Malazan Empire: Hounds of Shadow\Darkness - Malazan Empire

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Hounds of Shadow\Darkness

#41 Guest_bc7_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 01 February 2006 - 01:00 AM

Paran could sense them in Darkness, because they had reverted back to Darkness, as per my previous post. As for them being chained by Karsa. Don't you sense a symmetry in their tale ? Hounds of Shadow > Killed > Chained > Hounds of Darkness > Killed > Chained. Reminds me of Rhulad and his many deaths as well, for that matter.

#42 User is offline   Draconus and K'rul 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Oh the possibilities...

Posted 24 June 2008 - 05:33 AM

I really wish that they weren't, but I am not sure if the two hounds of darkness are different from the two hounds of shadow. In a conversation between Quick Ben and Kalam in when Kalam is telling Quick Ben about his encounter with the hounds of darkness, Quick Ben says, "The Deragoth, then. So, who broke their chains, I wonder?"

It sounds to me like Ben is referring to the chains that bind all of the victims in Rake's sword. In the same conversation, Quick Ben asks Kalam, "What are they doing here ?" Also after the Deragoth's first attack, the book tells us that Shadowthrone's mind is "racing." Could that mean that Shadowthrone must know or at least suspect that these are the hounds he thought to be long dead? Could his mind be racing because he realizes that he can no longer exert the same amount of controll on the Hounds of Darkness as he could on them when they were just hounds of shadow?

What do you guys think? I hope that someone can clear this up.

#43 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 24 June 2008 - 06:40 AM

Impressive thread necro there.

You'll learn a lot more about the Hounds and Deragoth in Bonehunters.

They're not the same things, but there's an important connection between them. Perhaps the Hounds are merely the Shadows of the Deragoth, perhaps they're something else.

There's still a lot we don't know about them.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

11 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users