Malazan Empire: Erikson completes the MALAZAN BOOK OF THE FALLEN - Malazan Empire

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Erikson completes the MALAZAN BOOK OF THE FALLEN 20 years, 3 million + words, 10 books, 4 novellas... Rate Topic: -----

#61 User is offline   kasjang 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 07 November 2010 - 06:44 PM

Do You really want this to end? I don't.

#62 User is offline   Mulch 

• Fist

Posted 08 November 2010 - 09:30 AM

At least he finished it, GRRM, Robert Jordan (RIP), David Gemmell (RIP)etc.......

Nothing worse than being a fan of a series and the author not finishing the books. Gemmell was taken too early, Jordan cashed in and his life's work was incomplete, GRRM wtf???

Erikson shows respect to his fan base by consistently delivering a book a year :)
"Here's to beer!, the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems" Homer Simpson

#63 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 08 November 2010 - 09:47 AM

At least now. 8 years between GotM and DHG? ;]

In any case, an end to the MBotF doesn't mean the end of Wu books. Just one large story arc. There's plenty of room for more.

Wouldn't YOU like a novel set during the last days of the Human First Empire? The conquest of Quon Tali? The Shattering of Emuhrlan?
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#64 User is offline   High house Me 

• Recruit

Posted 08 November 2010 - 12:03 PM

I want a book where one of the remaining armies e.g. ganoes' comes back to the empire and starts kicking arse and taking names :)

#65 User is offline   D'iversify 

• First Sword

Posted 08 November 2010 - 12:47 PM

View PostMulch, on 08 November 2010 - 09:30 AM, said:

At least he finished it, GRRM, Robert Jordan (RIP), David Gemmell (RIP)etc.......

Nothing worse than being a fan of a series and the author not finishing the books. Gemmell was taken too early, Jordan cashed in and his life's work was incomplete, GRRM wtf???

Erikson shows respect to his fan base by consistently delivering a book a year :)
I sometimes wish I hadn't been the one at the Gemmell book signing I went to a few years back (2004 to be precise, just after he'd published Swords of Night & Day) who asked him "When you gonna write that 'War of the Twins' novel, eh". Turned out never.
I am the Onyx Wizards

#66 User is offline   Fid 

• Old Git of High House Muttley

Posted 21 November 2010 - 07:51 PM

From SE's FB status on Friday...

"finished edit on The Crippled God which means that's the last time I will ever read the novel front to back. Feels like I can die tomorrow and be fine with that, and all the rest of the time allotted me is, like, free. Oh, and started the next B&KB novella yesterday. And 'Excesses of Youth' will star a new character inspired by someone most of you know... Did I ever mention my evil streak?"

#67 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 21 November 2010 - 09:13 PM

View PostFid, on 21 November 2010 - 07:51 PM, said:

... And 'Excesses of Youth' will star a new character inspired by someone most of you know... Did I ever mention my evil streak?"

You just know he means Justin Bieber...

Back on topic, can anyone think of a single other ten book epic fantasy series that's actually complete?

WoT is out because of the author switch, and Brookes' Shannara is a series of trilogies, not really a single series.

So i'm stumped, and a little bit in awe - did SE just set the new benchmark?
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#68 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 21 November 2010 - 09:52 PM

View PostAbyss, on 21 November 2010 - 09:13 PM, said:

Back on topic, can anyone think of a single other ten book epic fantasy series that's actually complete?

What about the David Eddings series involving the Torak god, a talking blue ball and sorcerers? The one that's basically YA stuff. I think that one was finished.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#69 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 21 November 2010 - 10:12 PM

View Postamphibian, on 21 November 2010 - 09:52 PM, said:

..What about the David Eddings series involving the Torak god, a talking blue ball and sorcerers? The one that's basically YA stuff. I think that one was finished.

Eddings BELGARIAD is two 'quintologies' and a bunch of one shots basically retelling the same story from other perspectives. Likely passes ten books in # but in terms of teling a single story from beginning to end, not quite the same. THIEVES WORLD has at least ten volumes but that's a series of anthology books. I'm sure there's more than ten CONAN books but those are all standalones. Feist has done more than ten books re Midkemia, but again, those are in sets of 3-4 books.

Maybe i'm being too nitpicky, but i'm thinking this hasn't been done before unless someone can show me different?

#70 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 21 November 2010 - 10:12 PM

Technically that's two five book series set in the same universe. Technically. Can't think of any completed ones off the top of my head, but Wurts' Wars of Light and Shadow is just as long at the moment I think and is almost done.

EDIT - I guess there's Goodkind...and is Recluce done? That'd be another one, it's like 15 books or so.

This post has been edited by MTS: 21 November 2010 - 10:23 PM

Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#71 User is offline   beru 

• shy guy
  • Interests:gaming (strategy/tactic first persons)<br />reading<br />swiming

Posted 21 November 2010 - 10:54 PM

thats not books, thats waste of perfectly good paper...
i want to see this world where T'lan imass kneels

#72 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 21 November 2010 - 11:06 PM

RECLUCE may be in there. Someone more familiar than i could say whether it's a series of standalones or a real continued story, but the #s seem to add up at least.

#73 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 21 November 2010 - 11:42 PM

Whether there are series that have matched the MBotF in length or not, I don't think there has been a series with as much scope as this (well, arguably ASOIAF and WOT), so I definitely think he has set the benchmark there, if not in length. The character count alone would be unprecedented, I think.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#74 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 22 November 2010 - 12:22 AM

Recluce is weird. I don't know whether it is a series or not. I'm inclined to say that the 6 or 7 are definitely following a common plot line, despite it's vast difference in time settings. Others are duologies and stand alones.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#75 User is offline   WhiskeyJackDaniels 

• Emperor

Posted 22 November 2010 - 03:06 AM

I've never read them, but isn't the Dark Tower series really long? Though the books are shorter I think.
So, you're the historian who survived the Chain of Dogs.
Actually, I didn't.

It seems you stand alone.
It was ever thus.

#76 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 22 November 2010 - 03:18 AM

The Dark Tower is 7.

7 books of gunslingin badassery.

And he's apparently working on another set between 4 and 5.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#77 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 22 November 2010 - 03:20 AM

Dark Tower is seven books long. There are a fair few that are that long (or will be), but not many at all that exceed ten and are one contiguous storyline.

#78 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 22 November 2010 - 03:53 AM

Dresden is at 12, but the books are about 1/3 of the size after MoI.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#79 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Writing. Martial arts. Sport. Music, playing and singing, composition.

Posted 22 November 2010 - 11:03 AM

Wurts's Wars of Light and Shadow is nowhere near done -- but it is the closest fantasy series to MBotF that comes to mind. Chung Kuo is 8, and complete, so might be the closest thing we have so far. Dune is possibly the closest in conception and execution, though incomplete at only 6 novels.
It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about nowadays saying things against one, behind one's back, that are absolutely and entirely true.
-- Oscar Wilde

#80 User is offline   Fid 

• Old Git of High House Muttley

Posted 22 November 2010 - 11:03 AM

Ian Irvine's three worlds series, though that is 2 quartets and a trilogy - and the first is 200 years before the next 4 and then 10 years until last 3

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users