• You cannot reply to this topic

Dassem Ultor

#21 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 28 July 2010 - 02:50 PM

View PostAlanH, on 28 July 2010 - 01:41 PM, said:

View PostHetan, on 21 July 2010 - 05:29 AM, said:

I've spoilered the RotCG reference as it is a later book than the ones currently under discussion.

Oh come on, are you serious? He said that he "heard" that there might be "hints" in a later book. I don't think I've ever heard a less convincing sentence than that one.

You know what, you're absolutely right. By the way, I heard from a friend there might be proof that Kilimandaros is the mother of Icarium in DoD. See, it's not a spoiler. Oh I also heard that in DoD there are hints that the Crippled God is behind the K'Chain skykeeps in the Imperial Warren from BH. Again, not a spoiler right? These are just unconvincing little spoilers that happen to ruin the mystery and speculation for anyone who hasn't read the entire series yet, what a shame.

Obviously those aren't actually real spoilers (or are they? ooooo) because I have more sense than that, but I think it illustrates my point pretty easily.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#22 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 28 July 2010 - 02:58 PM

MODGOD NOTICE OF STOP ARGUING ABOUT WHATEVER IT IS BEING ARGUED ABOUT AND STICK (CLOSER ) TO THE TOPIC OR THE THREAD WILL BE CLOSED.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#23 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 28 July 2010 - 04:11 PM

View PostAbyss, on 28 July 2010 - 02:58 PM, said:

MODGOD NOTICE OF STOP ARGUING ABOUT WHATEVER IT IS BEING ARGUED ABOUT AND STICK (CLOSER ) TO THE TOPIC OR THE THREAD WILL BE CLOSED.

Please just delete the thread. In addition to the answer being spoilered like 3 times, debating about whether the things in here are spoilers or not has pretty clearly outlined the answer to a reader even if they don't view the spoiler boxes.

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#24 User is offline   HiddenOne 

• Mortal Sword
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 28 July 2010 - 07:08 PM

Anyway, I've heard, that possibly there might be hints, maybe, at some later stage, in what might be a series of what appear to be books, that may or may not answer what appears to be the original question...

I believe that your conjecture is wavering speculation, and I insist you withdraw your supposed remarks about these alleged events regarding pseudo-books until such time as confirmation may be obtained!
HiddenOne. You son of a bitch. You slimy, skulking, low-posting scumbag. You knew it would come to this. Roundabout, maybe. Tortuous, certainly. But here we are, you and me again. I started the train on you so many many hours ago, and now I'm going to finish it. Die HO. Die. This is for last time, and this is for this game too. This is for all the people who died to your backstabbing, treacherous, "I sure don't know what's going on around here" filthy lying, deceitful ways. You son of a bitch. Whatever happens, this is justice. For me, this is justice. Vote HiddenOne Finally, I am at peace.

#25 User is offline   AlanH 

• Lieutenant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 28 July 2010 - 11:10 PM

View PostHiddenOne, on 28 July 2010 - 07:08 PM, said:

Anyway, I've heard, that possibly there might be hints, maybe, at some later stage, in what might be a series of what appear to be books, that may or may not answer what appears to be the original question...

I believe that your conjecture is wavering speculation, and I insist you withdraw your supposed remarks about these alleged events regarding pseudo-books until such time as confirmation may be obtained!

Although there is the possibilty that we may have drifted away from that which masquerades as an original post, the sentient being which some may insist one should call "I" feels that he should perhaps reply to what could be considered a somewhat verbose reply to my seemingly bad attempt at that which the Italian's may call umorismo. What may have appeared to be some sort of insinuation about said books being questionable, could easily have been misunderstood, and was perhaps thus. I merely speculated that I am perhaps unaware of the true existence of said pieces of paper in some sort of binding, that many appear to call "books".
"I don't know why we are here, but I'm pretty sure that it is not in order to enjoy ourselves." - Ludwig Wittgenstein

#26 User is offline   Johnny Phoenix 

• Sergeant

Posted 29 July 2010 - 02:49 AM

Its funny when an argument originating with you continues after you've left it. lol

Worrywort, I apologize too, I shouldn't have been that stubborn to begin with.

#27 User is offline   joran6 

• Not Apsalar
  • Interests:Fantasy Football, Fantasy Novels, Wheat Beers & Scotch, Woodworking, All HBO Series'

Posted 19 August 2010 - 11:37 PM

I don't quite understand what happened to Dassem in the healing tent. Surly mentions that Dassem's "fluttering at death's door." We know that Dassem swore his soul to Hood, who he then rejected. Then, after Surly and Topper leave, Temper appears to plunge a knife into Dassem's chest. Dassem then wakes up and proceeds to whoop a lot of ass. I'm sure I am missing something a bit obvious, but I'd really appreciate clarification on what exactly happened here. How, exactly, was Dassem revived?

FYI: I've read the main books through Reaper's Gale. I'm about 3/4 done with NoK, but I keep thinking back to this part of the book. Next is RotCG!

Thanks, all! My first post.......Posted Image
"None could guess my confusion, my host of deluded illusions and elusive delusions! A mantle of marble hiding a crumbling core of sandstone. See how they stare at me, wondering, all wondering, at my secret wellspring of wisdom..." - Iskaral Pust

#28 User is offline   HiddenOne 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 20 August 2010 - 12:39 PM

View Postjoran6, on 19 August 2010 - 11:37 PM, said:

I don't quite understand what happened to Dassem in the healing tent. Surly mentions that Dassem's "fluttering at death's door." We know that Dassem swore his soul to Hood, who he then rejected. Then, after Surly and Topper leave, Temper appears to plunge a knife into Dassem's chest. Dassem then wakes up and proceeds to whoop a lot of ass. I'm sure I am missing something a bit obvious, but I'd really appreciate clarification on what exactly happened here. How, exactly, was Dassem revived?

FYI: I've read the main books through Reaper's Gale. I'm about 3/4 done with NoK, but I keep thinking back to this part of the book. Next is RotCG!

Thanks, all! My first post.......Posted Image

I think Temper stabbed him a little just to wake Dassem up and make him mad enough to fight. That always works for me.
HiddenOne. You son of a bitch. You slimy, skulking, low-posting scumbag. You knew it would come to this. Roundabout, maybe. Tortuous, certainly. But here we are, you and me again. I started the train on you so many many hours ago, and now I'm going to finish it. Die HO. Die. This is for last time, and this is for this game too. This is for all the people who died to your backstabbing, treacherous, "I sure don't know what's going on around here" filthy lying, deceitful ways. You son of a bitch. Whatever happens, this is justice. For me, this is justice. Vote HiddenOne Finally, I am at peace.

#29 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 20 August 2010 - 02:58 PM

Temper doesn't actually stab him, he tries to and Dassem wakes up, grabs Temper's arm and stops him. The point is that Dassem is so pissed at Hood that when near death he gets a surge of adrenaline or whatever because dying would let Hood win and he still needs to have his vengeance on the God of Death. Presumably Surly's Claw had a more subtle way of achieving Dassem's death, but a simple way like a knife to the chest is obvious enough for Dassem to defy it.

#30 User is offline   joran6 

• Not Apsalar
  • Interests:Fantasy Football, Fantasy Novels, Wheat Beers & Scotch, Woodworking, All HBO Series'

Posted 20 August 2010 - 10:53 PM

View PostD, on 20 August 2010 - 02:58 PM, said:

Temper doesn't actually stab him, he tries to and Dassem wakes up, grabs Temper's arm and stops him. The point is that Dassem is so pissed at Hood that when near death he gets a surge of adrenaline or whatever because dying would let Hood win and he still needs to have his vengeance on the God of Death. Presumably Surly's Claw had a more subtle way of achieving Dassem's death, but a simple way like a knife to the chest is obvious enough for Dassem to defy it.

Thanks! That seems to make sense. I guess that the part I didn't realize is that Dassem was aware of his surroundings at the time. I thought he was unconscious.
"None could guess my confusion, my host of deluded illusions and elusive delusions! A mantle of marble hiding a crumbling core of sandstone. See how they stare at me, wondering, all wondering, at my secret wellspring of wisdom..." - Iskaral Pust

#31 User is offline   HiddenOne 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 21 August 2010 - 12:35 PM

Dassem wouldn't let a little thing like unconciousness stop him from putting the beat down on anybody foolish enough to mess with him.

#32 User is offline   WickanAssasin 

• Recruit
  • In our eyes, Deeds have measure

Posted 13 September 2010 - 07:59 PM

View PostBottle Service, on 21 July 2010 - 01:51 AM, said:

I also remember, again not specifically, from when Cot was on Drift Avilli (sp?) he said something to the effect that he should leave before Traveler saw him. In NoK from Tempers flashback it also seems like DU wasn't very buddy buddy with Kel in the end, and may have blamed him for the deaths of his men. Temper said again and again "the malazan regulars will be here soon, just like always" but they never would. Its not much of a stretch to think that Surly put her Claw into Sergeant positions and told them to hold back, and it also wouldn't be hard to think that DU would think that came down from Kel.

I cannot find the exact quote, but it says in NoK that Kel and Dancer were not in control of the empire for the last few years, perhaps not even in the same realm. That would lead one to believe that Surly was already the acting Regent of the Empire. She would have control of the army, and be able to order the Sergeants to hold back. This all happened as the beginning of the purge of the Old Guard that is mentioned in many of the novels, back to GoTM.

#33 User is offline   GingerBreadMan 

• High Fist

Posted 18 September 2010 - 11:41 PM

View PostWickanAssasin, on 13 September 2010 - 07:59 PM, said:

View PostBottle Service, on 21 July 2010 - 01:51 AM, said:

I also remember, again not specifically, from when Cot was on Drift Avilli (sp?) he said something to the effect that he should leave before Traveler saw him. In NoK from Tempers flashback it also seems like DU wasn't very buddy buddy with Kel in the end, and may have blamed him for the deaths of his men. Temper said again and again "the malazan regulars will be here soon, just like always" but they never would. Its not much of a stretch to think that Surly put her Claw into Sergeant positions and told them to hold back, and it also wouldn't be hard to think that DU would think that came down from Kel.

I cannot find the exact quote, but it says in NoK that Kel and Dancer were not in control of the empire for the last few years, perhaps not even in the same realm. That would lead one to believe that Surly was already the acting Regent of the Empire. She would have control of the army, and be able to order the Sergeants to hold back. This all happened as the beginning of the purge of the Old Guard that is mentioned in many of the novels, back to GoTM.

Yea, the series makes it clear that Laseen was running things for several years before she officially took over.

In NoK, Tays is wondering aloud as to what Dancer/Kellanved are up to..

Says their support has been cut away from them, that the Claws and the Fists would not accept their return, which btw is one of my pet peeves with Esselmont..

If those two killed Laseen, Topper, Pearl etc.. do you really think the other Claws and Fists will try to fight them off?

Dancer and Kellanved would appear in the various cities, wipe out the mutinous Fists and seize control with relative ease

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users