• You cannot reply to this topic

Tor.com - Book Club Style Re-Read

#21 User is offline   alt146 

• Here comes the Strongbad!
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 17 September 2010 - 12:18 PM

View PostWeave, on 17 September 2010 - 12:03 PM, said:

Hmm we're not discussing it much!
So far the only thing I've taken from it, is that I must be REALLY frigging thick.
Because as a first time reader, Amanda gets some references/clues WAY before I did. I swear Bill must be prepping her, no-ones that insightful, surely!?
Or maybe as she's readinging and taking notes, she's just paying more attention to detail than I, who approached it purely for fun and entertainment, without realising everything was going to be so full of foreshadowing and hidden hints.
I think I'll massage my ego with that scenario, yes.:)

How's everyone else finding it?

I think the fact the she is reading the series very slowly helps, as do all the people in the comments who point out the throwaway looking lines that actually turn out to be important. She's definitely got a firmer grasp on the series than what I had the first time around. The content of the reread is good, the site itself is horrible. A proper forum like ours would probably be much better suited for to the task.
[url="http://www.alt146.zzl.org"]MafiaManager[/url]: My Mafia Modding tool - Now at v0.3b

With great power comes a great integral of energy over time.

#22 User is offline   Weave 

• I'm HAPPY CLAPPY!
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 17 September 2010 - 02:01 PM

View Postalt146, on 17 September 2010 - 12:18 PM, said:

I think the fact the she is reading the series very slowly helps, as do all the people in the comments who point out the throwaway looking lines that actually turn out to be important. She's definitely got a firmer grasp on the series than what I had the first time around. The content of the reread is good, the site itself is horrible. A proper forum like ours would probably be much better suited for to the task.

Ah very true about her being led along.
And yes this forum would an absolutely perfect host for such a thing, alas no-one has volunteered. Because yeah the format and endless scrolling over there sucks.
All that is needed for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. ~ Edmond Burke.

#23 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 17 September 2010 - 03:22 PM

I don't mind the layout, but I hate the new (within the past month or so) comment editor with a passion.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#24 User is offline   Sanctume 

• Lieutenant
  • Interests:Reading

Posted 12 October 2010 - 04:57 PM

Steven Erikson has posted some answers in the tor.com page.

http://www.tor.com/b...t-asking#134286

This post has been edited by Sanctume: 12 October 2010 - 04:58 PM

#25 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 12 October 2010 - 10:25 PM

And they're awesome. And scary, if I may add.
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#26 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 12 October 2010 - 11:24 PM

Awesome.

I found it very interesting that Tavore is his favorite character.
Spoiler

uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#27 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 13 October 2010 - 10:06 AM

The latter, I think. Spiraling back to her 'What we're going to do will go unwitnessed'-speach back in.. uh.. RG? Also connects to what SE said about looking for echoes of past scenes in tCG.
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]

#28 User is offline   IreneGallo 

• Recruit

Posted 29 October 2010 - 03:06 PM

Hi guys,
Just a quick heads up, Steve and Cam will be answering questions today at 2:30EST. You can stack up questions here:
http://www.tor.com/b...in-conversation
Or stop by in a few hours and ask while we are live. Not sure how long they will run but I suspect they will continue to chime in past the event.

#29 User is offline   Steve Halter 

• Mage

Posted 15 December 2010 - 06:22 PM

ICE's replies to questions are up on the Tor Blog:
ICE's responses

#30 User is offline   Hetan 

• Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • View gallery
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 24 December 2010 - 09:12 AM

There's quite an interesting rant from our favourite author on the latest selection - do read :)
"He was not a modest man. Contemplating suicide, he summoned a dragon". (Gothos' Folly)- Gothos

#31 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 24 December 2010 - 10:18 AM

It's fairly amazing. We often find the brightest light comes from being in the dark for so long. It's fairly amazing that a person would miss the bits and bobs of good emotions (hope) that are so evident as long as you don't lock them out.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#32 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 24 December 2010 - 11:08 AM

'Interesting' is the word that fits best, I think. Really, I can't believe even now some people need to get all this laid out before them in so much detail to finally relax [I'd like to say 'to finally understand', but that'd imply that there's only one true opinion]. Come one, people, there such a thing as over-analyzing as well and it's sad when this keeps one from enjoying the books.

Also, 'must reads', my ass, as if I'd need someone to chew the books' contents for me.

But I'm glad SE chimes in every now and then at the re-read. Though I imagine it can't be all fun to constantly having to tell [certain] people to chill just f*cking read on instead of wasting their time with whatever they're claiming to know without having read more than four books. While this argument is becoming somewhat grinding to read I'm glad for the snippets of reason and insight we get from SE and those readers [thankfully, the majority] that keep brightening my days.

Anyway, thanks to pointing to it, Hetan, just what I needed to start the day :)

This post has been edited by Puck: 24 December 2010 - 11:16 AM

#33 User is offline   Hetan 

• Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • View gallery
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 29 December 2010 - 04:05 PM

*start of rant* From a personal point I am just about getting sick to death with one particular poster on there, pontificating and basically talking through their own arse without having completed the series to date. The speculation on Pust (the read is on Deadhouse Gates currently) at this juncture of the series is just total bollocks and he's just making himself look like a damned fool. There is so much more to Pust than we know at this point.
For me this person is really destroying my whole re-read experience with extravagantly long posts of just pure fucking waffle. Their contribution is zero and is a tasteless distraction. I'm not sure if their own sense of their own self-importance is the issue or just plain arrogant stupidity. I just wish there was a decent moderator on there to tell that person to just chill the fuck out. *end of rant*

I am posting this here because I'm cross :wub:
"He was not a modest man. Contemplating suicide, he summoned a dragon". (Gothos' Folly)- Gothos

#34 User is offline   BridgeBurner 

• High Fist

Posted 29 December 2010 - 05:21 PM

View PostHetan, on 29 December 2010 - 04:05 PM, said:

*start of rant* From a personal point I am just about getting sick to death with one particular poster on there, pontificating and basically talking through their own arse without having completed the series to date. The speculation on Pust (the read is on Deadhouse Gates currently) at this juncture of the series is just total bollocks and he's just making himself look like a damned fool. There is so much more to Pust than we know at this point.
For me this person is really destroying my whole re-read experience with extravagantly long posts of just pure fucking waffle. Their contribution is zero and is a tasteless distraction. I'm not sure if their own sense of their own self-importance is the issue or just plain arrogant stupidity. I just wish there was a decent moderator on there to tell that person to just chill the fuck out. *end of rant*

I am posting this here because I'm cross B)

I'm with you, Hetan. I usually don't read his posts anymore, but the Pust thing stood out to me. (I'm Fiddler, there).

Don't let him spoil it for you. Try and scroll over it, fast... :wub:

#35 User is offline   flea 

• High Fist

Posted 29 December 2010 - 06:12 PM

I sure hope this person is somewhere in his first year of college -- the sheer self-centeredness of the person is breathtaking, and only excusable based on immaturity. He's a variety of drama queen who insists on making himself the center of attention. Normally I would advise skipping the posts, but he sucks in so much attention.

#36 User is offline   Spiridon_Deannis 

• Sergeant

Posted 29 December 2010 - 07:29 PM

View Postflea, on 29 December 2010 - 06:12 PM, said:

I sure hope this person is somewhere in his first year of college -- the sheer self-centeredness of the person is breathtaking, and only excusable based on immaturity. He's a variety of drama queen who insists on making himself the center of attention. Normally I would advise skipping the posts, but he sucks in so much attention.

Are we talking about the same person that posts at ME under the same name ?
If yes, oh boy...

#37 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 29 December 2010 - 08:19 PM

The thing about that specific person is that despite being extremely abrasive and so wrong about so many things that nearly everyone corrects him, the actions of that person have led to some very interesting posts from Erikson. I dislike the tactics, but I don't entirely hate the results. I admire Erikson and the other participants for not losing their shit and being mature enough to respond on the merits and correct when needed. That's exactly the response that should happen.

The impression I get is that this person very frequently has no idea that he is wrong, attempts to apply sophisticated tools of analysis to a self-imposed incomplete picture, extrapolates too much and tries to fancy up his thoughts to the point of losing meaning and comprehension in the reader. Irritating combination.

How to deal with it? Be slow to anger, channel the anger into corrections of the worst errors and try to support those who are participating in the right ways as much as possible.

On the brighter side, this re-read is going to be insanely nice to have as a research compendium or wiki source. Just a great, great communal effort and brilliant project.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#38 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 29 December 2010 - 08:36 PM

View PostSpiridon_Deannis, on 29 December 2010 - 07:29 PM, said:

If yes, oh boy...

..well, who else has been told to chill out already and read on but still doesn't get the message? *sigh*

That's one way to get your name known all over the internet, at least.

#39 User is offline   Spiridon_Deannis 

• Sergeant

Posted 29 December 2010 - 08:57 PM

View PostPuck, on 29 December 2010 - 08:36 PM, said:

View PostSpiridon_Deannis, on 29 December 2010 - 07:29 PM, said:

If yes, oh boy...

That's one way to get your name known all over the internet, at least.

Yep.
Even if it results in being dedicated a voodoo wax doll with lots and lots of needles stuck into it. But notorious you do get...

#40 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 29 December 2010 - 09:34 PM

Ha. I stopped reading the Tor Re-read comments because I couldn't fucking take it anymore.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

Share this topic:

• 25 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users