Malazan Empire: Should MBOTF be a film series or a tv series? - Malazan Empire

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Should MBOTF be a film series or a tv series? totally hypothetical...

#21 User is offline   kingnothing 

• Sergeant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 12 April 2010 - 10:45 AM

no wait malazanimation....phew now that sounds better

#22 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 12 April 2010 - 10:48 AM

It's too big for even a trilogy. A mini-series would have to be done. Plus, I'm worried about transferring such a multi-storyline multi-character series onto the screen; it'd be hard to put everything in a comprehensible TV series without seeding confusion among people who never read it.
Maybe a full-blown series.

A side story film wouldn't hurt though - depicting something not covered in the books. Like maybe the fall of the human First Empire. Or the conquest of the Genabackis Free Cities up north. However, there'd still be tonnes of stuff that would need to be explained, and brief explanations of Wu wouldn't do it justice, could even turn out worse than no explanations at all.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#23 User is offline   T'renn 

• First Sword
  • Cussing Forevah

Posted 12 April 2010 - 02:22 PM

You could center a tv series around Fidler (only books he isn't in, are 5 and 8) with mayor events like the chain of dogs, MT and TtH, NoK and RotCG transformed in movies
...Every tale is a gift,
And the scars bourne by us both,
are easily missed,
In the distance between us.

-Fisher-

Don't be blind,
Mind,
To be kind,
For you will find,

Kindness has its own rewards,
and each must find his way to heaven

-T.D. Mengerink-

#24 User is offline   Garak 

• Emperor
  • Interests:40k, Star Wars, Babylon 5, WW2, A Song of Ice and Fire, the Drenai series, the Riftwar and all that followed it, D&D, Vikings, the Malazan Book of the Fallen. I think you get the gist of it.

Posted 12 April 2010 - 02:43 PM

It still wouldn't work in movie format. You'd need a trilogy to tell one book properly and that still begs the question of how do you show the internal conflict (or Kruppe's narator moments in TTH)? To much stuff will be left out.
The meaning of life is BOOM!!!

#25 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 12 April 2010 - 03:38 PM

wasnt there an interview somewhere saying SE knew exactly how to bring the series cinema/tv but if he told a producer his plans they would have a heart attack lol... would love to know what hes thinking

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#26 User is offline   Tatterdemalion 

• I sneeze warrens.
  • Interests:Fantasy, cartography, creativity, finding a readership before I'm cast aside by history, roti.
  • Currently working on my Imbalance series.
    Web: joelminty.com
    Twitter: @JoelMinty

Posted 13 April 2010 - 12:55 AM

Genndy Tartakovsky IS Samurai Jack. And the actually good (so I hear) Star Wars Clone Wars.

As for a theme song for this theoretical show, I hope they go with the early '90s X-MEN cartoon theme only with a poem by Fisher being rapped over top. That shit would be mad wicked.
Author of Purge of Ashes.
Sayer of "And Nature shall not abide."

#27 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 16 April 2010 - 06:48 PM

Wiki article: RotK TV Series']
Romance of the Three Kingdoms (simplified Chinese: 三国演义; pinyin: Sān Guó Yǎn Yì) is a 1994 historical drama TV series produced by CCTV. It is based on Romance of the Three Kingdoms, one of the Four Great Classical Novels. It spanned a total of 84 episodes, with each episode being approximately 44 minutes long.

A production team of about 1000 people took four years to complete the massive project. More than 400,000 civilian participants were recruited, including divisions of the PLA. It is CCTV's most expensive TV series production up to date.

Most of the dialogues spoken by the characters were adapted directly from the novel. Extensive battle scenes were live acted, such as the Battle of Guandu, Battle of Red Cliffs and Battle of Xiaoting.

^^something like that.

This post has been edited by D'rek: 16 April 2010 - 06:49 PM

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#28 User is offline   Chiggerflea 

• Recruit

Posted 18 April 2010 - 02:43 PM

Don't think MBOTF would work as either, even a long running TV series, unless a lot of creative license was taken to alter the pace of the plot, trim down the number of characters, etc.

Episodic productions also demand some kind of thematic and/or character-centric mini-story contained in each 42-minute show. Execs and financers will demand a rigid beginning/middle/end structure, and they will probably baulk at the complexity and intellectual philosophising. This would be too much like bashing a square peg into a round hole, with how Erikson plays around with narrative structures. Which is why he is so great.

Practically, i think it would work better as an animation, which has probably been suggested before. Animation has been more avant-garde in terms of messing around with structure and other filmic conventions.

This post has been edited by Chiggerflea: 18 April 2010 - 02:45 PM

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users