Malazan Empire: Finished my first BH read - Malazan Empire

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Finished my first BH read And it still get's better...

#21 User is offline   Siergiej 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 18 August 2010 - 03:36 PM

With a relationship like this we can see that the sword, which still only has a small amount of Otataral in it (its not entirely made of Otataral, that would be physically impossible as Otataral seems to be a crystalline material so has to be mixed with normal metals to make a sword), opposing a Spell by the Edur could indeed only defend its immediate surroundings.

However a RAW lump of Otataral, potentially more Otataral than is actually in a sword. In direct contact with a being that is essentially 90% magic, is going to have a much more exponential effect.

What Paran used on Poliel was actually a piece of shattered blade :)

Icarium's story was his best appearance so far, though I was confused at the transition between Mappo Trell and Taralack Veed. When and how did this occur so suddenly?

Every time Icarium is about to go into WORLD ENDS NOW mode he loses memory. After Ic's fight with Dejim Nebrahl, Taralack Veed came from around the corner and said: "Hi buddy! Let's continue our everlasting journey and do some grim shit because you are the man when it comes to grim shit!". Icarium thought it was a plausible explanation and went to Lether with Taralack. What happened then, You will see in RG :D

This post has been edited by Siergiej: 18 August 2010 - 03:37 PM

#22 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 08 February 2011 - 10:49 AM

One part of the book I kinda liked was when Stormy, QB and Kalam, I think, were having dinner in the warren and Stormy pretty much dismissed all the players in the "game" except Shadowthrone and Cotillion. I thought that was a great conversation.
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#23 User is offline   PleaseStopIt 

• Recruit

Posted 25 February 2011 - 02:25 PM

I think Bonehunters is excellent, came out pretty clear.

Just have one gripe with it, I absolutely hate Heboric. The winging and constant moping... he's got his reasons but dear lord... it grates.

#24 User is offline   Adjutant Stormy~ 

• Captain, Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 25 February 2011 - 09:39 PM

The Bonehunters is by far my favorite.

And to clear a few things up:
Mael's Jhistal Priest, Mallick Rel, holds significant sway over Mael, by the nature of his position. The Jhistal is a ritual of sorts, a binding, and I think it's got something to do with blood being the source of power. Regardless, Mael does not necessarily hold the upper hand in their relationship.

Karsa's story is definitely one of the long-game plotlines. I mean, he's been in so many books, often on his lonesome, and I think it's not unreasonable to think that he's being built into a player of major events to come.

The end of the book was literally my favorite chunk of paper that has ever crossed my hands. Bar none.
<!--quoteo(post=462161:date=Nov 1 2008, 06:13 PM:name=Aptorian)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Aptorian @ Nov 1 2008, 06:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=462161"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God damn. Mighty drunk. Must ... what is the english movement movement movement for drunk... with out you seemimg drunk?

bla bla bla

Peopleare harrasing me... grrrrrh.

Also people with big noses aren't jews, they're just french

EDIT: We has editted so mucj that5 we're not quite sure... also, leave britney alone.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#25 User is offline   Kim Bookreader 

• Recruit

Posted 09 March 2011 - 02:34 PM

I also just finished the book and I'm taking a small breather.

But I'm unsure if I should go with RotCG or RG first. I saw on wiki that RotCG is after in chronology, but then I have to wait longer for answers and how the story continues :(

Whats the advice?

Thanks.

#26 User is offline   tromedlov87 

• Recruit

Posted 24 May 2011 - 09:38 AM

Alright, I'll add my name to the "just finished BH" list. I liked it quite a bit, although I found it to be somewhat uneven overall. With every other book, there's a sense of overall flow and structure; you sort of know where the book is going and what's going to be the big ending, but with this book it wasn't so obvious (at least to me). I mean, in DHG you knew the ending would involve the Chain arriving at Aren and Kalam confronting Laseen, in MOI it was clear that the end would be a final assault on the Seer, etc., but this book... I don't know, it just felt like the more momentous scenes were a bit more sudden and out of nowhere than usual. I'm not saying they weren't good, they were just... I don't know, it's hard to put it into words. I think this book might have been the most "BAM! Must read this whole section" book I've read in quite a while. By that, I mean sections that sort of come out of nowhere but are so good that as soon as they start, you have to read the whole bit in one go.

This book also seemed to suffer a bit from "middle book" syndrome in that several plotlines almost seemed to exist just to remind us about certain characters and to get them moving from point A to point B, like Karsa's plot. Some others felt a bit pointless overall, but I'm willing to give Erikson the benefit of the doubt on those since he's brought plotlines that seemed a bit pointless to fruition several times before.

Overall, great book, and it really brought some great plotlines further along and is really making me look forward to the next books!

Also, it gave me one of my favorite lines in the series so far:

(paraphrasing)

Quick Ben: You know who just saved all of our lives? Ganoes Paran.
Kalam: I'm not too surprised, but how do you know that?
Quick Ben: I heard him talking, at Hood's gate
Kalam: Why the hell were you THERE?
Quick Ben: Well, we were all about to die...
Kalam: So you wanted to beat the rush?

I laughed for a good long while at that.

#27 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 24 May 2011 - 07:58 PM

I think perhaps removing the word "pointless" from your vocab for the duration of reading the series is a good idea. From BH on, there's a lot more thematic rumination and resonance as opposed to purely plot-driven or plot-driving events. Which isn't to say plotting gets short shrift either, because it's still just as awesome as ever and there are payoffs galore...but they become even more surprising and un-anticipatable, if you can believe it. It's just that from BH on, SE really picks up on the long arc.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#28 User is offline   MadrunBadrun 

• Recruit

Posted 05 June 2011 - 03:17 AM

View Posttromedlov87, on 24 May 2011 - 09:38 AM, said:

Alright, I'll add my name to the "just finished BH" list. I liked it quite a bit, although I found it to be somewhat uneven overall. With every other book, there's a sense of overall flow and structure; you sort of know where the book is going and what's going to be the big ending, but with this book it wasn't so obvious (at least to me). I mean, in DHG you knew the ending would involve the Chain arriving at Aren and Kalam confronting Laseen, in MOI it was clear that the end would be a final assault on the Seer, etc., but this book... I don't know, it just felt like the more momentous scenes were a bit more sudden and out of nowhere than usual. I'm not saying they weren't good, they were just... I don't know, it's hard to put it into words. I think this book might have been the most "BAM! Must read this whole section" book I've read in quite a while. By that, I mean sections that sort of come out of nowhere but are so good that as soon as they start, you have to read the whole bit in one go.

This book also seemed to suffer a bit from "middle book" syndrome in that several plotlines almost seemed to exist just to remind us about certain characters and to get them moving from point A to point B, like Karsa's plot. Some others felt a bit pointless overall, but I'm willing to give Erikson the benefit of the doubt on those since he's brought plotlines that seemed a bit pointless to fruition several times before.

Overall, great book, and it really brought some great plotlines further along and is really making me look forward to the next books!

Also, it gave me one of my favorite lines in the series so far:

(paraphrasing)

Quick Ben: You know who just saved all of our lives? Ganoes Paran.
Kalam: I'm not too surprised, but how do you know that?
Quick Ben: I heard him talking, at Hood's gate
Kalam: Why the hell were you THERE?
Quick Ben: Well, we were all about to die...
Kalam: So you wanted to beat the rush?

I laughed for a good long while at that.

And then when he was talking about all the bodies being sort of comforting, with Kalam agreeing, that was pretty funny too in a twisted sort of way.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users