be far more benificial for telling such a long and envolved storey. A well done series for each book in the series. a huge undertaking but done correctly like how deadwood, rome, sparticus blood on the sands, breaking bad, with a talent and dedicated focus to telling the complex well woven story of the malazan book of the fallan, would be truely amazing. in the right hands.

If they had to be done as 4 hour movies, i really dont know what would need to be cut, as some of the infomation seems like just details untill three books later and that kinda odsd scene from books ago finally clicks and you get your ahhh ha moment. I think Malazan has the potential to bea genre spanning fantasy classic if done in the right hands it could be the new high water maRK FOR FANTASY PUT TO FILM, FOR ADULTS., the malazan books of the fallen if giving voice and video would appeal to a more mature and adult set, with a story that even non fantasy buffs could grasp ahold of. In the right hands with feedback and hands on help from the die hard community of fans and the ALTHGORS THEMSELVES. IT COULD TRUELY CHANGE THE WAY FANTASY IS REGARDED IN THE FILM INDUSTY. No matter how poorly dont it would still be better than that candy flop of the show legend of the seeker. first rule of making a well liked fantasy series in to a multimedia experience you have to have good if not great source material to begin wqith, and not butcher it.

#23 User is offline   highfist Void 

• Recruit

Posted 25 October 2010 - 05:30 PM

that said i feel other portions of the later books would work much better as stand alone "movies" such as the chain of dogs, end portion of memories of ice, karsas origin story from house of chaines etc. That said taking these seperate scenes from the books i still feel much would be lost as the the books that lead up to said scenes are ripe with valuable information needed to make standalone scenes as powerful as they were in context of the series.

#24 User is offline   WhiskeyJackDaniels 

• Emperor

Posted 25 October 2010 - 05:55 PM

I think they should screw doing a feature film or HBO style tv series and instead make an "Exploring the Empire" series on the history channel. Get 'expert historians' to describe battles like the Enfilade at Pale, conquering of the Untan mainland and Seven Cities and once and for all definitive episode on what really happened at Aren. Also biographical episodes on the reign of Laseen and perhaps an in-depth exploration of the epic poem Anomandaris by Fisher. Time could also be devoted to how the introduction of Moranth munitions and Otataral into the Empire and how they used these tactical advantages over other contemporary nations and peoples.
So, you're the historian who survived the Chain of Dogs.
Actually, I didn't.

It seems you stand alone.
It was ever thus.

#25 User is offline   The Azath Made Flesh 

• Who will love him?
  • Interests:The Salvation of Mankind

Posted 17 January 2011 - 02:13 AM

I think this whole series would kick ass as a 100-part anime opus!!

#26 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 17 January 2011 - 03:54 AM

Great, now I'm imagining an animu Toc the Younger, just casually walking around with one huge animu eye and an empty socket he could put his fist in. THE HORROR

Also Laseen would become Lareen the Emperor because Japan can barely handle strong female characters, let alone strong characters who are female.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#27 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 17 January 2011 - 04:22 AM

View PostThe Azath Made Flesh, on 17 January 2011 - 02:13 AM, said:

No, just...no.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#28 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 17 January 2011 - 04:22 AM

View PostIlluyankas, on 17 January 2011 - 03:54 AM, said:

Also Laseen would become Lareen the Emperor because Japan can barely handle strong female characters, let alone strong characters who are female.

What are you talking about? They gave us Chun Li and the Sailor Moon girls.

The Japanese can handle strong female characters - they just need to be in spandex and have their families killed by the bad guy first.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#29 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 17 January 2011 - 05:26 AM

You missed the Major and pre-Eclipse Casca (I don't care what you say, Berserk is the best mango and an excellent comic full stop), but these examples are a quark balanced against Roseanne on the scales of female character representation.

This post has been edited by Illuyankas: 17 January 2011 - 05:26 AM

Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#30 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 18 January 2011 - 07:16 AM

View PostIlluyankas, on 17 January 2011 - 05:26 AM, said:

You missed the Major and pre-Eclipse Casca (I don't care what you say, Berserk is the best mango and an excellent comic full stop), but these examples are a quark balanced against Roseanne on the scales of female character representation.

The Major - spandex/nothing and family dead.

No idea who Casca is.

Ok, I actually agree with your point. It is somehow near impossible for the Japanese to have strong female characters in their stories (Hayao Miyazaki, aside). Ripley from the Alien movies probably freaked them the hell out.

This post has been edited by amphibian: 18 January 2011 - 07:17 AM

I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#31 User is offline   bloodynibbler 

• Recruit

Posted 21 January 2011 - 10:29 PM

View Postamphibian, on 18 January 2011 - 07:16 AM, said:

The Major - spandex/nothing and family dead.

No idea who Casca is.

Ok, I actually agree with your point. It is somehow near impossible for the Japanese to have strong female characters in their stories (Hayao Miyazaki, aside). Ripley from the Alien movies probably freaked them the hell out.

There's nothing wrong with spandex. And Major Kusanagi really does kick ass.

I forget most things Berserk, so no comment there.

How about Sir Integra Hellsing, from Hellsing? No spandex, absolutely fully clothed most of the time, and she's an iron-cold bitch of the first order. Seras Victoria, despite looking like a bimbo, is more great characterization from that series.

Any female in Bleach.

Devilman Lady!

Okay, okay, it's hard to find awesome female anime characters that don't depend on oversized...assets. But I'd still love to see an animated Malazan series! It would be easier to do the special effects, setting, and non-human characters.

#32 User is offline   Marcule 

• Corporal

Posted 01 February 2011 - 12:40 PM

I was thinking the same thing myself, only it would probably more than 100 episodes. A few reasons:
1 Its cheaper to make anime than a live action movie. As much as I like to see some kinda movie made of this world, cash would be the final 'No we aren't doing that' reason.
2 multi-episode anime would be the best chance of having the least cut out, butchered final version. Made for TV versions with places for commercials just wouldn't cut it either, as it would obviously have to be rated for mature audiences and 30 min meals just wouldn't cut it.
3 It would be confusing as hell, and need a lot of narration to make any sense of the underlying philosophy of the characters. Anyone that is a fan of anime know this is just how anime is. If it doesn't make your mind bleed, drooling wondering wtf just happened and how you came to be in this state, its disappointing as anime.
4 If it was Live action it would have to be filmed in green screens with everything CGI ala Star Wars. I dont believe anyone would ever be able to get the big budget OK'd to have both decent actors and decent CGI. It would either look good, act horrible (star wars), or just be all around bad and butchered (Eragon). I'm curious to see what happens with Game of Thrones on HBO as I was told GRRM has already wrote many screen play adaptations and already had a foot in the door of the industry, which is more than likely the only reason the upcoming series came to be.

No, just...no.
This made me LoL, seriously, as this is how I imagine the majority of fans would feel about an anime on these books. Even as a fan of anime, I can and do admit that 98% of the anime out there is just pure and total crap, but there are some gems to be had.
...I'm not the best with heights, Sergent.
You live in a damned tower!
It's... expected of me. Isn't it?...

#33 User is offline   opiate taylor 

• Sergeant

Posted 17 February 2011 - 02:30 PM

I think if someone was trying to adapt GotM into a script, many elements could be shortened, such as the assassin war, the scenes with Baruk and his little cabal, Anomander Rake, Kruppe's dreams etc. But I would much rather see each novel of the series as a mini-series, like what HBO is doing for the Ice and Fire books. But damn, the Malaz books would require a lot of digital effects shots-- and I am with you Marcule, Eragon looked totally ass--many of the series I have seen have shitty CG, i.e. LOST, Merlin, and V, even though it is a little better. It's just tough to overlook shoddy digital work... I mean imagine the dragons, especially if the budget is tight. Not to mention the Hounds, Moon's Spawn, the demons, and on and on.

Do any of you guys think we'll ever see any of the books as Movies/Cable series? I guess if Ice and Fire does really well, the other pay channels will be looking for their big fantasy series. But I think the chances are slim. We'll see WoT before anything else, and I'm surprised we haven't heard anything yet. My guess is we will, and soon.

This post has been edited by opiate taylor: 17 February 2011 - 02:32 PM

"The commodore says you're a fucking asshole."

#34 User is offline   Dmyster 

• Recruit

Posted 18 August 2011 - 09:08 PM

View PostRooster, on 09 August 2010 - 05:18 PM, said:

If a movie was made you'd have to cut a hell of a lot more than that.

True. For the sake of the book and series, I hope it never happens.

#35 User is offline   Whiskey Bass 

• Grand High Cook of High House Bass(e)
  • "Dont gain the world and lose your sole, wisdom is better than silver and gold"

Posted 18 August 2011 - 11:45 PM

would be better to leave this series of books to the imagination

imo :)

#36 User is offline   jasec 

• Corporal

Posted 24 August 2011 - 06:14 PM

I can't even imagine this series done in a movie. It wouldn't work.

First the budget would have to be insane, with all the amount of battles and non human characters. Secondly, there is just too much detail going on, that can not be conveyed in a movie.

It would just not do this series justice to try to make a movie of it.

#37 User is offline   Drae 

• Recruit

Posted 24 August 2011 - 06:32 PM

A movie wouldn't do the books justice. The only way to visualize this story is through a mini series with a suitable budget; which will never happen. Posted Image

#38 User is offline   Seatiger 

• Soletaken

Posted 30 August 2011 - 10:12 PM

Wouldnt cut anything would make 2-3 movies and follow suit to Harry potter last book and Breaking dawn last book they both get more then 1 movie for 1 book heck yeah!!
Take me as a knife and I will turn in your hand. I swear it.

#39 User is offline   ShantyKing 

• Recruit

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:53 AM

It'd have to be a series, like Game of Thrones. 10 1-hour episodes, at least

#40 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 21 December 2012 - 07:51 PM

Erikson actually revealed, on Tor.com I think, his plan for how he'd do it--but of course he revealed it because he knows it will never happen: Release a trilogy each year for ten years. 30 films. Yeah, that could work, and yeah, that'll never happen.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users