Top 5 fantasy characters

#41 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 14 May 2010 - 02:52 PM

Gothos, on 14 May 2010 - 12:56 PM, said:

Puck, on 13 May 2010 - 11:24 PM, said:

Gothos, on 10 May 2010 - 07:25 AM, said:

Regis from the Witcher series. And the Witcher himself. And emperor Emhyr. And Jaskier the bard. And Yennefer the sorc. And... gorram, the whole cast. Well, maybe excluding Angouleme, but yeah...

Agreed in every point up to excluding Angouleme [that's the original spelling? I only know her as Angulema in Russian]. I'm also very fond of the HERBALIST who travels with Geralt for some time as well as the black knight who's name I have no clue how to spell..

dude, spoilers!
Black Knight, actually a Nilfgaard intelligence officer, Cahir.

Says the one who blurts out spoilers himself :) Anyway, sorry, I edited my earlier post :) And thanks, yeah, that's the name, as I said, i didn't know how his name's written in non-cyrillic letters.
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#42 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 14 May 2010 - 04:03 PM

Alright, top 5 female characters:

Polgara (hehe, just kidding)

Soulcatcher/Lady - Black Company (too hard to choose)

Granny Weatherwax - Discworld

Mara of the Acoma - Empire Trilogy (Feist/Wurts)

Renie - Otherland

Morgaine - Mists of Avalon
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#43 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 14 May 2010 - 07:14 PM

Top 5 ladies (non-MBotF style):

Vin of Mistborn

Vi of The Night Angel trilogy

Soulcatcher of The Black Company

Karin Murphy of the Dresden Files

Kitai of The Codex Alera
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#44 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 14 May 2010 - 10:48 PM

also, how the HELL could I ever forget Croaker? bloody hell.

Yeah, Croaker, Goblin, Silent, One-Eye, Elmo, and even Murgen are right up there in my favorite characters list. I wish Silent had traveled south with the Company :)

#45 User is offline   LadyMTL 

• Epic bookworm

Posted 15 May 2010 - 12:27 AM

Hm...it's quite difficult to just choose 5 but if I have to:

- Ganoes Paran
- Quick Ben
- Tuon, from WoT. Yes, she's a haughty b*tch but that's partly why I like her
- Jaime Lannister. I hated his pretty-ass at first but he sort of grew on me, I guess losing a hand can do wonderful things for a man's character, :)
- Saruman, from LOTR. Soooo deliciously evil and Christopher Lee portrayed him so well in the movies that I love him even more now
~ Denn die Toten reiten schnell. (Lenore)

#46 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 15 May 2010 - 05:14 PM

Whisper, on 14 May 2010 - 10:48 PM, said:

Yeah, Croaker, Goblin, Silent, One-Eye, Elmo, and even Murgen are right up there in my favorite characters list. I wish Silent had traveled south with the Company :)

Man, the Black Company series is replete with great characters. Murgen is a personal fave. And I loved the trio from Trogo Tagios: Cordy Mather, Willow Swan, and Blade. I even enjoyed Mogaba in the role he played.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#47 User is offline   Dolorous Menhir 

• God
  • Group: Wiki Contributor

Posted 16 May 2010 - 04:07 PM

Patera Silk
Nynaeve
Gully Foyle

#48 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 16 May 2010 - 07:58 PM

Dolorous Menhir, on 16 May 2010 - 04:07 PM, said:

Patera Silk

Oh my yes. +Rep.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#49 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 16 May 2010 - 08:55 PM

You say it :)
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#50 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 16 May 2010 - 08:59 PM

Dolorous Menhir, on 16 May 2010 - 04:07 PM, said:

Patera Silk
Nynaeve
Gully Foyle

Really? I'm genuinely surprised. And a little worried I've forgotten you talking about her before.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#51 User is offline   Gabriele 

• High Fist
  • Interests:History, Archaeology, Photogrpahy, Writing, Opera, Traveling, Riding, Languages

Posted 31 May 2010 - 03:20 AM

Faramir (book version!)
Anomander Rake
Derfel Cadarn
Damien Vryce
Alaric Morgan

And I'll let you guess where the last three come from. :rofl:

#52 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 31 May 2010 - 09:47 AM

Salt-Man Z, on 15 May 2010 - 05:14 PM, said:

Yeah, Croaker, Goblin, Silent, One-Eye, Elmo, and even Murgen are right up there in my favorite characters list. I wish Silent had traveled south with the Company :o

Man, the Black Company series is replete with great characters. Murgen is a personal fave. And I loved the trio from Trogo Tagios: Cordy Mather, Willow Swan, and Blade. I even enjoyed Mogaba in the role he played.

Yeah, though it's a bit of a shame that the first book doesn't do that much of fleshing out. The characters only really start from book 2 onwards. The series is studded with great characters, and a sense of humor dryer than the Dry Valleys of Antarctica.
Spoiler

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#53 User is offline   Bauchelain the Evil 

• Greatest necromancer ever
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Not much

Posted 31 May 2010 - 04:25 PM

Gabriele, on 31 May 2010 - 03:20 AM, said:

Faramir (book version!)
Anomander Rake
Derfel Cadarn
Damien Vryce
Alaric Morgan

And I'll let you guess where the last three come from. :o

Derfel Cadarn is the narrator in Bernard Cornwell's take on the Arthurian legend which I loved. No idea on the other two.
Adept of Team Quick Ben

I greet you as guests and so will not crush the life from you and devour your soul with peals of laughter. No, instead, I will make tea-Gothos

#54 User is offline   Chance 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 31 May 2010 - 07:34 PM

Bauchelain the Evil, on 31 May 2010 - 04:25 PM, said:

Faramir (book version!)
Anomander Rake
Derfel Cadarn
Damien Vryce
Alaric Morgan

And I'll let you guess where the last three come from. :o

Derfel Cadarn is the narrator in Bernard Cornwell's take on the Arthurian legend which I loved. No idea on the other two.

Damien is from the coldfire trilogy...not a bad choice btw :p

Five is just too few however, here are some favorits...

Sandman the Endless, from Gaimans Sandman series
Jant, from the Steph Swainstons Year of our war etc...
Inquisitor Glocta, from Abercrombie
Elric, Moorcocks Elric series
Doyle, Tim Powers Anubis Gate

But then a multitude of characters could be mentionen Kalam and a lot of the Malazan pantheon of characters (thought they are somewhat out of favor currently why is DoD so hard to re-read :D), Harry Dresden, Prince Maxian from Shadow of Arrarat and lots of others mentionened before.

/Chance...

This post has been edited by Chance: 31 May 2010 - 07:36 PM

#55 User is offline   Gabriele 

• High Fist
  • Interests:History, Archaeology, Photogrpahy, Writing, Opera, Traveling, Riding, Languages

Posted 31 May 2010 - 08:41 PM

Chance, on 31 May 2010 - 07:34 PM, said:

Bauchelain the Evil, on 31 May 2010 - 04:25 PM, said:

Faramir (book version!)
Anomander Rake
Derfel Cadarn
Damien Vryce
Alaric Morgan

And I'll let you guess where the last three come from. :p

Damien is from the coldfire trilogy...not a bad choice btw :D

Both correct. Derfel is from my favourite take on the Arthurian legend, Cornwell's Warlord trilogy, and Damien if from C. S. Friedman's Coldfire books. Cornwell has been a favourite author of mine for some time, but Friedman is a more recent discovery. Looks like I'll order her backlist, too. :p And I'm waiting for the third book of the Magister trilogy.

Alaric Morgan is an old acquaintance. :D He's from Katherine Kurtz' Deryni series, namely the books about King Kelson.

Five is just too few however, here are some favorits...

Sandman the Endless, from Gaimans Sandman series
Jant, from the Steph Swainstons Year of our war etc...
Inquisitor Glocta, from Abercrombie
Elric, Moorcocks Elric series
Doyle, Tim Powers Anubis Gate

But then a multitude of characters could be mentionen Kalam and a lot of the Malazan pantheon of characters (thought they are somewhat out of favor currently why is DoD so hard to re-read :D), Harry Dresden, Prince Maxian from Shadow of Arrarat and lots of others mentionened before.

/Chance...

Five is definitely not enough. I could name Athos aka Comte de la Fère (again, book version, none of the movies did him justice), a few more Malazan characters (Coltaine, Ganoes Paran, Duiker), Andrej Bolkonsky from War and Peace, Lord Evandale from Tale of Old Mortality ... heh, even some not so nice guys can be fascinating, like Gerald Tarrant or Jaime Lannister. :p

And there's my own characters. :D I clearly have two favourites, Roderic de Sinclaire from Kings and Rebels, and Arminius from A Land Unconquered. It would be interesting to see whom readers pick, should I ever finish the damn things and get them published. :o

#56 User is offline   Sinon 

• Recruit

Posted 28 August 2010 - 07:15 AM

I cant say I can decide on a top 5 but i am guessing all of them are already named here so I would like to throw an honorable mention to

Garet Jax

from The Wishsong of Shannara for being the pinnacle of badass to me when I was 11 or 12.
Along the way a woman drove me to drink and I have not yet stopped to thank her.

#57 User is offline   CrossSide 

• Recruit

Posted 15 November 2010 - 08:40 PM

Kruppe (MBotF)
FitzChevalric (Farseer thrilogy)
Tyrion Lannister (A song of..)
Jon Snow (A song of..)

I leave one space, I can't choose :D

#58 User is offline   Alrin 

• Sergeant

Posted 22 November 2010 - 11:43 PM

I'll leave off my fave Malazan character (Kallor, for those interested) and concentrate on those by other authors.

Hari Michaelson/Caine (Acts of Caine)
Steerpike (Gormenghast)
Roland Deschain (Dark Tower)
The Weaver (Perdido Street Station)
Drasek Riven (Erevis Cale) - Wait, did he just include a Forgotten Realms character in that list? Yes. Yes he did.

Honourable mentions include: Arithon s'Ffalenn (Wars of Light and Shadow), Gray Mouser (Lankhmar), John Uskglass (Strange and Norrell), Jack Sawyer (Talisman/Black House), Dakeyras/Waylander (Drenai) ...
Further honourable mentions include: Severian (New Sun), Jaime Lannister (Ice and Fire), Ysk/Brother/Achmed (Symphony of Ages), Iyokus (Prince of Nothing), Glotka (First Law) ...
Still further honourable mentions, now including new characters from previously mentioned works: Jieret s'Valerient (Light & Shadow), Tenaka Khan (Drenai), Cnaiür urs Skiötha (Prince of Nothing), Ma'elKoth/Tan'elKoth (Caine), Jake Chambers (Dark Tower) ...
And yet further still... okay, I'll stop.
"Fuck epiphanies and denouement. Just clobber the structural confines and ramble all over the page."
— Steven Erikson (2008)

#59 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 23 November 2010 - 12:25 AM

So hard to narrow down to five, so i cheated a bit and tried not to repeat for any given series...

Five Fave Male characters in Fantasy Lit

Fiddler - SE's MBF. He's come a long long way...

Caine - Stover's Acts of Caine series.

Gerald Tarrant - CS Friedman's Coldfire Trilogy.

Harry Dresden - Butcher's Dresden Files.

Kalam - MBF again. I hate to just play the fanboy, but every scene Kalam has had in the entire series has been pure win.

Five Fave Female characters in Fantasy Lit

Apsalar - MBF.

Anita Blake - LKHamilton's Executioner. To be clear, only the first ten books count.

Nyneave - RJ/BS' WoT. Haters can be hating all they want but her Crowning Moments of Awesome in that series are AWESOME.

Mara - Feist/Wurts' Empire trilo. A genuinely interesting female character and not at all a warrior.

Lady - Cook's Black Company's most interesting character by far. So much so that i took out Gemmel's Karis to put Lady in this Top 5.

Five Fave non-gender/weird/non-human characters in Fantasy Lit

Ellegon - from Rosenberg's under-rated Guardians of the Flame series, possibly the most sarcastic dragon in the history of dragons.

The Weavers - Mieville's Bas-Lag creations, wholly inhuman.

The Shrike - from Simmons' Hyperion series. SF, but barely, and wholly inhuman.

Mouse - Harry Dresden's dog. hee hee...

Stormbringer - Of Moorcock's Elric series. If you've read it you know why.

This post has been edited by Abyss: 23 November 2010 - 02:49 PM

THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#60 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 23 November 2010 - 04:18 AM

Top 5 Male Characters
Harry Dresden (Dresden Files)

Steerpike (Gormenghast)

Quick Ben (MBotF)

Roland (Dark Tower)

Miles Vorkosigan (Vorkosigan Saga)

Honourary mention to One-Eye (Black Company), who is just awesome, and Gavin and Dazen Guile (The Black Prism), who I found to be great characters (although that might just be the recency effect talking :))

Top 5 Female Characters
Mara of the Acoma (Empire trilogy)

Arya Stark (ASOIAF)

Molly Carpenter (Dresden)

Apsalar (MBOTF)

Lady/Soulcatcher (Black Company - can't choose between them)
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users