Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Tool what's up with that guy? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   seansword 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 02 April 2010 - 04:33 AM

There has been general consensus that the Barghast arc was pretty weak. I agree, but I like to think that maybe there was a point to it after all.

After the betrayal by the Barghast (and then by Toc), Tool gets pretty disgruntled and jaded about things. I'm wondering if anyone has some speculation about what Tool's roll to come will be.
'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves / Did gyre and gimble in the wabe; / All mimsy were the borogoves, / And the mome raths outgrabe.
"Beware the Jabberwock, my son! / The jaws that bite, the claws that catch! / Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun /The frumious Bandersnatch!"
He took his vorpal sword in hand: / Long time the manxome foe he sought— /So rested he by the Tumtum tree, /And stood awhile in thought.

#2 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 02 April 2010 - 04:42 AM

To slay those who claim the Barghast arc had no point.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#3 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 02 April 2010 - 04:45 AM

I think Tool is going to have a reckoning with someone, and most likely that person will be Olar Ethil. She is the person responsible for his not being allowed into his "afterlife", and not Toc. He's already declared "humanity" his enemy, but we'll see how long the emo can keep up that sort of flawed hatred.

Also, Worrywort made me Lol.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#4 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 02 April 2010 - 05:00 AM

Tool's role...is to be a massive Tool.

HEY-OH
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#5 User is offline   Ulrik 

• Highest Marshall of Mott Irregulars
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 02 April 2010 - 08:34 AM

There was general consesus? I do not think so.
For me (OK, Im not general) it was same importance as BHs...and little bit more realistic.

Tool will make his personal vendetta against Sennan (or he did?) and after that...well, I hope he kicks Olar Ethils ass... But I think SE will drive him into some action like "attack Bolakndo queen and ruin the day" and we will cry in despair...:)
Adept Ulrik - Highest Marshall of Quick Ben's Irregulars
Being optimisticīs worthless if it means ignoring the suffering of this world. Worse than worthless. Itīs bloody evil.
- Fiddler

#6 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 02 April 2010 - 05:54 PM

Man, I was so pissed that SE brought Tool back. I was praying that, for one of the few times in the series, he'd actually kill off one semi-main character. Not because I hate Tool, but because the big emotional moment where Tool sacrifices himself for the Barghast was considerably dulled since he didn't die.

Unwillingness to let dead characters stay dead (yes, there are a few exceptions, but for every character who dies and doesn't come back there are five who do), and poorly written romance are, for me, the two main flaws in SE's writing.
uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#7 User is offline   Ulrik 

• Highest Marshall of Mott Irregulars
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 02 April 2010 - 06:19 PM

Well, for me is re-undead Tool much more tragic character. Noble sacrifice? Eh, leave it to more optimistic series. Crush him, let him be betrayed by best friend, see his wife raped and dead, entry to paradise locked...damn, for me it isnt some flaw, its brutal tragedy of poor creature which Tool is...

Its nice example that resurrection isnt always happy. Also this leitmotif is key for his and Toc´s destiny. Both dragged from one realm to another, both lost all they have, both betrayed by allies, missing each other in cruel joke and when finally met - only another bitter forced betrayal. I didnt see it cheap...just too overwhelming. 

This post has been edited by Ulrik: 02 April 2010 - 06:20 PM

Adept Ulrik - Highest Marshall of Quick Ben's Irregulars
Being optimisticīs worthless if it means ignoring the suffering of this world. Worse than worthless. Itīs bloody evil.
- Fiddler

#8 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 02 April 2010 - 07:27 PM

I cant really see which way Tools gonna go. I suppose hes been one of the longest serving characters so I would like a MOI style rampage to Kolanse, though I could just as easily see him going the other way and, I dunno, kill the Adjunct (if shes still going, which she will be). That would be very ironinc Tool killing an Adjunct. *Sigh* cant wait for this but am in serious need of a reread of RG and DOD before it comes out

#9 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 02 April 2010 - 10:36 PM

I think Tool is headed to wherever there are more Barghast left...which means towards wherever the Bolkando/Perish/Barghast group is going. But with how weird death is for everybody right now, something might happen to snap him out of his rage...or redirect it towards someone more deserving (Olar Ethil as H.D. suggests). Dead Hetan herself might be able to communicate with him somehow, or Toc the Younger will have his chance to undo what he was forced to do, who knows? I know the permeability of death can be a little annoying in terms of making deaths mean less ultimately, but it's still pretty rare, and I kind of like it as a theme overall. The Jaghut warred against Death, the Imass have the Tellan ritual, the human First Empire tried their own hand at immortality, Kallor has his curse, Andarist forsook the blood of Tiam...in a world where gods are certain to exist, and humans at least have an afterlife, there's a still whole lot of people who are scared of dying (and some who are not). It just makes me curious.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#10 User is offline   Hellian's Keg Lid 

• Shiksa Goddess

Posted 03 April 2010 - 10:33 AM

I keep thinking an encounter with the Snake to be honest. Badalle says she holds Hetan's soul too, and there was much made of the death of children at the hands of the Imass. Plus the T'lan Imass, name eludes me, whose family were snackboxes for the K'Chain Che'malle.

It makes sense to me that at some point those three forces will mush into each other, thwack thwack.
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow.

#11 User is offline   Kettle's Crisp 

• Recruit

Posted 06 April 2010 - 08:57 AM

I'd rather Tool die and come back a few more times than read about the Snake and their bloody poetry. I'm guessing (hoping) that Tool will confront Olar Ethil and then spend the rest of eternity in the refugium with Toc making arrows.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users