Malazan Empire: Rhulad Sengar - Malazan Empire

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Rhulad Sengar A portrait (the image is a spoiler from Midnight Tides)

#1 User is offline   Coalhands 

• Sergeant
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:Photoshopping, gaming, reading - general nerdiness.

Posted 30 July 2010 - 12:38 PM

Posted Image

A portrait of the Emperor of a Thousand Deaths. I've tried to capture the sorrow surrounding Rhulad, giving a glimpse of the boy he used to be before the events of Midnight Tides.

Commence the nitpicking of the size of the coins, how many there are, the length of his eyelashes and how many nosehairs he should have :)

EDIT: Cropped off the top of his head (didn't really add anything imo)

This post has been edited by max7773: 30 July 2010 - 08:41 PM

" ...neither mortal nor immortal can fathom the mind of an artist. But as a general rule, between two possible answers, choose the more sordid one." - Bugg, Dust Of Dreams

#2 User is offline   Hocknose 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 30 July 2010 - 01:08 PM

Wow...you keep impressing me Max.

I think you've definitely caught the sorrow in his eyes.
He looks a lot younger than I would have imagined but I cannot remember how old he's supposed to be in the books.

The coins look great to me...awesome work!!!

#3 User is offline   Lisheo 

• Difference Engineer
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:All of the things.

Posted 30 July 2010 - 01:13 PM

That's... Wow, that is amazing.
“People have wanted to narrate since first we banged rocks together & wondered about fire. There’ll be tellings as long as there are any of us here, until the stars disappear one by one like turned-out lights.”
- China Mieville

#4 User is offline   HiddenOne 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 30 July 2010 - 01:22 PM

You've done a great job. You're right about the nosehair, though.
HiddenOne. You son of a bitch. You slimy, skulking, low-posting scumbag. You knew it would come to this. Roundabout, maybe. Tortuous, certainly. But here we are, you and me again. I started the train on you so many many hours ago, and now I'm going to finish it. Die HO. Die. This is for last time, and this is for this game too. This is for all the people who died to your backstabbing, treacherous, "I sure don't know what's going on around here" filthy lying, deceitful ways. You son of a bitch. Whatever happens, this is justice. For me, this is justice. Vote HiddenOne Finally, I am at peace.

#5 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 30 July 2010 - 01:38 PM

Well, I personally don't care about the size of the coins and other stuff in this case, because I think you've captured the sadness really well; I love it - really, really great! :)
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#6 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 30 July 2010 - 02:54 PM

quality picture, very good! not going to mention your nitpicks :)
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#7 User is offline   Braden 

• Creature of Shadow and Ice
  • Interests:Airsoft, Live Role Play, reading, music, family...not actually really in that order.

Posted 30 July 2010 - 03:21 PM

I like, I was just thinking "when will someone do a study of Rhula. Perhaps the next one (the one I'd like to see) would be a study from further way (full body) showing the coins, fur cloak and sword with his slave beside/behind (can't remember his name...no book to hand...DARN!).

Only "pick of nits" I have is that I imagined more coins...not perhaps so much on the face though so this doesn't detract from the study done here...but certainly on the body. For some reason, can't think why, I see the coins overlapping like scale armour...not sure where that's come from (perhaps its constant references in the books to it being "armour"??).

Anyway...excellent drawing.

#8 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 30 July 2010 - 03:50 PM

View PostBraden, on 30 July 2010 - 03:21 PM, said:

I like, I was just thinking "when will someone do a study of Rhula. Perhaps the next one (the one I'd like to see) would be a study from further way (full body) showing the coins, fur cloak and sword with his slave beside/behind (can't remember his name...no book to hand...DARN!).

There are several of these drifting around the Malazan Art subforum [without Udinaas, though, but with cloak and sword and stuff], just look for them :)
This one, though, is special because it's a close-up, and my favourite so far :D
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#9 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 30 July 2010 - 04:20 PM

Tiste Edur don't have nosehair.

:) great pic!

ETA i particularly like how you included the scars around the eyes but kept them subtle.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#10 User is offline   Coalhands 

• Sergeant

Posted 30 July 2010 - 06:00 PM

Thanks for the comments everyone! Without them it would be hard finding the motivation to do fan-art :)
" ...neither mortal nor immortal can fathom the mind of an artist. But as a general rule, between two possible answers, choose the more sordid one." - Bugg, Dust Of Dreams

#11 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 30 July 2010 - 09:50 PM

I like this very much. I think Rhulad's age sometimes gets forgotten in the midst of his carnage, but he was basically the pipsqueak youngest brother trying to impress everybody as insecure young men are wont to do.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#12 User is offline   Grimjust Bearegular 

• Irregular Bacon Berserker Medic of the Abyssmal Army
  • View gallery
  • Interests:MAFIA, drawing and writing.
  • Godless killing machine - and proud of it!

Also, braaaaiiiinnnnzzzzzzzz!

Posted 31 July 2010 - 01:26 PM

I think this is a really, really good portrait, and you've managed to pull off that expression of sadness quite well:)

My only problem is that he looks "too human". There's not enough alien race in him. I'm not saying you should go crazy and add all sorts of features to his face, just play around with the ones who are already there.

Here's an example of what I mean:

http://navate.devian...llery/#/d2o7es0
Things and stuffs...and other important objects.

#13 User is offline   Coalhands 

• Sergeant

Posted 31 July 2010 - 01:47 PM

View PostGrimhilde, on 31 July 2010 - 01:26 PM, said:

I think this is a really, really good portrait, and you've managed to pull off that expression of sadness quite well:)

My only problem is that he looks "too human". There's not enough alien race in him. I'm not saying you should go crazy and add all sorts of features to his face, just play around with the ones who are already there.

Aye, I've been expecting people to say that. However, I can guarantee that if I had done so, I'd get people complaining that he isn't as they imagined, thus may God smite me down. Now I just draw the characters as I have always thought of them; trying to adhere to the general consensus is always a ball-ache, so I've given up trying :) Oh, and that picture sort of reminds me of a Forkrul Assail, but I am no longer convinced that they look so inhuman -DoD spoiler-
Spoiler
Hell, maybe SE will just add that Tiste have trunks like elephants and Toblakai have fairy wings, just to throw people off :D

#14 User is offline   T'renn 

• First Sword
  • Cussing Forevah

Posted 31 July 2010 - 03:23 PM

This is really good

Maybe whe (the forum) should finance a full sized one to send to Steven as commemoration of finishing the series.
...Every tale is a gift,
And the scars bourne by us both,
are easily missed,
In the distance between us.

-Fisher-

Don't be blind,
Mind,
To be kind,
For you will find,

Kindness has its own rewards,
and each must find his way to heaven

-T.D. Mengerink-

#15 User is offline   Grimjust Bearegular 

• View gallery

Posted 31 July 2010 - 05:45 PM

View Postmax7773, on 31 July 2010 - 01:47 PM, said:

View PostGrimhilde, on 31 July 2010 - 01:26 PM, said:

Aye, I've been expecting people to say that. However, I can guarantee that if I had done so, I'd get people complaining that he isn't as they imagined, thus may God smite me down. Now I just draw the characters as I have always thought of them; trying to adhere to the general consensus is always a ball-ache, so I've given up trying :) Oh, and that picture sort of reminds me of a Forkrul Assail, but I am no longer convinced that they look so inhuman -DoD spoiler-
Spoiler
Hell, maybe SE will just add that Tiste have trunks like elephants and Toblakai have fairy wings, just to throw people off :D

Aye, it's damn bloody difficult to make everyone happy! I've been hanging around the forum for the past four years (Gods, I feel old and lame:P ), and I don't think that I've made a painting that everyone agrees on to this date...which can be really frustrating some times :p

I'm working on a piece with Karsa as we speak. I shall give him fairy wings!

As to the spoiler...I think most of the kids were a little off their rockers, so with the right type of clothing it wouldn't be too hard :p :p

#16 User is offline   Coalhands 

• Sergeant

Posted 31 July 2010 - 05:59 PM

View PostGrimhilde, on 31 July 2010 - 05:45 PM, said:

Aye, it's damn bloody difficult to make everyone happy! I've been hanging around the forum for the past four years (Gods, I feel old and lame:P ), and I don't think that I've made a painting that everyone agrees on to this date...which can be really frustrating some times :p

As to the spoiler...I think most of the kids were a little off their rockers, so with the right type of clothing it wouldn't be too hard :) :D

Karsa with fairy wings.... it simply must be done.

And a good point about the kids :p

Edit - Tayschrenn: How do you mean, finance? I think a massive collaboration would be neat. A comical one maybe, with lady envy and spite making out, the crippled god smoking a spliff, karsa trying on womens underwear..... okay, I really need to go to bed now.

This post has been edited by max7773: 31 July 2010 - 11:11 PM

#17 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 31 July 2010 - 11:15 PM

wow, the weariness that emanates from that portrait is amazing! great job
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#18 User is offline   T'renn 

• First Sword
  • Cussing Forevah

Posted 01 August 2010 - 04:58 PM

Max7773: Edit - Tayschrenn: How do you mean, finance? I think a massive collaboration would be neat. A comical one maybe, with lady envy and spite making out, the crippled god smoking a spliff, karsa trying on womens underwear..... okay, I really need to go to bed now.

That sounds really good actually
...Every tale is a gift,
And the scars bourne by us both,
are easily missed,
In the distance between us.

-Fisher-

Don't be blind,
Mind,
To be kind,
For you will find,

Kindness has its own rewards,
and each must find his way to heaven

-T.D. Mengerink-

#19 User is offline   Ember 

• Corporal
  • Interests:Reading, writing, drawing, playing piano, singing, metal, traveling.

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:45 AM

This is gorgeous. Nice work. He looks a little younger than I'd pictured and, as Grimhilde said, maybe not quite as 'alien' but this is still just lovely. Thank you for sharing with us!
darkness & silence
the light shall flicker out

#20 User is offline   Grimjust Bearegular 

• View gallery

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:58 AM

View Postmax7773, on 31 July 2010 - 05:59 PM, said:

View PostGrimhilde, on 31 July 2010 - 05:45 PM, said:

As to the spoiler...I think most of the kids were a little off their rockers, so with the right type of clothing it wouldn't be too hard :p :p

Karsa with fairy wings.... it simply must be done.

And a good point about the kids :p

Edit - Tayschrenn: How do you mean, finance? I think a massive collaboration would be neat. A comical one maybe, with lady envy and spite making out, the crippled god smoking a spliff, karsa trying on womens underwear..... okay, I really need to go to bed now.

Karsa with fairy wings and women's underwear? Oh la la!

- Grimhilde, always makes good points:P

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users