Malazan Empire: Help with decision RotCG or TCG? - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Help with decision RotCG or TCG?

#1 User is offline   Toc's Wolf Eye 

• Scout
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:A father of two who enjoys epic books, and loves his kids.

Posted 05 August 2010 - 12:05 AM

Can someone who has already read Return of the Crimson Guard tell me if they wished they would have waited for The Crippled God. I looked at the Dramatis Personae, and I pretty much only saw Traveller. But still, the year is 1165, right?

#2 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 05 August 2010 - 12:15 AM

Read it. TtH and DoD give away things that are big "wtfs" or "omgs!" in RotCG. TCG will probably do so as well. So if you want to make the most of the RotCG experience, read it before any of those 3 if possible.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#3 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 05 August 2010 - 12:16 AM

Read the books in the order of the book forums.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#4 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 05 August 2010 - 12:18 AM

View Postworrywort, on 05 August 2010 - 12:16 AM, said:

except for NoK should be before tBH (or else you get no appreciation for the cameos in tBH)

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#5 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 05 August 2010 - 12:39 AM

On the other hand, I enjoyed the mysterious characters in tBH and the revelations in NoK, but I do agree they should be read one after the other, either way you choose. In other words, the "you can read NoK any time after GotM" perspective is true, but it's most effective coupled with tBH, either right before or right after.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#6 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 05 August 2010 - 02:05 AM

View PostD, on 05 August 2010 - 12:18 AM, said:

except for NoK should be before tBH (or else you get no appreciation for the cameos in tBH)

Why in the world do the forums have NoK after BH, anyway?
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#7 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 05 August 2010 - 06:07 PM

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 05 August 2010 - 02:05 AM, said:

View PostD, on 05 August 2010 - 12:18 AM, said:

Why in the world do the forums have NoK after BH, anyway?

Good question, I've always wondered the same.

#8 User is offline   haroos 

• High Fist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 05 August 2010 - 06:21 PM

View PostToc, on 05 August 2010 - 12:05 AM, said:

Can someone who has already read Return of the Crimson Guard tell me if they wished they would have waited for The Crippled God. I looked at the Dramatis Personae, and I pretty much only saw Traveller. But still, the year is 1165, right?

as far as the main series go, you don't realy have to read them at all, they won't add anything crucial.
but if you already read all the published books (or all of them to you put your hands on) , then reading it can't be bad.

#9 User is offline   Captain Awesome 

• Corporal
  • I consider myself a unique blend of weekend warrior and dork, a living contradiction

Posted 06 August 2010 - 12:09 AM

View Postharoos, on 05 August 2010 - 06:21 PM, said:

View PostToc, on 05 August 2010 - 12:05 AM, said:

as far as the main series go, you don't realy have to read them at all, they won't add anything crucial.
but if you already read all the published books (or all of them to you put your hands on) , then reading it can't be bad.

umm...there's the last couple of scenes at the end of RotCG that will probably have people saying WTF or When/How the F did that happen. I would say the last 20pgs would be crucial to understanding tCG depending on the lens/frame that SE writes it in especially in regards to shotcallers on both sides.

#10 User is offline   TheSurvivor 

• Captain
  • Interests:Reading and Writing pretty much dominate this section.

Posted 06 August 2010 - 12:43 AM

Captain Awesome gives a valid point. Also, I say read the book while waiting on The Crippled God. It really is a great read and that surprised me as I was kind of "meh" on NoK.
The world needs hypocrites...unfortunate but true.

#11 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• View gallery

Posted 06 August 2010 - 03:19 PM

Besides which, you'll need to read it before Stonewielder comes out in 4 months.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"

#12 User is offline   Toc's Wolf Eye 

• Scout
  • Interests:A father of two who enjoys epic books, and loves his kids.

Posted 07 August 2010 - 03:03 PM

View PostD, on 05 August 2010 - 12:15 AM, said:

Read it. TtH and DoD give away things that are big "wtfs" or "omgs!" in RotCG. TCG will probably do so as well. So if you want to make the most of the RotCG experience, read it before any of those 3 if possible.

thanks for advice. My main concern was spoilers for TCG, but if RotCG helps with the story of characters like Iron Bars, Greymane, and Ruthan Gudd I'm definitely in.

#13 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• View gallery

Posted 09 August 2010 - 03:53 PM

View PostToc, on 07 August 2010 - 03:03 PM, said:

My main concern was spoilers for TCG

Yeah, if anything it'll be the other way around; as someone said above, DoD has big spoilers for RotCG. SE and ICE are working in concert on this things, so you can trust them not to spoil each others' books befor they're published. In other words, as long as you read them all in publication order, you'll be fine.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users