• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Dev'ad Anan Tol

#1 User is offline   Dev'ad Anan Tol 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 29 July 2010 - 11:51 PM

In TTH when Harllo goes down into the mines he finds a T'lan Imass named Dev'ad Anan Tol (pg. 470 -471). Turns out Raest put him down in the mines for eternity blah blah. So two questions:
1. He gives Harllo some ancient mining tools he created himself which Harllo hides under his bed. When Harllo escapes does he have these tools? Are they important at all?
2. During the convergence in Daru Antsy and Barathol bring Chaur to the Azath and Raest points out Dev'ad Anan Tol being consumed by the Azath. Is this the end of the T'lan Imass? What is the point to this character and will he ever get to use that awesome sword and sit on "the empty throne"?

It just seems like these parts are unnecessary..... I'm trying to make sense of them.

I haven't read DoD yet so if this is answered there let me know and don't spoil it for me! ThanksPosted Image

#2 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 30 July 2010 - 12:33 AM

I don't think that parts like this one are unnecessary. After all, what we're reading there are historical accounts and parts like the one mentioned remind us of how vast the world shown us is and how deep it's history. They're little info tid-bits on the side. After all, didn't Dev'ad Anan Tol add to Harllo's story AND give us more background information on Raest? It also has the re-occuring theme of old vs. new; after all, the Azath wasn't there back in Raest's days and the T'lan Imass didn't know it and thought he could just walk in and whoop Raest's ass or something - sadly, he didn't stay on the path.
Personally, I love the irony and don't need any deeper meaning to this. But that's just me, mind you :)

Edit: I should go to bed, I can't type anymore O_o

This post has been edited by Puck: 30 July 2010 - 12:35 AM

Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#3 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 30 July 2010 - 12:39 AM

2. A lesson in futility. If there's a point, it's that sometimes immortal creatures wait millennia to accomplish their goals and fail in the end anyway.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#4 User is offline   WhiskeyJackDaniels 

• Emperor

Posted 30 July 2010 - 01:17 AM

3. I suspect that this could have just been a setup for something important that will happen in ICE's Darujhistan novel. a la Humble Measure...
So, you're the historian who survived the Chain of Dogs.
Actually, I didn't.

It seems you stand alone.
It was ever thus.

#5 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 30 July 2010 - 01:20 AM

4. The Ritual of Tellann prevented the Imass from evolving as a species and perhaps creating great technological advances.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#6 User is offline   Dev'ad Anan Tol 

• Recruit

Posted 30 July 2010 - 01:40 AM

Whiskey: I hope you're right - I could see it being a good offshoot... plus I just made this account naming it after this guy and if the character never shows up again that would suck lol.

Puck: good point - it definitely does play on that theme and does add to Harllo's story. Still when he does get his new legs he grabs the amazing sword and thinks to himself that there is an empty throne lying around somewhere. Any idea what this empty throne is? I assume that Raest was in control of the throne when Dev'ad unsuccessfully challenged him?

#7 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 30 July 2010 - 01:46 AM

I assume he is talking about the same Throne that Kallor was going for in Toll, the one inside the Crippled God's temple.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#8 User is offline   Dev'ad Anan Tol 

• Recruit

Posted 30 July 2010 - 01:54 AM

H.D., on 30 July 2010 - 01:46 AM, said:

I assume he is talking about the same Throne that Kallor was going for in Toll, the one inside the Crippled God's temple.

I don't think this is the case. Ganoes allowed the Crippled God to "enter the game" - wouldn't that be the creation of the throne & hold or house (at least legitimately)? Before Ganoes' blessing, so to speak, I don't think the throne was in existence (or else Kallor would have been seeking it out much earlier).

#9 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 30 July 2010 - 02:01 AM

It had been filled until TtH.

#10 User is offline   Dev'ad Anan Tol 

• Recruit

Posted 30 July 2010 - 02:10 AM

H.D., on 30 July 2010 - 02:01 AM, said:

By who? And how would Dev'ad have known it was recently vacant if he was trapped in a mine for so long?

#11 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 30 July 2010 - 02:10 AM

As an alternative (because I know someone will state that it hadn't been filled yet, and can already predict the arguments against who I would put up as candidate), TCG had told Kallor that he would allow for competition of King in Chains. It would be a heady little play to put a throne in place in Darujhistan while Dragnipur is about to be fought over in a massive convergence, just in case one of his blokes got a hold of it.

#12 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 30 July 2010 - 02:12 AM

Dev, on 30 July 2010 - 02:10 AM, said:

H.D., on 30 July 2010 - 02:01 AM, said:

By who? And how would Dev'ad have known it was recently vacant if he was trapped in a mine for so long?

I'd have said Rhulad (while others will claim he is merely Mortal Sword, however, that was, in my opinion, prior to the House being granted a position within the Deck and pantheon, and his role switched when this occurred).

Good question. Could be being used by the Crippled God. The guy is in TCG's wheelhouse for influence.

This post has been edited by H.D.: 30 July 2010 - 02:15 AM

#13 User is offline   The Seguleh 46th 

• High Fist

Posted 30 July 2010 - 02:18 AM

worrywort, on 30 July 2010 - 12:39 AM, said:

2. A lesson in futility. If there's a point, it's that sometimes immortal creatures wait millennia to accomplish their goals and fail in the end anyway.

Ditto.

As an aside, i loved the buildup and the assumption of a showdown of sorts, then...... Azath-gobble time! And what Puck said about the extra bit it added to Harllo's story and some history on Raest making Dev'ad Anan Tol an invaluable character i completely agree with. I like it that not every character has to be something really. Definitely adds to the richness of the world though!

#14 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 30 July 2010 - 02:19 AM

That it takes place off-screen, and is only talked about in passing is the best part of it.

#15 User is offline   Dev'ad Anan Tol 

• Recruit

Posted 30 July 2010 - 02:36 AM

The Seguleh 46th, on 30 July 2010 - 02:18 AM, said:

worrywort, on 30 July 2010 - 12:39 AM, said:

Ditto.

As an aside, i loved the buildup and the assumption of a showdown of sorts, then...... Azath-gobble time!

lol

#16 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 30 July 2010 - 05:12 AM

I don't even care if it had a point, it contained one of the funniest jokes in the whole book.

TTH pg. 306 said:

The gods are fools, alas, in believing every piece in the game is known. That the rules are fixed and
accepted by all; that every wager is counted and marked, exposed and glittering on the table. The gods
lay out their perfect paths to the perfect thrones, each one representing perfect power.
The gods are fools because it never occurs to them that not everyone uses paths.

‘A T’lan Imass with odd legs,’ said Raest. ‘It seemed to harbour some dislike towards me.’ The
Jaghut paused. ‘I can’t imagine why.’
Antsy grunted. ‘It should’ve stayed on the path.’

This post has been edited by MTS: 30 July 2010 - 05:12 AM

Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#17 User is offline   Ulrik 

• Highest Marshall of Mott Irregulars
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 30 July 2010 - 05:56 AM

I´ll add - its definetly not unnecesary. Its part of huge story, part of convergence. Was Guy Fawkes story unnecesary? Well, he did nothing, but it was interesting and it painted background.  Its story of rise...path...and pretty naive failing. SE especially like those :) He should´ve stayed on path:)
Adept Ulrik - Highest Marshall of Quick Ben's Irregulars
Being optimistic´s worthless if it means ignoring the suffering of this world. Worse than worthless. It´s bloody evil.
- Fiddler

#18 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 30 July 2010 - 10:01 AM

it does add to raest's story, and also harllo's I agree with this. After this book I do not think Harllo will be an important character in the world of Wu as a whole, he was important in this book because of the death of Murillio and Cutter's vengeance. I like the fact that Dev'ad Anan Tol was not mentioned from when he escaped on the new emlava legs up until Raest mentions him in the azath! He finds freedom and then goes straight to attack Raest. Its brilliant, finds freedom then get jailed yet again!!
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#19 User is offline   HiddenOne 

• Mortal Sword
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 30 July 2010 - 01:47 PM

I thought he was after the Throne that would place him in command of T'Lan Imass.
HiddenOne. You son of a bitch. You slimy, skulking, low-posting scumbag. You knew it would come to this. Roundabout, maybe. Tortuous, certainly. But here we are, you and me again. I started the train on you so many many hours ago, and now I'm going to finish it. Die HO. Die. This is for last time, and this is for this game too. This is for all the people who died to your backstabbing, treacherous, "I sure don't know what's going on around here" filthy lying, deceitful ways. You son of a bitch. Whatever happens, this is justice. For me, this is justice. Vote HiddenOne Finally, I am at peace.

#20 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 30 July 2010 - 03:06 PM

I also figured the Empty Throne Devad ref'd was the First Throne, tho of course that could be wrong. No one is sitting on the Throne of Elder Shadow at the moment, although ST/Cot have custody of it.

Dev'ad was yet another bit of background that wound really nicely through a couple of other storylines but wasn't significant in and of itself. SE has given us a few of these per book and they are always a rich addition to the story, ie: Serat in GotM, the nameless soldier who takes Itkovian's helmet in MoI, Limp and his perpetually breaking leg...

That said, Harllo finding Devad is one of my favourite moments in TtH. The sense of wonder and world history that SE captures there just really nails one of the things i love about this series.

The fact that he was sucked into the Ritual without participating, the funky legs, his hate on for Raest, the complete failure to take revenge, these were all nice touchs to the story.

The Ritual thing is particularly interesting, buildling on bits and pieces of the Tellan Ritual that we've learned through various books.

- Abyss, could say Dev'ad was a miner character...
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users