• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Dev'ad Anan Tol

#21 User is offline   buddhacat 

• Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 30 July 2010 - 11:10 PM

View PostAbyss, on 30 July 2010 - 03:06 PM, said:

I also figured the Empty Throne Devad ref'd was the First Throne, tho of course that could be wrong. No one is sitting on the Throne of Elder Shadow at the moment, although ST/Cot have custody of it.

The closest throne (if there is one) would be the one The Tyrant is being re-awakened for. It's also what Kallor wants (he doesn't care for the CG's throne and Rhulad had it anyway).

Buddhacat

#22 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 30 July 2010 - 11:58 PM

It seems to me that there are multiple thrones of power in Darujhistan. Not necessarily all related to warrens, or the warrens we know best at least, and those characters who mention thrones don't all seem to be seeking the same one.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#23 User is offline   WhiskeyJackDaniels 

• Emperor

Posted 31 July 2010 - 03:36 AM

@ all the throne talk...

There is talk of a throne for the crippled god in his temple in Darujhistan, but we haven't seen it, and as of RotCG
Spoiler

We really know nothing about the Tyrant. It was very powerful, commanded the T'orrud Cabal and the Seguleh, went away, had successors/pretenders, and either it, or its power are about to be released/reborn. I don't think there is a magical throne like with the T'lan Imass or that commands a warren. If that were the case I believe Humble Measure would have just plunked his ass on it and did what he thought needs doing.
So, you're the historian who survived the Chain of Dogs.
Actually, I didn't.

It seems you stand alone.
It was ever thus.

#24 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 02 August 2010 - 08:22 AM

"Darujhistan would not fall to the Malazan Empire - he had found the means to ensure that. To ensure, indeed, that no foreign power could ever again threaten the city he now called home, ever again endanger his family, his loved ones.

To achieve this, Humble Measure well understood that he would need all his acumen in bringing complicated plans into fruition. He would need vast sums of coin, which he now had at his disposal. And, alas, he would need to be ruthless."

humble measure...
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#25 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 02 August 2010 - 10:17 AM

It's definitely one of the wickedest names SE has created.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#26 User is offline   Dev'ad Anan Tol 

• Recruit

Posted 02 August 2010 - 08:17 PM

thanks guys - appreciate the help.

#27 User is offline   Glory Goat 

• Recruit

Posted 13 September 2010 - 05:38 PM

Loved it. Another threat build-up that gets nullified without getting the chance to devastate. See: The demon-god in MT and RG that cannot catch a break in escaping from ice, ever. :D
"Because you have killed Shetra my wife!" the Lord cried in rage. "Because I have been unworthy of her all my life! Because I do not fear you, Raver! I am free of all restraint! No fear or love limits my strength! I match you hate for hate..."

#28 User is offline   Roldom 

• Great Wizzard of High House Naughtiness

Posted 02 October 2010 - 05:19 PM

who come Dev'ad Anan Tol was part of the ritual without him activly participating and yet other clans who wanted to become part of tellenan but where to far away got excluded and became the bargast?
I did not like the catfish... - Karsa Orlong

The best detox is retox - drunken co-worker

#29 User is offline   Hetan 

• Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • View gallery
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 02 October 2010 - 06:07 PM

View Postworrywort, on 30 July 2010 - 11:58 PM, said:

It seems to me that there are multiple thrones of power in Darujhistan. Not necessarily all related to warrens, or the warrens we know best at least, and those characters who mention thrones don't all seem to be seeking the same one.

This throne is in Lether not in Darujhistan. It was the empty throne he could sense.

Regarding the comment above about the barghast - the Imass who did not participate in the ritual did not become the barghast. The Barghast are a result of interbreeding between the Imass and the Toblakai.
"He was not a modest man. Contemplating suicide, he summoned a dragon". (Gothos' Folly)- Gothos

#30 User is offline   Roldom 

Posted 02 October 2010 - 06:30 PM

ok, but there were imass who didnt make it to the ritual, who stayed mortel MODGOD NOTICE OF LATER BOOK SPOILERS DELETED.

This post has been edited by Abyss: 13 May 2013 - 03:45 PM

#31 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 02 October 2010 - 09:23 PM

they were clans whose shamans didn't join their people to the ritual i suppose. dev'ad anan's shamans did, so he got caught up in it, whether he liked it or not.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#32 User is offline   Roldom 

Posted 03 October 2010 - 02:55 PM

but kilvia's blood tie with t'ool wasnt enough to turn her into an t'lan imass and im sure that its said that dev'ad anan was considered abit of a loner anyway, so his clan wouldnt of been that linked?

#33 User is offline   WhiskeyJackDaniels 

• Emperor

Posted 03 October 2010 - 03:40 PM

View PostRoldom, on 03 October 2010 - 02:55 PM, said:

but kilvia's blood tie with t'ool wasnt enough to turn her into an t'lan imass and im sure that its said that dev'ad anan was considered abit of a loner anyway, so his clan wouldnt of been that linked?

Tool isn't a bonecaster though. Kilava was his clans bonecaster, and she killed everyone in their clan except Tool right before the ritual. Also she had the painting drawn by Onrack which had already immortalized her. And as Lady Envy said, Tool is something unique among the Imass.
So, you're the historian who survived the Chain of Dogs.
Actually, I didn't.

It seems you stand alone.
It was ever thus.

#34 User is offline   Called-by-the-Voices 

• High Fist
  • I am not yet done

Posted 11 October 2010 - 03:49 PM

I absolutely loved his part in the story. Why? Because I find that this is what SE's writing is all about. Reinventing fantasy.
Just like Anno did with Evangelion and the anime mecha genre.
SE presents us with a well established stereotype in epic fantasy. An ancient creature, hidden from the world, musing on his vengeance for millions of years. The creature holds vast power and had time to plan his revenge, then he gets discovered by a little boy who knows not of its power nor importance.
The creature is once again set loose, unleashes his fury and all hell breaks loose. Right?
Wrong. SE establishes the stereotype up until the part where he rejoins the world. But in his world, the creature does not cause havoc nor destruction, it just gets stuck in an Azath garden. Sorry bro, too much time hidden from the world can't do you good, things have changed..
Anyway, that's just the way I saw it, and I loved it!

Wonderful twist and, as someone already mentioned, a great sense of irony.
And one by one the gardens died

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

13 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 13 guests, 0 anonymous users