• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Snake Clarification requested Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Football

Posted 04 October 2010 - 07:56 AM

"Eliminating those who cause imbalance" is different from restoring balance in that it is proactive, rather than reactive, in the essence that ANYONE can cause imbalance. A pre-emptive strike, in other words.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#22 User is offline   The Seguleh 46th 

• High Fist

Posted 04 October 2010 - 03:13 PM

View Postworrywort, on 18 August 2010 - 09:13 PM, said:

That makes sense. But what if the TL are in hiding and that's why they never seem to leave their warren, and they just disguise it in haughty arrogance. They may not be decimated, but they may have taken a bigger beating in the Just Wars than they'd like to admit. In other words, I wouldn't be surprised if they were seeking out FL out of panic rather than religious crisis. I guess I think they've been presented pretty one-dimensionally so far (on purpose) and there's something more to their story. And at this point, the FA are bound to push their buttons as much as the TA would. Basically, I think they're in panic mode, and I want to know why.

I really like this theory above. Never really thought of it in this vein, as i tended to take their arrogance at face value throughout the series, but this makes alot of sense on many levels. Jorrude in particular doesn't seem to sell himself as a "white knight" (both figuratively and literally) when i think back on his scenes now. He does seem quietly frightened, and while i thought of it at the time as merely being in a foreign realm (Wu), what Worrywort says has made me rethink this.

Anyways, lots of great theories here! And i agree with H.D above as well. I personally am not sure what the FA want to do. I'm thinking they don't even really know, as maybe their millenia-long mission has gotten skewed somehow. Restore balance? With what? Chaos? Even Chaos needs balance, and they have to realize that. I think it might be as simple as a New World Order/Third Reich type thing going on? They want to be the only ones alive in the end? Pure race ideology and all that? Either way, i can't wait to read! :)

This post has been edited by The Seguleh 46th: 04 October 2010 - 03:16 PM

#23 User is offline   Meese 

• Krupps Kitten

Posted 09 October 2010 - 09:39 PM

Much of this was discussed in a different thread - sorry to raise it again but I have pondered for a while. One thing we have left out is The Shake. Why is SE so intent on bringing this story thread out so much in DOD? I mean they get from the river Lether to the capital of Dark in a few chapters all set up for t CG with the Queen of HHDark there, a Husk sword and an FA Killer (the watch)all ready. Because in tCG FA and/or TL are at the light sea boundry thing between KG and KL assailing Dark. And only the Watch and Twilight, Withal and QHHD there to defend.

Mother Dark is awake and presumably near by - if the FA or TL or both could steel MD's power with the Crippled Gods heart they would be invincible. Two fronts Kolense and Karnasas (sorry a bottle of red in so far so cant remember how to spell it - but you know what I mean).

FA want every body else dead. A clean sweep. restore balance. start again. The final solution.
Now, ain't that just fine.

#24 User is offline   Thel Akai 

• Corporal

Posted 10 October 2010 - 11:39 AM

I started reading this thread because I couldn't remember hearing about any Snake before. Then it dawned on me after reading some posts: It's about Dust of Dreams. It's been a while since I read it, but lately (after reading TROTCG and getting into the universe again) I've tried to think about what happened in DoD. I soon realized that 95% of what I thought came from DoD actually happened in Toll the Hounds. I must conclude that there's something different about DoD compared to the other books - it hasn't stuck with me. And now that this thread reminded me about the Snake, and some other bits -- I don't feel that it fits in, and it's not very engaging.

I can only hope that the next book gets up to the great level of the earlier books, which is very high indeed.

This post has been edited by Thel Akai: 10 October 2010 - 11:39 AM

#25 User is offline   Otataral Toblakai 

• Fist

Posted 30 October 2010 - 11:20 PM

Icarium's army.. Hopefully.. With Badalle as Icarium's Destriant..
Disclaimer: The Toblakai in my nick is in no way Karsa but the spawn of a Thelomen Toblakai and the Otataral Dragon.
Disclaimer to the disclaimer: Thinks about his signature and wonders how on earth would a Toblakai and the Otataral Dragon...create offspring?

#26 User is offline   Roldom 

• Great Wizzard of High House Naughtiness

Posted 01 November 2010 - 05:17 PM

it would be anarmyof children, hardly dangerous,and what the hell does icarium need an army? his practicly an apocalypse on his own,
I did not like the catfish... - Karsa Orlong

The best detox is retox - drunken co-worker

#27 User is offline   Ulrik 

• Highest Marshall of Mott Irregulars
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 01 November 2010 - 05:23 PM

After reread...am I right, that Badalle uses Iccy´s new "sonic" warren?
Adept Ulrik - Highest Marshall of Quick Ben's Irregulars
Being optimistic´s worthless if it means ignoring the suffering of this world. Worse than worthless. It´s bloody evil.
- Fiddler

#28 User is offline   The Seguleh 46th 

• High Fist

Posted 01 November 2010 - 09:19 PM

View PostUlrik, on 01 November 2010 - 05:23 PM, said:

Huh! I think you are right. I was always thinking Mockra, but it keep referring specifically to sounds if i have the right of it. What are Iccy's new warrens anyways, element-wise or aspect-wise (not sure if i worded that right....)?

#29 User is offline   Ulrik 

• Highest Marshall of Mott Irregulars

Posted 01 November 2010 - 10:15 PM

View PostThe Seguleh 46th, on 01 November 2010 - 09:19 PM, said:

View PostUlrik, on 01 November 2010 - 05:23 PM, said:

Huh! I think you are right. I was always thinking Mockra, but it keep referring specifically to sounds if i have the right of it. What are Iccy's new warrens anyways, element-wise or aspect-wise (not sure if i worded that right....)?

Hard to say...

Sinn uses Fire, Grub probably Earth...Badalle I bet on sound, Feather Witch tells in final fight to Icarium: "Root and Blueiron Lifestealer. Ice Haunt is not enough. You must awaken the warrens within you. Root to the rock and earth. Blueiron to hold life in your machines."  And then Badalle´s poem and all those thoughts about children and warrens.
Adept Ulrik - Highest Marshall of Quick Ben's Irregulars
Being optimistic´s worthless if it means ignoring the suffering of this world. Worse than worthless. It´s bloody evil.
- Fiddler

#30 User is offline   ShadowRaven 

• Lieutenant

Posted 02 November 2010 - 12:01 AM

View PostUlrik, on 01 November 2010 - 10:15 PM, said:

Sinn uses Fire, Grub probably Earth...Badalle I bet on sound, Feather Witch tells in final fight to Icarium: "Root and Blueiron Lifestealer. Ice Haunt is not enough. You must awaken the warrens within you. Root to the rock and earth. Blueiron to hold life in your machines." And then Badalle´s poem and all those thoughts about children and warrens.

I'm not sure if I understand it correctly, but according to this excerpt (middle of page 44), Grub might also use Mockra or whatever is the new Iccy equivalent of it.

#31 User is offline   Bauchelain the Evil 

• Greatest necromancer ever
  • Not much

Posted 02 November 2010 - 09:22 AM

I doubt it. Seeing how he stops Sinn's fireball with earth and roots and then takes a Skykeep with a tree of stone he probably uses either Tennes or Icarium's new Warren, Root.
Adept of Team Quick Ben

I greet you as guests and so will not crush the life from you and devour your soul with peals of laughter. No, instead, I will make tea-Gothos

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users