Malazan Empire: Reputation? - Malazan Empire

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Reputation? Don't really understand what's behind it

#1 User is offline   Braden 

• Creature of Shadow and Ice
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Airsoft, Live Role Play, reading, music, family...not actually really in that order.

Posted 21 July 2010 - 08:55 AM

Basically, I’m not sure what “Reputation” means? Who grants it, what are the reasons behind being given it, can any member grant it??

Etc etc…

Did a forum search and there’s not much mentioned about it that I could find.

#2 User is offline   Kanubis 

• Captain of Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 21 July 2010 - 09:01 AM

Any member can grant it (see the bottom right of each post) and leave a comment if they wish.

I'm never sure, being newish myself, if it was intended to approve of someone's accurate and helpful response to a Malazan based question, or to show approval of the latest batshit mental picture that Aptorian has dragged from shady depths of the internet. It's basically a 'I like this' thing I guess. I seldom see negative reps.
Captain of Team Quick Ben. Also teaboy.

#3 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 21 July 2010 - 09:04 AM

Rep is what you get if people think you have written a particularly noteworthy, interesting, funny, vicious etc. post in a thread. You see the plus and minus sign at the bottom of other peoples posts? If you click on one of them it gives you the option to give positive rep or negative rep (if you hated what the other person said or they were being a douche etc.) When you get to the main forum screen on the right hand side you can see how much rep you currently have. It doesn't really do anything for you but certain forum members equate it to having a bigger e-penis... Mentioning noAPTORIANnames...

It's just a bit of fun really and I guess if it makes people write with a bit more forethought then all the better. Feel free to try it with my post! :)
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#4 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 21 July 2010 - 09:11 AM

Reputation is a way of expressing your approval or disapproval of another user's posts. This can be because they are particularly funny, thoughtful, subtle or crazy, or because the user has expressed some deeply offensive sentiment (ensure it is not a joke first) or has in some way trolled or spammed an otherwise perfectly acceptable thread.

Reputation can be granted by any member, and all member's rep counts for the same (in the old system, which you will often find members reminiscing about, users gained 'rep power' in relation to their rep - a rep from a particularly repped member could add up to 100 points to your own reputation in a single click). You can leave a comment expressing in more detail your opinion on the post ("That was hilarious!", for example), but keep these short as there is a character limit where the comment will be cut off.

The basic idea of rep is that members do not abuse it. If you're not sure whether you want to rep, it's better not to, as this keeps the 'value' of a rep point higher - think before you rep!
Plus, it is best to spend a bit of time around the forum before you give out some rep, to get a feel for the different user's personalities and humour, so you can properly appreciate and assess the relative merits of each post. You don't have to, of course, if there is something that stands out to you straight away as particularly good (in some way or another), feel free to +rep. Though I also suggest you avoid negative reps early on, as such is rare at the best of times, and can often lead to problems on the forum.

I hope this helps your understanding of the rep system. Welcome to the forums! :)

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#5 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 21 July 2010 - 09:16 AM

Every time you give good rep, a puppy is spared from the shark tank.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#6 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 21 July 2010 - 09:43 AM

It's a tool for Apt to validate himself.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#7 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 21 July 2010 - 09:53 AM

View PostMTS, on 21 July 2010 - 09:43 AM, said:

It's a tool for Apt to validate rub himself with when he is naked and shaved. I suggest you avoid the visual.

Too late! :)

Fixed that for you.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#8 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 21 July 2010 - 09:57 AM

You're thinking about his post count, Sombra. :)
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#9 User is offline   Braden 

• Interests:Airsoft, Live Role Play, reading, music, family...not actually really in that order.

Posted 21 July 2010 - 10:03 AM

It's a tool for Apt to Violate himself.

Fixed again...*snigger*

#10 User is offline   Braden 

Posted 21 July 2010 - 10:06 AM

Thank you all for the information, been on the forums for a few weeks now properly (after lurking for a while) and I’m enjoying the community spirit in particular.

I got a Rep point the other day and it got me wondering all about it….so thank you again for clearing this up.

#11 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 21 July 2010 - 10:30 AM

View PostMTS, on 21 July 2010 - 09:57 AM, said:

I try not to because it's that along with his rep count that trips his trigger. :)

View PostBraden, on 21 July 2010 - 10:03 AM, said:

Fixed again...*snigger*

I don't know if he regards it as a 'violation' actually ... :D

View PostBraden, on 21 July 2010 - 10:06 AM, said:

Thank you all for the information, been on the forums for a few weeks now properly (after lurking for a while) and I’m enjoying the community spirit in particular. I got a Rep point the other day and it got me wondering all about it….so thank you again for clearing this up.

No worries, glad you're having fun. Just try to avoid the visuals. Shields up! :)

This post has been edited by Sombra: 21 July 2010 - 10:31 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#12 User is offline   Braden 

Posted 21 July 2010 - 10:40 AM

View PostSombra, on 21 July 2010 - 10:30 AM, said:

I try not to because it's that along with his rep count that trips his trigger. :)

View PostBraden, on 21 July 2010 - 10:03 AM, said:

Fixed again...*snigger*

I don't know if he regards it as a 'violation' actually ... :D

View PostBraden, on 21 July 2010 - 10:06 AM, said:

Thank you all for the information, been on the forums for a few weeks now properly (after lurking for a while) and I’m enjoying the community spirit in particular. I got a Rep point the other day and it got me wondering all about it….so thank you again for clearing this up.

No worries, glad you're having fun. Just try to avoid the visuals. Shields up! :)

No-no...its ok, I have my "Delete" button located on the side of my head for offensive material.

#13 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 21 July 2010 - 10:40 AM

View PostSombra, on 21 July 2010 - 10:30 AM, said:

Very true. Do you remember the 10,000 post thread? Ahahaha that post by Abyss was nothing short of brilliant.

@Braden, good to see new people enjoying themselves. We have a reputation for scaring off the newbies :)

#14 User is offline   hmqb 

• The Abyssmal Army's Official Cult Expert and Brainwasher
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 21 July 2010 - 11:18 AM

hmmmm we only need to get 70 people and we could make apt's rep go down to 0 in one day.... lolz.
-

#15 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 21 July 2010 - 11:20 AM

Well, actually, we only need one admin to make Apt's rep cease to exist. :)

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#16 User is offline   HiddenOne 

• Mortal Sword
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 21 July 2010 - 01:37 PM

Is a flame war about to erupt in this forum? Because I want to watch...
HiddenOne. You son of a bitch. You slimy, skulking, low-posting scumbag. You knew it would come to this. Roundabout, maybe. Tortuous, certainly. But here we are, you and me again. I started the train on you so many many hours ago, and now I'm going to finish it. Die HO. Die. This is for last time, and this is for this game too. This is for all the people who died to your backstabbing, treacherous, "I sure don't know what's going on around here" filthy lying, deceitful ways. You son of a bitch. Whatever happens, this is justice. For me, this is justice. Vote HiddenOne Finally, I am at peace.

#17 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 21 July 2010 - 01:39 PM

View PostSilencer, on 21 July 2010 - 11:20 AM, said:

Well, actually, we only need one admin to make Apt's rep cease to exist. Posted Image

I admit to nothing.

- Abyss, awaits rep for that. :)
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#18 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 21 July 2010 - 06:07 PM

View PostAbyss, on 21 July 2010 - 01:39 PM, said:

Well, actually, we only need one admin to make Apt's rep cease to exist. Posted Image

I admit to nothing.

- Abyss, awaits rep for that. :)

Do we really feel like offending the Swedes, Norwegians and Germans? Because Apt's screams would be heard that far ... :)

#19 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 21 July 2010 - 06:39 PM

View PostSombra, on 21 July 2010 - 06:07 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 21 July 2010 - 01:39 PM, said:

I admit to nothing.

- Abyss, awaits rep for that. Posted Image

Do we really feel like offending the Swedes, Norwegians and Germans? Because Apt's screams would be heard that far ... Posted Image

It would be a cautionary tale about a man and his e-penis.

- Abyss, using the term 'man' VERY loosely there...
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#20 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 25 July 2010 - 03:23 PM

Posted Image

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic