• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Stonewielder Synopsis Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 07 June 2010 - 12:05 PM

Don't know if it's been posted yet, if not here it is...

Greymane believed he'd outrun his past. He now ran a school for swordsmanship in Falar and was looking forward to becoming fat and lazy. With him was Kyle, though the plains youth was not quite so contented with civilian life outside the mercenary company the Crimson Guard. Yet it is not so easy to disappear when you are an ex-Fist of the Malazan Empire, especially one denounced and under a death-sentence from that very Empire.

For there is a new Emperor on the throne of Malaz, and his thoughts turn to the lingering drain of blood and treasure that is the failed invasion of the Korel subcontinent. In the record vaults beneath Unta, the Imperial capital, lie the answers to that disaster. And out of this buried history surfaces the name Stonewielder.

In Korel, Lord Protector Hiam, commander of the Stormguard, faces the potential annihilation of all that he loves as with the blood of his few remaining men and a crumbling stone wall that has seen better days, he labours to stave off the sea-borne Stormriders who would destroy his lands.

Meanwhile, religious war has broken out all across these lands as the local cult of the Blessed Lady, who has stood firm for millennia against the assaults of the Stormriders, seeks to stamp out all rivals; a champion refuses to stand against the alien 'Riders' and takes up arms in rebellion; and a local magistrate innocently pursuing the mystery of a series of murders is brought to the very heart of a far larger and far more terrifying ancient crime that has stained the entire subcontinent.

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#2 User is offline   HiddenOne 

• Mortal Sword
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 07 June 2010 - 12:16 PM

Where did this come from? IS it official?
HiddenOne. You son of a bitch. You slimy, skulking, low-posting scumbag. You knew it would come to this. Roundabout, maybe. Tortuous, certainly. But here we are, you and me again. I started the train on you so many many hours ago, and now I'm going to finish it. Die HO. Die. This is for last time, and this is for this game too. This is for all the people who died to your backstabbing, treacherous, "I sure don't know what's going on around here" filthy lying, deceitful ways. You son of a bitch. Whatever happens, this is justice. For me, this is justice. Vote HiddenOne Finally, I am at peace.

#3 User is offline   Sindriss 

• Walker of Edges
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 07 June 2010 - 12:24 PM

Wow, sounds great if it is true. I am guessing the champion is the bodyguard who was in Dassems sword. Cannot recall name at the moment. Looking forwards to seeing more of the stormriders

I would like to know if Steve have ever tasted anything like the quorl white milk, that knocked the bb's out.

A: Nope, but I gots me a good imagination.

#4 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 07 June 2010 - 12:30 PM

The Champion is obviously Ironbars.

Very interesting synopsis. Lets hope that Esslemont manages to balance the storylines better and make the story less of a mess and more coherent.

By the way, it might be a good idea to put a big spoiler warning in the title. The mention of the new emperor is an important event.

#5 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe

Posted 07 June 2010 - 12:30 PM

View PostHiddenOne, on 07 June 2010 - 12:16 PM, said:

Where did this come from? IS it official?

came from http://store.pspubli...ing_titles.html so imagine that it is real!

Cant wait!

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#6 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 07 June 2010 - 12:31 PM

I hope this was written by some stupid publisher or something rather than ICE. Was looking forward to becoming "fat and lazy?" Come on, that just sounds retarded.
uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#7 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 07 June 2010 - 01:48 PM

View Postchampooon, on 07 June 2010 - 12:05 PM, said:

Nope, thanx muchly! very neat.

View PostAptorian, on 07 June 2010 - 12:30 PM, said:

I so hope so. I'd like to see his storyline tied tighter to the rest of the book this time.

View PostDefiance, on 07 June 2010 - 12:31 PM, said:

I hope this was written by some stupid publisher or something rather than ICE. Was looking forward to becoming "fat and lazy?" Come on, that just sounds retarded.

Keeper. And Stonny. And Murillio. And Apsalar. And Crust. And Circlebreaker. And Kalam. And Barathol. And Picker. And Blend. And Antsy. And Mallet. And...

- Abyss, ...wishes he had time and money to become fat and lazy...
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#8 User is offline   Ulrik 

• Highest Marshall of Mott Irregulars

Posted 07 June 2010 - 01:55 PM

(Selfcensored for clear stupidity of post...and apology to those, who knows)

But yeah, Im looking forward to new look on Korel, hope in return of Iron Bars and of course our new emperor...:D

This post has been edited by Ulrik: 14 July 2010 - 02:19 PM

Adept Ulrik - Highest Marshall of Quick Ben's Irregulars
Being optimistic´s worthless if it means ignoring the suffering of this world. Worse than worthless. It´s bloody evil.
- Fiddler

#9 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 07 June 2010 - 02:06 PM

It would be awesome if Kyle ran into Crokus. It would be an epic battle of annoying young fantasy clichés.

#10 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 07 June 2010 - 03:00 PM

Hey, Crokus came around!
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#11 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 07 June 2010 - 03:58 PM

View PostAptorian, on 07 June 2010 - 02:06 PM, said:

It would be awesome if Kyle ran into Crokus. It would be an epic battle of annoying young fantasy clichés.

Not really...

KYLE: This sword used to belong to Osserc himself!
CROCKUS: This blade used to belong to me. *stabs Kyle through the head, heart and both lungs before Kyle takes a step. leaves the blade stuck in.* You can keep it.

But facetiousness aside, I suspect ICE will repair Kyle somewhat from his ignorant/angsty farmboy roots. Certainly some time spent training with Greymane can't hurt.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#12 User is offline   Ulrik 

• Highest Marshall of Mott Irregulars

Posted 07 June 2010 - 05:44 PM

I must admit that Crokus/ Cutter in TtH looked fine to me, so Im not on hateful wave:)

ICE IMO understands that this style of "hero" is totally outdated and awesomely annoying...

...or Greymane will begin to whine...
Adept Ulrik - Highest Marshall of Quick Ben's Irregulars
Being optimistic´s worthless if it means ignoring the suffering of this world. Worse than worthless. It´s bloody evil.
- Fiddler

#13 User is offline   Jonny 

• Recruit

Posted 07 June 2010 - 06:39 PM

Sounds great, now to find £99 to preorder the limited edition..
"As for the game, I surrender consumed by hopelessness. Kruppe, I now believe, will never play his card, thus leaving us trapped in the unlikely world of his recollections and reminiscences, potentially for ever."

#14 User is offline   Sindriss 

• Walker of Edges

Posted 07 June 2010 - 09:01 PM

View PostAptorian, on 07 June 2010 - 12:30 PM, said:

Very interesting synopsis. Lets hope that Esslemont manages to balance the storylines better and make the story less of a mess and more coherent.

By the way, it might be a good idea to put a big spoiler warning in the title. The mention of the new emperor is an important event.

Meanwhile, religious war has broken out all across these lands as the local cult of the Blessed Lady, who has stood firm for millennia against the assaults of the Stormriders, seeks to stamp out all rivals; a champion refuses to stand against the alien 'Riders' and takes up arms in rebellion; and a local magistrate innocently pursuing the mystery of a series of murders is brought to the very heart of a far larger and far more terrifying ancient crime that has stained the entire subcontinent.

Hmm, you might be right of course Apt. But, does the lands of the stormriders belong to the malazan empire? And if a champion refuses to stand against the riders, and instead takes arms in rebillion, does that not imply that he belonged to the empire in the first place? In which case it would not be Ironbars as he has never been a champion of the empire.

I am not saying it cannot be Ironsbars, just that I am not as certain as you are.

I would like to know if Steve have ever tasted anything like the quorl white milk, that knocked the bb's out.

A: Nope, but I gots me a good imagination.

#15 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 07 June 2010 - 09:08 PM

I don't think they're using champion as an official title. I think they just mean someone who champions a cause.

#16 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 07 June 2010 - 09:49 PM

The Stormwall is as far as I recall not a part of the empire. It is a part of Korelri, which has not bowed to the Empire yet. What more, I don't think the Stormwall is specifically connected with any nation. I think it is a self contained entity working of trade taxing and pressganging people to fight on the wall.

#17 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 07 June 2010 - 09:49 PM

Calling all the dudes stuck on the Stormwall 'champions' to make them sound less slavey and more volunteery.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#18 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 07 June 2010 - 10:51 PM

what a delicious (if slightly amateurish) synopsis! really looks like we're diving into the who and whats of korel in this book! also, i think mallick rel is gonna pull a fast one and reinstate greymane to lead the re-invasion. that's if greymane is in fact the 'stonewielder' this book is named for. if not, well well, all the more to look forward to
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#19 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 08 June 2010 - 03:34 AM

A "champion" refusing to fight against the Riders would have to either be a chained slave-fighter on the platforms or a Korelri who volunteered for the Wall. Iron Bars would indeed be a great choice for that considering the set up from RotCG but the wording makes it sound more like a Korelri. I'll just attribute the wording to the publisher though.

And no one's even mentioned yet that

and a local magistrate innocently pursuing the mystery of a series of murders is brought to the very heart of a far larger and far more terrifying ancient crime that has stained the entire subcontinent
almost definitely means awesome new info about The Fall/The Circle/Kallor!

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#20 User is offline   blackzoid 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 08 June 2010 - 09:40 AM

No, what I'm guessing is that the ancient crime is the fact that the Riders were driven from the area around Korel in the ancient past (by the forbears of the Koreli) and now their situation will be delt with.
Night of Knives strongly implied that the Riders are not strictly evil beings. Greymane in RoTCG was friendly with them as well.

The Cripplied God/Kallor storyline happened on Jacuruku, not Korel.

I'm expecting good things from this book. Most of the characters will not be ones first shown before in any Erikson novel and so ICE will be freed of the direct comparison's that hurt RoTCG. He can do his own thing.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users