Malazan Empire: Summarising RotCG - Spoilers Wanted - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Summarising RotCG - Spoilers Wanted So potentially lots of spoilers!

#1 User is offline   Chiggerflea 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 02 May 2010 - 06:43 PM

I'd like to precede this post by saying that I hope this doesn't turn into an argument about ICE's writing.

I last tried to read RotCG about 6 months ago or more, and I really struggled. I stopped about two-thirds of the way in. For whatever reason, I could not latch onto anything to retain my interest. Maybe I'm a fussy reader.

Even now I find it difficult to recall the major characters and sequence of events that took place. All that I can remember...
Spoiler

Anyway, I'm re-reading the main series and almost about to begin TtH. Therefore I humbly ask anyone to fill the gaps in my memory and summarise the various plot threads and events that occur in RotCG. Particularly the last third of the book.
Spoiler

Much appreciation to anyone who can help.

#2 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 02 May 2010 - 06:57 PM

Laseen is killed by an assassin brought in my Mallick Rel (Vorcan's daughter, in a bid for revenge as she believes it was the Malazan Empire that killed her mother). It happens after a battle between the Talian League, led by the Old Guard, is defeated by the loyal forces of the Empire outside of Li Heng. Further, after that battle takes place, the Crimson Guard who had stolen a march on the two forces, steps up to the plate, but is defeated by the combined forces of the two after a desperate Warren aided charge by the Wickans.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#3 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 02 May 2010 - 07:14 PM

View PostH.D., on 02 May 2010 - 06:57 PM, said:

Laseen is killed by an assassin brought in my Mallick Rel (Vorcan's daughter, in a bid for revenge as she believes it was the Malazan Empire that killed her mother). It happens after a battle between the Talian League, led by the Old Guard, is defeated by the loyal forces of the Empire outside of Li Heng. Further, after that battle takes place, the Crimson Guard who had stolen a march on the two forces, steps up to the plate, but is defeated by the combined forces of the two after a desperate Warren aided charge by the Wickans.

then the mages from the pit drop in on a ship and Yath opens a rent to chaos which is closed using some moranth munitions. however, prior to this tayschrenn steps up to yath and they both get sucked in to the portal. cowl and topper duel and cowl allows himself to be taken by the deadhouse and then when everything seems to be all wrapped up, BAM! Taya with the stiletto in laseens back
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#4 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 02 May 2010 - 09:33 PM

You know...it actually reads better in summary. Wtf? XD

The people from the ship Toste is talking about are prisoners from the Otataral Island, just fyi, who show us that even prolonged exposure to the dust overcome.

Also, the Crimson Guard has its own internal power-play that goes on during the major battle with the Empire, where the allies of Cowl and Skinner go in a different direction to those of Shimmer/the K'azz loyalists. And the Empire is having its own clean-up/assassin battle between the Claw and Mallick Rel's Glove, which has basically assimilated all of the Claw except for Possum and the new Imperial High Mage who poses as Rallick's right-hand member in the organisation, but spends most of the battle killing his servants (who are in turn trying to kill Avowed and the remaining non-Glove members of the Claw).

Oh, and Dassem/Traveller shows up and battles Skinner in his Ardata-given armour, eventually defeating Skinner with a blow to the unarmoured throat part of his suit. Skinner retreats. And before this Temper and Ferrule show up and try and fight Skinner just to force Dassem into action.

And Greymane also has a crack at Skinner too, though he gets his ass handed to him its implied that his gigantic stone sword we see early on may have made the outcome different...

So...yeah...damn that makes it sound so awesome. XD

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#5 User is offline   maro 

• Fist

Posted 03 May 2010 - 05:11 AM

I liked it all - the only issue for me was why the Mages arrive. I presume this is a plot device for the next book?

As an aside, I was sparring with some WMA guys and I got "Skinnered" by a shinai across the throat. It was most disconcerting ;)

#6 User is offline   Chiggerflea 

• Recruit

Posted 03 May 2010 - 06:18 AM

Thanks guys! Some of the book's details are coming back to me now.

A few more questions though.

- So the Wickans helped the Malazans? ;)
- What was Tayschrenn up to and what happened to him at the end?
- I read somewhere else that Mallick Rel became emperor but lost his Jhistal powers - how and why?

#7 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 03 May 2010 - 06:58 AM

The Wickans helped the Malazans in order to force them into accepting new treaties with the Wickans. This would ofc involve retaining/regaining all their former land and stopping the purge against them. Granted, a good plan, except that now it appears Mallick Rel will step to the Imperial plate and probably screw them over.

Tay was playing the long game, as usual. He avoided getting involved so that he'd be free to step in to stop the void-orb-thing Yath made, which is what he got sucked into when someone or other (was it Taya? Or the silver-haired Avowed chick? Can't remember) snuck up and knifed him. Presumably he is now floating in chaos somewhere.

Mael finally decided to bitchslap Mallick back into his place, breaking free of the snake's hold on him. Can't remember the exact details...I think a resurgence of his worshippers in the general population gave him the strength to do it. But yes, Rel as the only man with enough political clout at that time to take the throne is now Emperor of Malaz. Gonna be a great plot, that. ;)

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#8 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 03 May 2010 - 08:03 AM

Also, Mallick Rel has Korbolo Dom arrested.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#9 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 03 May 2010 - 03:04 PM

View PostSilencer, on 03 May 2010 - 06:58 AM, said:

Tay was playing the long game, as usual. He avoided getting involved so that he'd be free to step in to stop the void-orb-thing Yath made, which is what he got sucked into when someone or other (was it Taya? Or the silver-haired Avowed chick? Can't remember) snuck up and knifed him. Presumably he is now floating in chaos somewhere.

It was more playing the long game until that happened, as it was something he couldn't ignore.

Plus Kyle and the dudes from Assail (oh, those guys were from Assail) go running around and Kyle is all I DON'T KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON and then they run into Traveller and Ereko and tell them where they're going and Ereko is like HEY, THAT PLACE IS WHERE I'M GOING TO GET SUICIDED BY KALLOR and they go and he gets suicided by Kallor who is out of character'd out of there and then Ereko dies and turns to dirt and Traveller is sad and Kyle is BAWWWWWWWWW ANGST ANGST ANGST THIS GUY I BARELY KNEW IS DEAD I'M GOING TO BLAME HIS FRIEND FOR HIS DEATH AND GENERALLY BE A FUCKBIN and then he gets a braincell and realises he's hurt Traveller a lot and apologises and then he and Traveller meet Shadowthrone and Cotillion and Shadowthrone is all CHECK OUT MY PIMP CANE BITCHES and Cotillion is like I'M TOO COOL FOR SCHOOL and greet Traveller who is shock horror Dassem Ultor the Swordarian and Kyle is pretty sure his magic demonkilling sword shouldn't be too hot to touch and drops it so it melts and then Osserc comes out of it going WOOOOOOOOAH, THAT'S SOME GOOD SHIT, I THOUGHT I WAS A SWORD FOR A WHINGING CHILD FOR WEEKS and then the dream team line up against him with Shadowthrone Cotillion and Dassem Ultor going YEAH YOU AIN'T SO TOUGH and Osserc's like HEY HEY, STOP HARSHING MY BUZZ, MAN, THAT IS NOT COOL and then HEY KID, YOU LOOK LIKE A FARMBOY, YOU NEED A MAGIC SWORD TO GO WITH THAT INCOMPREHENDING EXPRESSION and gives him his white sword and Kyle is all I DON'T KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON EVEN HARDER and somewhere around then they meet up with K'azz D'av''ore' who's been missing due to the superfluous apostrophe syndrome that plagues the fantasy genre of late and is like YEAH, I'VE BEEN ON A BEACH FOR YEARS BUT NOW YOU'RE HERE AND CAN TAKE ME PLACES I'M SUDDENLY MOTIVATED TO GO FIND MY ARMY, THOSE SCAMPS and then he learns what Skinner and Cowl did and goes AWW HELL NAW and they head off to the big awesome battle where an army is fighting a couple of loyal guardsmen on a bridge and K'azz goes TO ME MY GHOST EMPLOYEES and uses them to tell everyone that Skinner and Cowl are a couple of bitches and then Dassem leaves to go to a better plotline and Kyle and the dudes from Assail (who are badass and from Assail and... er...) take turns on the bridge and Kyle's magic sword is frictionless and cuts through everything so one of the more competent fighters grabs him by the ankles and swings him back and forth until the enemy go away and then Greymane shows up going PARTY AT MY PLACE and Dassem comes back to say GOOD RIDDANCE YOU COMPLAINING PILE OF REFUSE, THE ONLY SAVING GRACE YOU HAVE IS THAT YOU AREN'T GHELEL and leaves to go wrestle a bear in TTH and Kyle goes I STILL HAVE NO FUCKING IDEA WHAT'S GOING ON and everyone else in the book says WE KNOW DAMN IT, SHUT UP

Oh, and Ghelel rides a horse off the face of the planet at some point in the book.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#10 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 03 May 2010 - 08:17 PM

She's escaping in the epilogue I think.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#11 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 03 May 2010 - 09:27 PM

If you would all kindly direct your attention to the post by the Hateful Fowl, I believe you will see how summaries are meant to be done. XD

Shinrei said:

#12 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 04 May 2010 - 12:19 AM

Superfluous apostrophe syndrome is no laughing matter.

Or, maybe not. Yes it is.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#13 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 09 May 2010 - 11:28 PM

View PostIlluyankas, on 03 May 2010 - 03:04 PM, said:

View PostSilencer, on 03 May 2010 - 06:58 AM, said:

It was more playing the long game until that happened, as it was something he couldn't ignore.

Plus Kyle and the dudes from Assail (oh, those guys were from Assail) go running around and Kyle is all I DON'T KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON and then they run into Traveller and Ereko and tell them where they're going and Ereko is like HEY, THAT PLACE IS WHERE I'M GOING TO GET SUICIDED BY KALLOR and they go and he gets suicided by Kallor who is out of character'd out of there and then Ereko dies and turns to dirt and Traveller is sad and Kyle is BAWWWWWWWWW ANGST ANGST ANGST THIS GUY I BARELY KNEW IS DEAD I'M GOING TO BLAME HIS FRIEND FOR HIS DEATH AND GENERALLY BE A FUCKBIN and then he gets a braincell and realises he's hurt Traveller a lot and apologises and then he and Traveller meet Shadowthrone and Cotillion and Shadowthrone is all CHECK OUT MY PIMP CANE BITCHES and Cotillion is like I'M TOO COOL FOR SCHOOL and greet Traveller who is shock horror Dassem Ultor the Swordarian and Kyle is pretty sure his magic demonkilling sword shouldn't be too hot to touch and drops it so it melts and then Osserc comes out of it going WOOOOOOOOAH, THAT'S SOME GOOD SHIT, I THOUGHT I WAS A SWORD FOR A WHINGING CHILD FOR WEEKS and then the dream team line up against him with Shadowthrone Cotillion and Dassem Ultor going YEAH YOU AIN'T SO TOUGH and Osserc's like HEY HEY, STOP HARSHING MY BUZZ, MAN, THAT IS NOT COOL and then HEY KID, YOU LOOK LIKE A FARMBOY, YOU NEED A MAGIC SWORD TO GO WITH THAT INCOMPREHENDING Expression and gives him his white sword and Kyle is all I DON'T KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON EVEN HARDER and somewhere around then they meet up with K'azz D'av''ore' who's been missing due to the superfluous apostrophe syndrome that plagues the fantasy genre of late and is like YEAH, I'VE BEEN ON A BEACH FOR YEARS BUT NOW YOU'RE HERE AND CAN TAKE ME PLACES I'M SUDDENLY MOTIVATED TO GO FIND MY ARMY, THOSE SCAMPS and then he learns what Skinner and Cowl did and goes AWW HELL NAW and they head off to the big awesome battle where an army is fighting a couple of loyal guardsmen on a bridge and K'azz goes TO ME MY GHOST EMPLOYEES and uses them to tell everyone that Skinner and Cowl are a couple of bitches and then Dassem leaves to go to a better plotline and Kyle and the dudes from Assail (who are badass and from Assail and... er...) take turns on the bridge and Kyle's magic sword is frictionless and cuts through everything so one of the more competent fighters grabs him by the ankles and swings him back and forth until the enemy go away and then Greymane shows up going PARTY AT MY PLACE and Dassem comes back to say GOOD RIDDANCE YOU COMPLAINING PILE OF REFUSE, THE ONLY SAVING GRACE YOU HAVE IS THAT YOU AREN'T GHELEL and leaves to go wrestle a bear in TTH and Kyle goes I STILL HAVE NO FUCKING IDEA WHAT'S GOING ON and everyone else in the book says WE KNOW DAMN IT, SHUT UP

Oh, and Ghelel rides a horse off the face of the planet at some point in the book.

And then Skinner wakes up on an island and is OH GOD PLEASE SOMEONE SAVE MY EMOTIONLESS, DEPTHLESS CHARACTERIZATION. DON'T LET ME BE LIKE DASSWORD SWORDTOR and so the Crippled God gives him a coupon to show up in the next MBotF book.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#14 User is offline   zenMichael 

• Lieutenant

Posted 12 May 2010 - 01:15 AM

View PostIlluyankas, on 03 May 2010 - 03:04 PM, said:

It was more playing the long game ... planet at some point in the book.

for the love of god will you please sum up all of the books? this will save me a reread before tCG comes out.
Michael T Bradley
Ice on Mars: www.quiptracks.com
Realms Remembered: A chronological read-through (DR) of all the Forgotten Realms novels (youtube.com/rolereviewsal)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users