• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

book's cover

#21 User is offline   Dave1 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 24 January 2011 - 01:56 AM

Ye something needs to be done about fantasy covers in general. Ulysses or lotr never needed super hunks or scantily clad women in chain mail bikinis. That being said mbotf's are ok, the tower creats a good mood and I still think of that green-turquoise colour as the backdrop to genabackis.

#22 User is offline   Marcule 

• Corporal

Posted 01 February 2011 - 12:08 PM

Today I have accidentally run across 5 different covers for GotM, and I have actually bought 2 copys of this book. The first copy was the smaller paperback with the cover of a superimposed live-action (don't know why, but just the fact that its a live action photo made me laugh) picture of what I assume to be Ganoes Paran with a back drop of what i assumed to be Darujistan posted by Mutton. I purchased my 2nd copy of the larger paperback with the cover posted by the OP (with the sole purpose of wanting to study a larger map /shrug). I never looked very close and at first glance assumed it to be Moon's Spawn, but upon closer inspection it's hard to tell. I have also seen 2 more variations of the cover posted by Mutton with a live action dark haired girl holding a large sword placed in front of Ganoes? on both the right and left. I assumed her to be the adjunct, but she has red hair. Then I thought maybe she was supposed to be Sorry, but I don't remember her carrying a large sword at any point during the novel.

And then I just found a totally different cover (and rather impressive I might add) on the wiki page here http://en.wikipedia....of_the_Moon.jpg

I first read GotM 3 years ago, and just came across all these cover variations by happenstance during the last 4 hours of can't-sleep web-surfing. After a quick browse through my internet history I am unfortunately unable to find the covers with the girl on the front.The covers with the girl do not have the Donaldson endorsement, so I assume they are first and second print.

This post has been edited by Marcule: 01 February 2011 - 12:13 PM

...I'm not the best with heights, Sergent.
You live in a damned tower!
It's... expected of me. Isn't it?...

#23 User is offline   You've Got Mael! 

• Recruit

Posted 10 February 2011 - 09:24 PM

Attached File  1-Three_Gardens_of_the_Moon.jpg (24.59K)
Number of downloads: 10
Attached File  2-imgGardens of The Moon3.jpg (38.12K)
Number of downloads: 5
Attached File  3-gardens-of-the-moon.jpg (77.56K)
Number of downloads: 4
Attached File  4-9780553819571.jpg (37.19K)
Attached File  5-Steven-Erikson---Gardens-of-the-Moon-736168.jpg (10.7K)
Number of downloads: 2
Attached File  6-gardens-of-the-moon-steven-erikson1.jpg (14.5K)
Attached File  7-erikson_b.jpg (63.15K)
Number of downloads: 3

This post has been edited by You've Got Mael!: 10 February 2011 - 09:24 PM

#24 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 10 February 2011 - 11:15 PM

I didn't slave over this page for nuthin you guys: Gardens of the Moon (cover gallery at bottom).
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#25 User is offline   You've Got Mael! 

• Recruit

Posted 11 February 2011 - 12:52 AM

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 10 February 2011 - 11:15 PM, said:

I didn't slave over this page for nuthin you guys: Gardens of the Moon (cover gallery at bottom).

ah cool. Thanks for the work.

#26 User is offline   King Bear 

• Furry
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 12 February 2011 - 10:23 AM

Attached File  post-11404-0-41795700-1297372951.jpg (24.59K)
Number of downloads: 11

Anyone known what's happening in this picture? Is that Anomander with Draginpur? And what is that city (or is it a fortress?)suppposed to be? Darujistan?

It's been a long while since I read the book.

This post has been edited by Bombur: 12 February 2011 - 10:24 AM

#27 User is offline   beru 

• shy guy
  • Interests:gaming (strategy/tactic first persons)<br />reading<br />swiming

Posted 12 February 2011 - 10:26 AM

pale and Tayscren or somthing i belive...
i want to see this world where T'lan imass kneels

#28 User is offline   King Bear 

• Furry
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 12 February 2011 - 10:28 AM

View Postberu, on 12 February 2011 - 10:26 AM, said:

pale and Tayscren or somthing i belive...

Seems plausible!

That cover really perplexed me.

#29 User is offline   opiate taylor 

• Sergeant

Posted 17 February 2011 - 02:15 PM

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 10 February 2011 - 11:15 PM, said:

First time I've been to the site. I really like the idea at least of the Spanish cover-- what I guess are Raest and the dragons. At least the art is related to the book's contents.
"The commodore says you're a fucking asshole."

#30 User is offline   Komanthodel 

• Recruit

Posted 20 February 2011 - 09:51 PM

I've seen that Bantam has released a "10th Anniversary" HB edition. Was Gardens of the Moon ever released as a HB, or just a Tpb?

#31 User is offline   dano 

• The King's Hand

Posted 21 February 2011 - 01:23 AM

Wow that last one with Rake is quite excellent...except for the font which doesn't really match with the whole badass guy with a sword :admin:

#32 User is offline   Greenbird 

• Recruit

Posted 01 March 2011 - 10:08 AM

View PostBombur, on 12 February 2011 - 10:23 AM, said:

Attachment post-11404-0-41795700-1297372951.jpg

Anyone known what's happening in this picture? Is that Anomander with Draginpur? And what is that city (or is it a fortress?)suppposed to be? Darujistan?

Yes this is the book I have. I bought it pretty cheap around maybe 6 years ago. I do believe it is Rake with Dragnipur at the Enfilade at Pale. No other scene resembles this. Its not Darujistan, I think its Pale as he is about to commence battle with Empire mages.

#33 User is offline   HedgeWalker 

• Topiary Tottering
  • Interests:The complex relationship between underwear volume and personality disposition.

Posted 01 March 2011 - 05:02 PM

View PostGreenbird, on 01 March 2011 - 10:08 AM, said:

View PostBombur, on 12 February 2011 - 10:23 AM, said:

Yes this is the book I have. I bought it pretty cheap around maybe 6 years ago. I do believe it is Rake with Dragnipur at the Enfilade at Pale. No other scene resembles this. Its not Darujistan, I think its Pale as he is about to commence battle with Empire mages.

I thought Tayschrenn at Pale. I don't remember him carrying a sword, I do remember him hurling fire (not lightning) but I had put that down to artistic license... My minds-eye had Rake in a portal/window on Moons Spawn....Alas, my memory is not what it once was...it's better than it once was...in so far as to say it's still rubbish...

GR - who after a long day is clearly of diminishing use...

#34 User is offline   ImpyTheFallen 

• Recruit

Posted 09 April 2011 - 10:09 PM

The original Bantam cover from the UK in 1999

[this one] is my favorite, personally, it's the only one that feels epic, and I love how the view is tilted.

Attached File  Gardens Of The Moon Book Cover.jpg (151.8K)
Number of downloads: 3
To landeth safely upon diminutive points, leapeth lively and presseth the triggering device with the round geometrical object emblazoned upon it - Riochi Cooper

#35 User is offline   Darujhistan~Glow 

• Recruit

Posted 08 December 2011 - 01:46 PM

Is that Paran?

View PostEsotericForest, on 22 December 2010 - 02:28 PM, said:

View PostBlackMoranthofDoom, on 09 August 2010 - 05:49 AM, said:

I pictured it as being a tower on Moon's Spawn or something because there is a city inside.

I never really thought about it very hard and assumed it was moon spawn. That's not to say I could've be way off

#36 User is offline   sliznice 

• Recruit

Posted 28 March 2015 - 05:42 PM

Hi all! I'm sorry to not introducing myself properly and sorry for necroing old thread but..
I'm on my third reread, this time not in my native language but in english (sorry in advance for my writing skills) and could this mysterious tower be actually Gothos' Folly? Because I just googled "folly" and resulting images were strikingly similar.

#37 User is offline   melonhead 

• Lieutenant

Posted 01 April 2015 - 11:12 AM

I could be wrong, but I think when Gothos' Folly is mentioned in the book, they are referring to a collection of written works by Gothos. I don't recall any mention of Gothos' Folly as in his tower. It has been a long time since I read GotM though
Do you think God stays in heaven because he too, lives in fear of what he's created?Steve BuscemiSpy Kids 2

#38 User is offline   sliznice 

• Recruit

Posted 01 April 2015 - 12:54 PM

View Postmelonhead, on 01 April 2015 - 11:12 AM, said:

I could be wrong, but I think when Gothos' Folly is mentioned in the book, they are referring to a collection of written works by Gothos. I don't recall any mention of Gothos' Folly as in his tower. It has been a long time since I read GotM though

It certainly is mentioned as a name of his best known written works and I didn't thought that at the cover is THE Gothos' Folly. Just his tower. Maybe a place where he wrote his masterpiece which he named ambiguously as his "foolishnes" (as it would be viewed by many in the future) and at a same time after the place where he lived, like his personal joke. After all Jaghuts were known for living in small towers and with Gothos and his knowledge about world
Spoiler
But it's really just an amusing idea of mine ;)

This post has been edited by sliznice: 01 April 2015 - 12:56 PM

#39 User is offline   Shadow Knight 

• Corporal

Posted 01 April 2015 - 01:05 PM

Is it not Hinters tower?

#40 User is offline   sliznice 

• Recruit

Posted 01 April 2015 - 01:21 PM

View PostShadow Knight, on 01 April 2015 - 01:05 PM, said:

Is it not Hinters tower?

It could be but I personaly don't think so. Hinter's Tower is inside the city in Estate District which to me is implying much more 'noble' neighborhood than some rocky cliffs.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users