Malazan Empire: Bullfighting outlawed in Catalonia, Spain. - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bullfighting outlawed in Catalonia, Spain.

#1 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 28 July 2010 - 04:48 PM

http://www.reuters.c...E66R1PO20100728

Spain's Catalonia votes to outlaw bullfighting
By Vanessa Romeo

BARCELONA | Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:53am EDT

(Reuters) - Lawmakers dealt the death blow to bullfighting in Catalonia on Wednesday, outlawing the centuries-old blood sport for the first time in a mainland region of Spain.

The result of 68 in favor, 55 against the ban was expected, since the Catalonian parliament had cast preliminary votes in December accepting a citizens' petition to stop bullfighting on the grounds that it constituted cruelty to animals.

In the debate, some lawmakers cited the declining popularity of bullfighting in Spain, where fewer people go each year to the arena to watch toreros in their gold "suit of lights" wield red capes and swords at close range against angry bulls.

"There are some traditions that can't remain frozen in time as society changes. We don't have to ban everything, but the most degrading things should be banned," said Josep Rull, member of parliament for the Catalonian nationalist party, or CiU.

Nine lawmakers abstained from voting in the debate in which animal activists concerned about the suffering of the bull argued against those who revere what they see as a bastion of Spanish culture steeped in colorful history.

Animal rights activists have pledged to spread the ban throughout the country. Anti-bullfighting groups gathered signatures from 180,000 Catalans, which forced parliament to vote on the matter.

"They have heard the outcry of a society that is reinventing its traditions," said Anna Mula, of the group Prou! (Enough!).

Highly ritualized bullfighting, in which the torero and his entourage use capes, lances and darts to subdue the bull and then kill it at close quarters with a sword, was made illegal in Spain's Canary islands in 1991.

"DEATH IN THE AFTERNOON"

For bullfighters and aficionados, the ring becomes a moving display of fear and courage which is central to Spanish culture and which caught the imagination of U.S. Nobel laureate Ernest Hemingway who wrote "Death in the Afternoon" about bullfighting.

"It's not a cruel show. Completely the opposite. It's a show that creates art: where you get feelings and a fight between a bull and person, where the person or the bull can lose their life," renowned bullfighter Serafin Marin told Reuters.

Under the ban, which would come into effect in 2012, the last active bullring in Catalonia's capital, Barcelona, would shut down, as would the remaining few elsewhere in the region.

Some lawmakers cited Spain's ongoing economic crisis -- the country is just emerging from a deep recession -- as a reason to keep bullfighting alive.

A report by an industry group that lobbied against the ban said 100 million euros of tickets to bullfights are sold annually in France and Spain, and projected rising unemployment benefit payouts for Catalonia's government when bullrings shut.

The bullfighting industry includes manufacturing of the elaborate suits as well as specialized breeding of bulls, which can cost up to 10,000 euros apiece.

"Banning bullfighting at a time of economic crisis is madness," said Rafael Luna, member of parliament for the conservative Popular Party, during the debate.

(Reporting by Alice Tozer; Writing by Fiona Ortiz; Editing by Peter Millership)

Well, thank fuck, it was about time, you evil bastards!

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 28 July 2010 - 04:49 PM

#2 User is offline   Aristai 

• Captain
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 28 July 2010 - 05:59 PM

Be interesting to see how much this actually has to do with bullfighting, as opposed to say, giving Madrid the finger.

#3 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 28 July 2010 - 06:03 PM

Care to elaborate on this? I read in another discussion that other parts of Spain are moving to protect the "sport" by claiming it is historically significant, bla bla.etc,

#4 User is offline   NikitaDarkstar 

• Lieutenant

Posted 28 July 2010 - 08:10 PM

About damn time!
Sanity is nothing more than an excuse for being boring.

#5 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 28 July 2010 - 08:21 PM

This board has a surprising number of bullfighting discussions.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#6 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 28 July 2010 - 08:29 PM

What can I say, it's a topic that has me seeing red.

#7 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 28 July 2010 - 09:05 PM

That might be the best worst joke I've ever heard.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#8 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 28 July 2010 - 09:11 PM

View PostAptorian, on 28 July 2010 - 06:03 PM, said:

Care to elaborate on this? I read in another discussion that other parts of Spain are moving to protect the "sport" by claiming it is historically significant, bla bla.etc,

I assume it has to do with the historic Catalonian attempts for independence from Espana proper?
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#9 User is offline   Thelomen Toblerone 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Team Handsome

Posted 28 July 2010 - 09:56 PM

See any article on the ongoing Spanish constitution crisis for the inevitable background discussion on catalonian seccession.

On bullfighting, glad to see it gone. As with fox hunting, cock fights, bear baiting etc, I fail to see the need for it.

Although it must be said I don't have any problem with the bull dying per se (I eat meat etc, it'd be hypocritical), it's the whole lead up to it that gets me - goading the bull, drugging it so it has no chance, and repeated stabs to diminish those chances even further before it all kicks off. Remove those elements, so it's a fully able-bodied bull against a bloke with a red tablecloth and an excellent hat, and I'm happy to see it continue. Fair fight and all that.

#10 User is offline   Harvester 

• Evil Baron Kitty of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 29 July 2010 - 12:44 AM

Springfield vs. Shelbyville on a larger scale.
I don't think the Catalan government cares that much about the bulls, they just want to take a dump on Spanish tradition. :)

This post has been edited by Harvester: 29 July 2010 - 12:44 AM

#11 User is offline   Ember 

• Corporal
  • Interests:Reading, writing, drawing, playing piano, singing, metal, traveling.

Posted 29 July 2010 - 01:20 AM

View PostHarvester, on 29 July 2010 - 12:44 AM, said:

Springfield vs. Shelbyville on a larger scale.

A+ :)

As for bullfighting... regardless of the reasons I'm quite glad to hear about this, that shit is barbaric.
darkness & silence
the light shall flicker out

#12 User is offline   Beezulbubba 

• ---
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 05 August 2010 - 01:56 AM

Sweet retribution.... lucky jag off walked away.

#13 User is offline   nomed 

• Corporal

Posted 05 August 2010 - 09:26 AM

They should of made a law so that those fucking pussies had to fight the bulls bare handed. I would of enjoyed it.

#14 User is offline   Beezulbubba 

• ---
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 23 September 2010 - 06:18 PM

http://news.google.c...MaqQiqQEKbkEnxM

#15 User is offline   stone monkey 

• I'm the baddest man alive and I don't plan to die...
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods

Posted 23 September 2010 - 06:50 PM

The Catalans don't like the Castillians for historic reasons dating back to when they were separate countries (and more recently to the Spanish Civil War) They state that bullfighting was never a Catalan tradition, it's Castillian, so they're happy to see it go... And give the Castillians one in the eye at the same time.
If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users