• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Mule scene! A full quote

#1 User is offline   hmqb 

• The Abyssmal Army's Official Cult Expert and Brainwasher
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 16 June 2010 - 01:58 AM

I feel this quote deserves its own threas, because it is awesomely great. Also it took me 45 minutes to copy it on to this (I'm a slow ass typer).

Iskaral Pust rode like a madman. Unfortunately, the mule beneath him and decided that a plodding walk would suffice, making the two of them a most incongruous pair. The high priest flung himself back and forth, pitched from side to side. His feet kicked high, toes skyward, then lashed back down. Heels pounded insensate flanks in a thumping drum-roll entirely devoid of rythem. Reins flailed about but the mule had chewed trough the bit and so the reins were attached to nothing but two mangled stumps that seemed determined to batter Pust senseless.

He tossed about as if riding a goaded bull. Spraying sweat, lips pulled back in a savage grimace, the whites visible round his bugged-out eyes.

The mule, why, the mule walked. Clump clump (pause) clump (pause) clump clump. And so on.

Swirling just above Iskaral Pust's head, and acrobatically avoiding the bit-ends, flapped the squall of bhokarala. Like oversized gnats, and how that mule's tail whiped back and forth! She sought to swat them away, but in spirit of gnat-hood the bhokarala did not relent, so eager were they to claim the very next plop of dung wending its way out beneath that tail. Over which they'd fight tooth, talon and claw.

Swarming in mule and rider's wake was a river of spiders, flowing glittering black over the cobbles.

At one point three white hounds tramped across the street not twenty paces distant. A trio of immensely ugly heads swung to regard mule and rider. And to show that it meant business, the mule propped up its ears. Clump clump (pause) clump clump clump.

The hounds moved on.

It does no good to molest a mule.

Alas, as Iskaral Pust and his placid mount were moments from discovering, there were indeed forces in the world that could confound both.

And here then, at last, arrives the shining, blazing, astonishing nexus, the penultimate pinnacle of this profound night, as bold Kruppe nudges his ferocious war-mule into the path of one Iskaral Pust, mule, and sundry spiders and bhokarala.

Mule sees mule. Both halt with a bare fifteen paces between them, ears at bristling attention.

Rider sees rider. Magus grows dangerously still, eyes hooded. Kruppe waves one plump hand in greeting.

Bhokarala launch a mid-air conference that results in one beast landing awkwardly on the cobbles to the left of the High Priest, whilst the others find window sills, projections, and the heads of handsome gargoyles on which to perch, chests heaving and tounges lolling.

The spiders run away.

Thus, the tableau is set.

'Out of my way!' screeched Iskaral Pust. 'Who is this fool and how dare he fool wth me? I'll gnash him! I'll crush him down. I'll feint right and dodge left and we'll be by in a flash! Look at that pathetic mule - he'll never catch us! I got a sword to claim. Mine, yes, mine! And then won't Shadowthrone grovel and simper! Iskaral Pust, High priest of Dragnipur! Most feared swordsman in ten thousand worlds! And if you think you've seen justice at its most fickle, you just wait!' He then leaned foreward and smiled. 'Kind sir, could you kindly move yourself and your yon beast to one side? I must keep an appointment, you understand. Hastily, in fact.' Then he hissed, 'Go climb up your own arse, you redvested ball of lard that someone rolled across a forest floor! Go! Scat!'

'Most confounding indeed,' Kruppe replied with his most beatific smile. 'It seems we are in discord, in tat you seek to proceed in a direction that will inevitably colide with none other then Kruppe, the Eel of Darujhistan. Poor priest, it us late. Does your god know where you are?'

'Eel? Kruppe? Collide? Fat and idiot besides, what a dastardly combination, and on this of all nights! Listen, take another street. If I run into this Crappy Eel I'll be sure to let him know you're looking for him. It's the least I can do.'

'Hardly, but no matter. I am Kruppe the Crappy Eel, alas.'

'So fine, we've run into each other. Glad that's over with. Now let me pass!'

'Kruppe regrets that any and every path you may seek shall be impeded by none other then Kruppe himself. Unless, of course, you conclude that what you seek is not worth the effort, nor the grief certain to follow, and so wisely return to thy shadowy temple.'

'You don't know what I want so it's none of your damned buisness what I want!'

'Misapprehensions abound, but wait, does this slavering fool even understand?'

'What? I wasn't supposed to hear that? But I did! I did, you fat idiot!'

'He only thought he heard. Kind priest, Kruppe assures you, you did not hear but mishear. Kind priest? Why, Kruppe is too generous, too forgiving by far, and hear hear! Or is it here here? No matter, it's not as if this grinning toad will understand. Why, his mule's got a sharper look in its eye then he has. Now, kindly priest, it's late and you should be in bd, yes? Abjectly alone, no doubt. Hmm?'

Iskaral Pust stared. He gaped. His eyes darted, alighting on the bhorkaral squatting on the cobbles beside him as it made staring, gaping, darting expressions. 'My worshippers! Of course! You! Yes, you! Gather your kin and attack the fat fool! Attack! Your god commands you! Attack!'

'Mlawhlaoblossblayowblagnilebbinggoblaiblblafblablallblayarblablabnablahblallblah!'

'What?'

'Bla?'

'Bla?'

'Yarb?'

'Bah! You're stuiped and useless and ugly!'

'Blabluablabablahllalalabala, too!'

Iskaral Pust scowled at it.

The bhokaral scowled at it.

'Rat Poison!' Pust hissed. And then smiled.

The bhokaral offered him a dung sausage. And then smiled.
Oh, so much for reasoned negotiation.

Iskaral Pust's warbling battle cry was somewhat strangled as he leaned foreward, perched high in the stirrups, hands reaching like a raptor's talons, and the mule reluctantly stumped foreward.

Kruppe watched this agozizingly slow charge. He sighed. 'Really now. It comes to this? So be it.' And he kicked his war-mule into motion.

The beasts closed, step by step. By step.

Iskaral Pust clawed the air, weaving and pitching, head bobbing. Overhead, the bhokarala screamed and flew in frenzied circles. The High Priest's mule flicked its tail.

Kruppe's war-mule edged to the right. Pust's beast angled to its right. Their hands came alongside, and then thier shoulders. Whereupon they halted.

Snarling and spitting, Iskaral Pust launched himsef at Kruppe, who grunted a sprised oof! Fsts flew, thumbs jabbed, jaws snapped - the High Priest's crazed attack - and the Eel threw up his forearms to fend it off, only to inadvertently punch Pust in the nose with one pudgy hand. Head rocked back, a stunned gasp. Attack renewed.

They grappeled. They toppled, thumping on to the cobbles in a flurry of limbs.

The bhokarala joined in, diving from above with screeches and snarls, swarming the two combatants before beginning to fight with each other. Fists flying, thumbs jabbing, jaws snapping. Spiders swept in from all sides, tiny fangs nipping everything in sight.

The entire mass writhed and seethed.

The two mules walked a short distance away, then turned in unison to watch the proceesings.

Best leave the egregious scene for now.

Honest.

Edit: some small errors

This post has been edited by High Mage Quick Ben: 16 June 2010 - 02:00 AM

-

#2 User is offline   Silk 

• Master of the Decks -- Spinning round and Round
  • Group: Bridgeburner

Posted 16 June 2010 - 12:00 PM

The two mules have something about them..... I think that they are two sides of the same coin..... or in other terms the MD to FL of Warmules..... Long live teh War Mules ;o)))

#3 User is offline   Garak 

• Emperor
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:40k, Star Wars, Babylon 5, WW2, A Song of Ice and Fire, the Drenai series, the Riftwar and all that followed it, D&D, Vikings, the Malazan Book of the Fallen. I think you get the gist of it.

Posted 16 June 2010 - 12:45 PM

'Mlawhlaoblossblayowblagnilebbinggoblaiblblafblablallblayarblablabnablahblallblah!'

Did you copy that letter for letter from the book?

This scene was great - especially since it lightened the mood a bit.
The meaning of life is BOOM!!!

#4 User is offline   Ulrik 

• Highest Marshall of Mott Irregulars
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 16 June 2010 - 02:58 PM

Its probably the most epic cavalry charge in history of fantasy. Against warmules, even Rohan simply fails.
Adept Ulrik - Highest Marshall of Quick Ben's Irregulars
Being optimistic´s worthless if it means ignoring the suffering of this world. Worse than worthless. It´s bloody evil.
- Fiddler

#5 User is offline   haroos 

• High Fist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 16 June 2010 - 03:21 PM

Silk, on 16 June 2010 - 12:00 PM, said:

The two mules have something about them..... I think that they are two sides of the same coin..... or in other terms the MD to FL of Warmules..... Long live teh War Mules ;o)))

i think the mules are part of k'rul's.
it was pust's mule that shielded the ship from the meteors in BH.
and supposedly the mule shielded kruppe from caladan's hammer.

#6 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 16 June 2010 - 04:03 PM

The Lost Pages of the Malazan Book of the Fallen:

1157th year of Burn's Sleep

The assassin and the mage squated behind a boulder, sweat covering them and not only from the heat. The abandoned quarry echoed with the noise of their nervous fidgeting behind the rock.
'Come on, Quick, get on with it already"
"Don't push it, Mekhar," Quick used a sleeve to wipe his brow. "What I'm about to do... I don't know."
Kalam looked over the top of the boulder, the Ottataral lying on the steel plate had begun making an unsettling crackling sound. The furnace it was lying on was quickly making the metal grow an angry red.
"You know how much trouble I went through to get that much Ottataral, Wizard? I didn't just have to bribe half the city council, the guards and that fat workman.. Blood was spilled. For this. For your crazy ideas. Hood balls, we still don't know if it works.
"Yes, yes," Quick made a dismissing gesture" But if it works. The war..."
"Then do it!"
Quick suddenly jumped up screaming "UNLEASH THE SEVEN WITHIN ME!"

Kalam awoke lying on his stomach. Everything hurt, it felt as though he'd been slapped by a giants hand. He rolled over on his back and looked around. He wasn't in the quarry any longer. He'd been thrown clear over the the top of the side.
Now he was crawling to the edge to peer into the quarry. His ears were ringing, his head was spinning and he felt wet blood trickling from his nose and ears. The stonequarry seemed to have doubled in size. The old, rich stone melted to glas, still radiating heat. Steam was rising in waves and there, fading in and out of view close to the center, was Quick, his telaba torn to rags, starring at something. How long had he been out? How long had the crazy mage been standing down there?
Kalam made his way down the hot glass, burning himself where the fabric of his clothes had been torn. He scrambled to the mages side and grabbed his shoulder.
"Quick, what the hell happened. What are you doing down here?"
The mage didn't respond, just pointed to the center. Now Kalam saw what the mage had been starring at, a mule. The strangest mule he'd ever seen. It was standing besides an expensive looking tent, it's sides firmly anchored in the fabric of the hot glass. A tall wooden table for two had been placed, ornatly carved, with matching chairs pulled out, as if someone was expecting the two Bridgeburners.
"Quick, snap out of it, damn it!" Kalam shook the mages wiry frame. Slowly, as coming out of a trance, or more likely shock, the mage opened his mouth.
"Kalam, I didn't know!" Quicks eyes were wide with a mix of fear and giddy exilleration. "I never realised. Who could have known! Not even the gods, Kalam. Look what it did, Kalam, it's been working ever since,... I never... Oh, there were warnings. Vague suggestions of where it came from. But this... this is beyond any of us. Beyond the gods. Beyond the Azath!
Cold fear ran down Kalams spine. Looking from the mule to the mage, eyes widening now as the mule turned towards them. Swallowing and finding his throat dry, Kalam spoke with a shaky voice.
"What is it doing?"
"It... It's making tea!"

#7 User is offline   hmqb 

Posted 16 June 2010 - 04:49 PM

I copied it letter for letter
-

#8 User is offline   Silk 

Posted 17 June 2010 - 10:07 AM

That was amazing.... maybe Quick has a war mule as a shaved knuckle for later ;o)

#9 User is offline   Leanoric 

• Sergeant

Posted 17 June 2010 - 11:40 AM

Ahh, I thought you were actually going to reveal the *real* ending of the MBotF then...

We know Quick Ben is a soletaken *something*. In fact, he is a d'ivers! And his d'ivers form? Multiple war mules! In fact, Kruppe's mule and Pust's mule are actually two incarnations of Quick Ben's d'ivers and he has been using them to control events for the entire series. In the final, climactic battle, Quick Ben changes into his war mules form, kicks much butt, and then the Crippled God rides him back to his home dimension. And they all live happily every after.

True story.

#10 User is offline   hmqb 

Posted 17 June 2010 - 11:13 PM

What? did you even watch the movie? You forgot the old mailman and the sassy blacklady. At no point did you talk about the dogs either, whats with that!
-

#11 User is offline   ShadowRaven 

• Lieutenant

Posted 21 June 2010 - 12:11 PM

haroos, on 16 June 2010 - 03:21 PM, said:

Silk, on 16 June 2010 - 12:00 PM, said:

i think the mules are part of k'rul's.
it was pust's mule that shielded the ship from the meteors in BH.
and supposedly the mule shielded kruppe from caladan's hammer.

Call me crazy, but somehow I've been getting the feeling throughout the series that when we see Pust and the mule together in the same scene most of the time Pust is actually the mule and what we see as Pust is just an illusion (he could well pull it off, for example remember when he totally tricks Dejim Nebrahl into thinking that he ate Pust?). Not sure about the same applying for Kruppe though :D

#12 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 21 June 2010 - 02:14 PM

High Mage Quick Ben, on 16 June 2010 - 01:58 AM, said:

... At one point three white hounds tramped across the street not twenty paces distant. A trio of immensely ugly heads swung to regard mule and rider. And to show that it meant business, the mule propped up its ears. ...

The hounds moved on.

It does no good to molest a mule.

THIS = my favourite part of that. Those Hounds were perfectly happy attacking KARSA.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#13 User is offline   Silk 

Posted 24 June 2010 - 11:13 AM

So ..... we have the hounds of the various warrens (alledgedly).... and they fear the mules..... so mayhap the mules be the pre-eminent force in the Malazan universe.... or the real multi headed face of the D'ivers One God ...... and the gods and ascendants are just being allowed to play by them....

#14 User is offline   hmqb 

Posted 24 June 2010 - 06:37 PM

It most likely means the hounds have better things to do then attack a mule, but good theory.
-

#15 User is offline   Drayfield 

• Recruit
  • Interests:Reading nice things happening to nice people and generally having nice times.

Posted 26 June 2010 - 11:07 PM

I just had a nightmarish vision of a mule veering in to a much larger, angrier mule.

#16 User is offline   kurono 

• Recruit

Posted 27 June 2010 - 12:55 AM

This scene is one of the few that has actually made me laugh in this series.

#17 User is offline   Geoffray 

• Rory "The bloody last Centurion" Williams

Posted 27 June 2010 - 04:57 PM

Ulrik, on 16 June 2010 - 02:58 PM, said:

Its probably the most epic cavalry charge in history of fantasy. Against warmules, even Rohan simply fails.

QFT.

This sequence: epicness in all his aspect
Sorry for my english ;), I'm french :P

I've came with a message and a question. A message from The Doctor and a question from me. Where Is My Wife?!

Rory "God himself" Williams

#18 User is offline   Iconik 

• Lieutenant

Posted 25 July 2010 - 04:16 PM

For years I said one of the things I wanted most was an Iskaral and Kruppe conversation. I got one. Boooooy oh boy did I get one.

#19 User is offline   Rooster 

• Corporal

Posted 29 July 2010 - 07:49 PM

I get the impression Pust's mule is an illusion. It does change sex at one point.

#20 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 29 July 2010 - 08:10 PM

Don't we all, don't we all.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users