Malazan Empire: TOWERS OF MIDNIGHT synopsis and cover (sort of) - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

TOWERS OF MIDNIGHT synopsis and cover (sort of) New cover doesn't quite suck as bad as the last one

#1 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 23 April 2010 - 06:36 PM

The Last Battle has started. The seals on the Dark One's prison are crumbling. The Pattern itself is unravelling, and the armies of the Shadow have begun to boil out of the Blight. Perrin Aybara is hunted by spectres from his past. To prevail, he must find a way to master the wolf within him or lose himself to it forever. Meanwhile, Matrim Cauthon prepares for the most difficult challenge of his life. The Tower of Ghenjei awaits, and its secrets will reveal the fate of a friend long lost. The end draws near. It's time to roll the dice.

Tentative US cover (which may or may not be the final thing, presumably with the big black banner removed).
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#2 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 23 April 2010 - 07:16 PM

!If Rand is not in this book I will be pissed!

#3 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 23 April 2010 - 09:24 PM

View PostCause, on 23 April 2010 - 07:16 PM, said:

!If Rand is not in this book I will be pissed!

Word. So many people say that Mat has the best chapters, but I think Rand's are by far the best. Surely he'll at least be in the book some. Sanderson seemed to be making an effort to have ToM take place after TGS, instead of along it side like he could have.

#4 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 23 April 2010 - 10:02 PM

There is a timeline overlap, but not as extensive as some people have made out. I think we rewind a bit and catch up on Mat and Perrin whilst Rand was going mental at the end of TGS, then the timelines converge and we get a bit of Rand after that point, but not a vast amount.

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Werthead: 23 April 2010 - 10:05 PM

Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#5 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 23 April 2010 - 10:57 PM

Middle paragraph (it's more of a sentence, really) of spoiler = BESTEST NEWS YET
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#6 User is offline   Mischiefs' Folly 

• Tanno Spiritwalker
  • Group: Wiki Contributor

Posted 24 April 2010 - 03:00 AM

When I first started the series I was not the biggest fan of Matt. As the series progressed he grew on me till, soon enough, he was one of my favorite characters. Well, he was while Jordan was writing it. Since Sanderson has taken over, all of the scenes with Matt are forced and unnatural. Thats not to say I don't like Sanderson as writer because I do. I thought he did a great job with Tuon, Perrin, and even Rand as he spiraled into his madness, but...

Point really is I don't know if I could get through half a book of Matt written the way it was in the gathering storm.
Oh, me and my endless folly!

#7 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Writing. Martial arts. Sport. Music, playing and singing, composition.

Posted 26 April 2010 - 03:05 PM

I'd agree with that. Though, on a reread, it's more that the situation is forced and unnecessary than that Mat is badly written. But he's certainly different, and I hope Sanderson has done some work to make his voice more natural.
It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about nowadays saying things against one, behind one's back, that are absolutely and entirely true.
-- Oscar Wilde

#8 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 27 April 2010 - 06:06 PM

I think that scan Jason posted was purposefully a horrible scan. Here's a better one I did from my own program:

Posted Image

There are several errors on here, but the two that stick out the most are:

1. The triangle should be upside-down.

2. There's only one white-haired man. Should be two. Of course, Farstrider might die before they go, but in that case, who is the other guy? He looks to be the same age as Mat, so it's not Olver.

This post has been edited by Terez: 27 April 2010 - 06:08 PM

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, I’m not talking about Donald Trump. I’m talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

#9 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 27 April 2010 - 06:27 PM

The biggest error is the choice of artist.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#10 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 27 April 2010 - 06:33 PM

There's that. But we can't blame 'The Gatering Storm' on him, alas.

There it is.

#11 User is offline   Tarcanus 

• Lord of the Tarcans

Posted 27 April 2010 - 06:55 PM

View PostIlluyankas, on 27 April 2010 - 06:27 PM, said:

The biggest error is the choice of artist.

By now, the terrible artwork is par for the course with the WoT. I find it hard to believe that anyone expects otherwise this many years into the series.

Personally, I find it easier to accept that the artwork will be less than great and enjoy the fact that each cover's artwork matches each others'. Not like Malazan where suddenly the covers were switched to the UK ones here in the US. That ruined my collection's continuity. Now WoT, there's a series where I can count on equally crappy art on EVERY book, without a changeup 3/4 through the series.

#12 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 01 May 2010 - 01:18 PM

The real cover:

Posted Image

There it is.

#13 User is offline   BridgeBurner 

• High Fist

Posted 08 May 2010 - 10:53 AM

Heh, that's better. They took off the red headband from Mat too, and gave him his hat. And the Ashandarei is black now.

I guess that's Thom drawing the foxhead.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users