Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Caladan Brood Description having a somewhat hard time visualizing him

#1 User is offline   nitroholic 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 31 July 2010 - 06:01 AM

Does anyone have a page number from any of the first 3 books where there is a description of caladan brood given?

Sometimes i read things a bit quickly so i forget what characters are desribed as, plus Erikson isn't always the most descriptive author when it comes to his characters.

I have a vague image of him in my head as being barbarian-looking, but im not sure if this correct at all

#2 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 31 July 2010 - 06:27 AM

Here's the relevant quotes I could find describing Brood. The last one is from Toll The Hounds, but it's just character description with nothing spoilerific, but I spoilered it anyway. Hope it helps.

One man stood alone, leaning over it [the table], his back to the doorway. An enormous iron hammer was slung across his broad back; despite its size and evident weight, it looked almost toy-like against that span of muscle and bone. Power rolled from him in musky waves.

There was Barghast blood in Caladan Brood, reflected in his tall, hulking form and his wide, flat face; and something else besides, something not quite human. The man was huge, well matched to the iron
hammer strapped to his back.

Brood's smile revealed filed teeth.

Spoiler

Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#3 User is offline   Siergiej 

• High Fist

Posted 31 July 2010 - 08:57 AM

Incredible Hulk with a hammer on his back :)

#4 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 31 July 2010 - 09:11 AM

That would be Icarium.

Brood is probably more like Sasquatch with out all the hair.

#5 User is offline   nitroholic 

• Recruit

Posted 31 July 2010 - 03:47 PM

thanks, those quotes helps alot.

This post has been edited by nitroholic: 01 August 2010 - 01:37 AM

#6 User is offline   Eispeis 

• Trygalle Trade Guild Route Planner

Posted 02 August 2010 - 07:48 AM

I've always imagined him like a huge man with somewhat feline features. May be the "filed teeth" and "oddly beastial face" mentioned above. Almost like a were-tiger. Probalby nowhere close to "the truth," but it's how I see him.

#7 User is offline   Braden 

• Creature of Shadow and Ice
  • Interests:Airsoft, Live Role Play, reading, music, family...not actually really in that order.

Posted 02 August 2010 - 05:28 PM

View PostAptorian, on 31 July 2010 - 09:11 AM, said:

That would be Icarium.

Brood is probably more like Sasquatch with out all the hair.

Odd that, I always visualise Icarium "Elven-like"...I guess it's so I visualise his more aggressive actions with even more surprise!

#8 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 05 August 2010 - 06:34 AM

He's like a giant baby.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#9 User is offline   Siergiej 

• High Fist

Posted 05 August 2010 - 01:56 PM

It's a bit off-topic, because it doesn't refer to the looks of Caladan, but it just came to my mind, and it seems to be the best thread to ask this question. Does Brood have any official religion-linked title? He is deeply involed in Burn's case, but as for Memories of Ice (I am currently at Reaper's Gale and still didn't find out) no one calls him mortal sword or destraint. Yet, it bugs me a lot, because he is really important for the cult of Burn (she gave him the hammer). It's rather safe to assume, that he definetly is not shield anvil, but destraint would suit him pretty well. It is a small, not really meaningful hint, but Fener's destraint - Karnadas, is pretty skilled with using Denul. Caladan Brood can use this warren too. However, the glossary says destraints are mortal - Brood is an ascendant, isn't he?

So, he plays some major role in Burn's cult, or he is just hanging out with the most deadly weapon in the universe signed by the Earth goddes, because he is a big fan of hers?

#10 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 05 August 2010 - 05:45 PM

i think its more of a case of him being the only man capable of wielding the weapon, much like anomander with dragnipur and this is probably why they got along so well (relatively). i don't think he is connected to the priesthood and i don't think he wants to be - i cite as evidence his reaction to rath'burn in MoI. he is almost above them. he's an ascendant, and he had a heart to heart with burn, probably on very equal terms, and they struck a deal.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#11 User is offline   BlackMoranthofDoom 

• Fist
  • Interests:gaming, watching movies, listening to metal

Posted 29 August 2010 - 06:44 AM

for some reason I keep picturing Brood as looking something like Ganondorf, and Rake as something like Sephiroth (even though Rake is dark)

#12 User is offline   Weave 

• I'm HAPPY CLAPPY!

Posted 05 September 2010 - 05:10 PM

Yeah I get the sephy thing, cold, merciless and silver mained.
And Brood to me, I picture the wrestler/actor The Rock. Dwayne Johnson is it?
All that is needed for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. ~ Edmond Burke.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users