Malazan Empire: Favorite Dresden reoccuring plot? - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Favorite Dresden reoccuring plot? SPOILERS for all books

Poll: Favorite Dresden reoccuring plot? (28 member(s) have cast votes)

What is the reoccuring plot you most enjoy in the Dresden books?

1. Vampire Courts (2 votes [7.14%])

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

2. The Faerie (7 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

3. The Fallen (11 votes [39.29%])

Percentage of vote: 39.29%

4. Don't make me choose! (3 votes [10.71%])

Percentage of vote: 10.71%

5. A mix of all of the above (5 votes [17.86%])

Percentage of vote: 17.86%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 30 April 2010 - 07:31 PM

Which plot, for lack of a better word, do you most enjoy? I prefer seeing Harry match wits with the Fallen over battling his Godmother or the Vampire Courts. I think it's because I like idea that there are only a handfull Fallen, while with the Vampires there are a lot of cheap mooks for Harry to blast apart (kinda liek the ninja movie theory - 1 ninja in a movie and they are a complete bad ass, many ninja's and they are cannon fodder for 12-year olds to beat up). The Faerie plot-based books are a close second to the Fallen books.
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#2 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 30 April 2010 - 07:43 PM

The only possible choice is a delicious mix of all of the above.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#3 User is offline   Jusentantaka 

• Emperor

Posted 30 April 2010 - 07:47 PM

Went with Fallen, but you missed one: all the regular old wizardy wizard shindigery, with the council and the black magic and the necromancers and the ZOMBIE DINOSAUR.

#4 User is offline   Eddie Dean 

• Sitting in a truckstop, with my cowboy boots and my guitar
  • Interests:Books, Video Games, Movies, Being Lazy
  • Go Cards!

Posted 30 April 2010 - 08:40 PM

The Fallen without a doubt. The scenes involving them are the only ones that really make me worry about Dresden, like "wtf is going to happen." Not that the others aren't great of course. You have to have something fundamentally wrong with you to not love these books.
Uva Uvam Vivendo Varia Fit

#5 User is offline   Animace 

• Corporal

Posted 01 May 2010 - 05:00 AM

View PostJusentantaka, on 30 April 2010 - 07:47 PM, said:

ZOMBIE DINOSAUR.

Win.
We woke up one morning, and fell a little further down
For sure it's the valley of death, I open up my wallet
And it's full of blood

#6 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Writing. Martial arts. Sport. Music, playing and singing, composition.

Posted 06 May 2010 - 12:00 PM

I'd have to say, any appearance by the Knights of the Cross, and/or Mab. _Love_ the Faerie side of things, and am totally stoked about the latest developments in Changes.
It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about nowadays saying things against one, behind one's back, that are absolutely and entirely true.
-- Oscar Wilde

#7 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 06 May 2010 - 02:20 PM

The mix is fascinating because Butcher doesn't hesitate to throw in anything up to and including the kitchen sink. Vampires, Fae, God vs the Devil(s), foreign mythology, etc etc.

But hands down, any development in Harry's dealings with Marcone ALWAYS rocks the book.

- Abyss, loves a good bad guy.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#8 User is offline   Chaeone 

• Irish Expat

Posted 07 May 2010 - 01:51 PM

gotta agree with the marcone point, the interactions between harry and the don are awesomesauce. i mean, they loathe each other, but also have a deep mutual respect. love the way harry can't really hate him due to the facty he always shows those glimmers of a deep humanenss (is that even a word? well, it is now) and i hope there is more of marcone's "status" now that he is recognised by the magical world as a power in his own right.

also, marcone has a valkyrie on call, i mean seriously, thats gotta score him some serious kudos.

MODGOD NOTICE OF THREAD SPLIT - three posts below this one moved to new thread 'Marcone'

This post has been edited by Abyss: 07 May 2010 - 05:55 PM
Reason for edit: ...because Marcone is so cool he demands his own thread.

#9 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 10 August 2010 - 11:46 AM

I enjoy the vampire courts. I like how they range from the small fry against whom Harry can show how bad ass he is to the insanely powerful. I also like how its more of, if I can use the term, more day to day supernatural enemies than say fallen angels or what have you.

#10 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Writing. Martial arts. Sport. Music, playing and singing, composition.

Posted 10 August 2010 - 01:04 PM

I must say, more and more I'm enjoying Harry's changing relationship with the White Council, and the Senior Council in particular.
It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about nowadays saying things against one, behind one's back, that are absolutely and entirely true.
-- Oscar Wilde

#11 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 11 August 2010 - 04:08 PM

View PostCause, on 10 August 2010 - 11:46 AM, said:

I enjoy the vampire courts. ..

I remain hideously curious about the Jade Court.

View Postjitsukerr, on 10 August 2010 - 01:04 PM, said:

I must say, more and more I'm enjoying Harry's changing relationship with the White Council, and the Senior Council in particular.

Totally. TURNCOAT was a significant point in this but it's been evolving since SF in some really interesting ways. There are any number of hints that Harry may yet end up with some role on the Council himself. His history suggests Blackstaff or Gatekeeper are both possible.

As reoccuring plots go, 'just what is Mouse' was one of my favourites, tho i suspect CHANGES may have closed that one off in terms of revelations.

#12 User is offline   Gwynn ap Nudd 

• High Fist

Posted 15 August 2010 - 04:38 AM

My favourite ongoing plot so far is Harry's dealings with Lash.

View PostAbyss, on 11 August 2010 - 04:08 PM, said:

View Postjitsukerr, on 10 August 2010 - 01:04 PM, said:

Totally. TURNCOAT was a significant point in this but it's been evolving since SF in some really interesting ways. There are any number of hints that Harry may yet end up with some role on the Council himself. His history suggests Blackstaff or Gatekeeper are both possible.

I had thought the series up until now suggested that the title of Warden (singular) will be revived, with Harry taking on that role.

#13 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 16 August 2010 - 02:09 PM

View PostGwynn ap Nudd, on 15 August 2010 - 04:38 AM, said:

...I had thought the series up until now suggested that the title of Warden (singular) will be revived, with Harry taking on that role.

i'm blanking - what are you ref'ing?

#14 User is offline   Binder of Demons 

• Lord of Light
  • View gallery
  • - Thread Killer -

Posted 16 August 2010 - 03:05 PM

I've really enjoyed Mouse's continued evolution, and hopefully there'll be a few more surprises there. Not a huge fan of the vampire storylines, but far more interested in the manoeuvrings of Leansidhe and the Faerie queens. I'm also looking forward to seeing who gets the remaining Swords from Harry.

I liked the intro of Odin and am holding out hope for more of the ancient gods making an appearance.

I know not everyone in the books has to be magically significant, but i can't help but feel that Mac is going to turn out to be more than human. Just something about the way he's described throughout the series keeps nagging at me. I can't think of any specific thing to support such a crazy theory, but...

I hope I'm wrong and he's a plain ol' vanilla mortal, but I won't be surprised if there's a reveal at some point. Any ancient gods of food and drink spring to mind?

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain

Never argue with an idiot!
They'll drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!
- Anonymous

#15 User is offline   Gwynn ap Nudd 

• High Fist

Posted 17 August 2010 - 12:55 AM

View PostAbyss, on 16 August 2010 - 02:09 PM, said:

View PostGwynn ap Nudd, on 15 August 2010 - 04:38 AM, said:

...I had thought the series up until now suggested that the title of Warden (singular) will be revived, with Harry taking on that role.

i'm blanking - what are you ref'ing?

I can't recall who brought it up right now, but I'm thinking it was in Turn Coat after Harry bonds with Demonreach, that someone a bit too casually mentions that Warden was once singular and only in recent times have there been numbers of them.

View PostBinder of Demons, on 16 August 2010 - 03:05 PM, said:

I know not everyone in the books has to be magically significant, but i can't help but feel that Mac is going to turn out to be more than human. Just something about the way he's described throughout the series keeps nagging at me. I can't think of any specific thing to support such a crazy theory, but...

I hope I'm wrong and he's a plain ol' vanilla mortal, but I won't be surprised if there's a reveal at some point. Any ancient gods of food and drink spring to mind?

I think Jim has come out and said that we won't find out much about Mac until the final trilogy, if we even do then.

#16 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 17 August 2010 - 04:40 AM

View PostGwynn ap Nudd, on 17 August 2010 - 12:55 AM, said:

I can't recall who brought it up right now, but I'm thinking it was in Turn Coat after Harry bonds with Demonreach, that someone a bit too casually mentions that Warden was once singular and only in recent times have there been numbers of them.

I just read the last 100 pages of Turn Coat, during the Demonreach bonding process and there is no mention of the title of Warden being singular. Perhaps it's somewhere else, but it's not in that location.

I'll be honest - I don't ever remember Dresden or anyone else saying something like that.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#17 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:43 AM

It wasn't in the Demonreach bit, but it is ringing some bells for me. Possibly something Nicodemus said to Harry during their exchange in the Aquarium in Small Favour?
-- Oscar Wilde

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users