• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

been confused about this since book 1 Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   onehitwunder 

• Corporal
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 05 May 2010 - 12:19 AM

Okay so I have been wondering, if burn is the earth of wu then how did humans/"founding races" exist hundreds of thousands of years ago? Burn being awake back then doesn't seem possible since her waking up woulld pwn all life.

#2 User is offline   WhiskeyJackDaniels 

• Emperor

Posted 05 May 2010 - 12:36 AM

Well, there's a couple possible explanations.

1. The earth is her metaphorical body and the source of her power, but she existed as a Mother Dark type of entity. Not walking around in corporeal form like we've seen of Mael and Draconus.

2. She may have been brought about through worship from those early humans, imass, whatever. Them worshipping an "earth mother" may have created one.
So, you're the historian who survived the Chain of Dogs.
Actually, I didn't.

It seems you stand alone.
It was ever thus.

#3 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 05 May 2010 - 03:59 AM

That's not the problem.

The reason to why she sleeps is because of the poison. To rid herself of the poison she'd have to go through some kind of catastrophic purging process that would probably be like earth having a seizure. Think every volcano erupting, tidal waves and the tectonic plates doing a little dance.

While she was awake there wasn't any problems.

#4 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 05 May 2010 - 02:16 PM

Burn is aspected to 'the world'. She isn't the world herself, but the connection is real and powerful, sufficiently so that her link keeps the CG chained (more or less), and if she wakes up (presumably while still chained to the CG), the consequences would be dire. An aspect can be 'taken on' or grown into - (see Apsalar, Karsa, Trull...), so the world was around before Burn showed up and started snoozing, but as of the time of the books, the bond between goddess and world is significant.

I'm not certain tho', whether the dire consequences are as aresult of world upheaval because the aspected goddess is awake and active, or because the CG is freed and pissed and nuts. It's been hinted both ways.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#5 User is offline   onehitwunder 

• Corporal

Posted 05 May 2010 - 03:44 PM

Thanks for clearing that up guys.I couldn't figure out how that worked since SE says the earth is her "flesh"

#6 User is offline   haroos 

• High Fist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 13 May 2010 - 11:31 AM

View Postonehitwunder, on 05 May 2010 - 12:19 AM, said:

Okay so I have been wondering, if burn is the earth of wu then how did humans/"founding races" exist hundreds of thousands of years ago? Burn being awake back then doesn't seem possible since her waking up woulld pwn all life.

it could be that the act of waking up is that turmoil that you speak of, and while she is awake everything is normal
earthquakes and volcanos and oridnary tectonic movement is normal.

i personally believe it's the waking up, since it's mentioned (don't remember exactly where) that she went to sleep, which
means she was awake 1000+ years ago.

btw, im MoI, there's a scene where rath'burn asks brood to use the hammer saying that civilization will be destroyed, not life itself.
there's a further something about this as well.
her waking up will cause problems like in a disaster movie, but many will survive anyway, is how i get it.

This post has been edited by haroos: 14 May 2010 - 02:36 PM

#7 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 14 May 2010 - 10:01 PM

View Postharoos, on 13 May 2010 - 11:31 AM, said:

btw, im MoI, there's a scene where rath'burn asks brood to use the hammer saying that civilization will be destroyed, not life itself.

Yes. They say if Brood swings his hammer it will wake up Burn and destroy civilization (because of the massive natural disasters and tectonic shifts and whatnot), but if Brood doesn't wake up Burn and the CG poisons her entirely while she sleeps it will destroy all life. Brood took the 3rd option of doing nothing for now, which is fine because QB's of putting Pannion in Burn's cave slowed down the CG's poisoning severely (and it would've taken years without Pannion, now it would probably take centuries).

I always saw it as because Burn is fevered her awakening would be violent, especially if brought on by Brood's hammer, but if she were unfevered and unpoisoned she'd be capable of awaking peacefully without the tectonic shifting and catastrophes.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#8 User is offline   Tatterdemalion 

• I sneeze warrens.
  • Interests:Fantasy, cartography, creativity, finding a readership before I'm cast aside by history, roti.
  • Currently working on my Imbalance series.
    Web: joelminty.com
    Twitter: @JoelMinty

Posted 07 June 2010 - 05:01 AM

She took some Nyquil, drowsy formula. She's fine. I bet we never hear anything about Burn in book 10. I bet Quick's journey is her only cameo.
Author of Purge of Ashes.
Sayer of "And Nature shall not abide."

#9 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 07 June 2010 - 10:34 PM

View PostTatterdemalion, on 07 June 2010 - 05:01 AM, said:

She took some Nyquil, drowsy formula. She's fine. I bet we never hear anything about Burn in book 10. I bet Quick's journey is her only cameo.

i`ll take that bet. cuz olar ethil is riding high on the "earth awakened to vengeance" hog right now. also, burn will have something to do with the finale, she has to, the CG is chained to her flesh
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#10 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 07 June 2010 - 10:39 PM

If Burn wakes up in a vengeful mood and there's a confrontation with Olar Ethil, that would definitely brighten my day.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#11 User is offline   Tatterdemalion 

• I sneeze warrens.
  • Interests:Fantasy, cartography, creativity, finding a readership before I'm cast aside by history, roti.
  • Currently working on my Imbalance series.
    Web: joelminty.com
    Twitter: @JoelMinty

Posted 08 June 2010 - 03:50 AM

Your logic is no match for my random guess, Sinisdar! :D
Author of Purge of Ashes.
Sayer of "And Nature shall not abide."

#12 User is offline   Tyrant 

• You shall reap it

Posted 11 June 2010 - 07:18 PM

Hang on, I thought Olar Ethil IS Burn? That's certainly what she claims when she's reeling off the list of all the names she's known by. Though quite why she would be awake and walking the Earth never really made sense to me.

This post has been edited by Tyrant: 11 June 2010 - 07:19 PM

#13 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 11 June 2010 - 11:11 PM

she may have once been burn, or had the same aspect of burn, but olar ethil herself has sacrificed a lot to the tellann ritual, including any control over burn, vicariously or directly

imo of course

This post has been edited by Sinisdar Toste: 11 June 2010 - 11:11 PM

There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#14 User is offline   Lucky Revenant 

• Corporal

Posted 13 June 2010 - 11:39 PM

A lot of people also think Olar Ethil was just boasting and that most of what she said was not true.

#15 User is offline   GruntlesTigerFangs 

• Recruit

Posted 14 June 2010 - 04:21 AM

The errant, knuckles, and kilamandaros said olar was stripped of many of her powers, so my guess would be along the lines of her not being able to control her other 'forms' or something due to the being dead and all..

#16 User is offline   Excellence 

• High Fist

Posted 27 June 2010 - 05:42 AM

If she slept because of the poison, then why is that a problem now when she's been sleeping for over 1100yrs and several Chainings, the most recent about a decade ago when Kellanvend was Shadowthrone?
If there were no smart people others wouldn't feel inadequate.

Right?

#17 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 27 June 2010 - 06:06 AM

If you go into a coma because you are sick, do you then expect to get better just because you are unconscious?

The chainings and their increased frequency is a sign that the Crippled God is growing stronger and his influence grows. He pumps pain and suffering, a virulent chaotic disease, right into the flesh of Burn which he is chained to. As long as the Crippled God is chained to Burn she won't get better, she'll only get worse.

Burn is dying. She has maybe a hundred years left in her, all though the insertion of Omotose Phellack into her warren may have helped.

#18 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 01 July 2010 - 02:53 PM

View PostAptorian, on 05 May 2010 - 03:59 AM, said:

That's not the problem.

The reason to why she sleeps is because of the poison. To rid herself of the poison she'd have to go through some kind of catastrophic purging process that would probably be like earth having a seizure. Think every volcano erupting, tidal waves and the tectonic plates doing a little dance.

While she was awake there wasn't any problems.

So when Poliel sought to heal Burn, was she just trying to destroy all humanity so that Burn wouldn't feel bad about ridding the poison, erupting volcanoes etc?

#19 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 01 July 2010 - 06:23 PM

I believe that is the case.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#20 User is offline   Excellence 

• High Fist

Posted 04 July 2010 - 11:04 AM

Yep. Took me a while to work that but that's the gist. Hood forbid Erikson could just say things simply... but where'd the fun be, hey?
If there were no smart people others wouldn't feel inadequate.

Right?

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users