• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Tayschrenn's Warrens Typo?

#1 User is offline   Vesper 

• Cadre Mage: Non-Expendable Army
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 01 April 2010 - 03:24 AM

In GotM Tayschrenn is described as wielding the warren Telas (fire), which Tattersail finds anathema to her own Thyr (light). Tayschrenn goes on to use Telas in the siege of Coral in MoI, as he had against Rake in GotM. Yet, on page 360 of NoK, he uses his Thyr warren to probe the work of the Wandwielders.

Is it possible that, perhaps, Tattersail's negative feelings towards Tayschrenn's warren wasn't based on Telas at all, but his own Thyr? Might he use it in a radically different manner than Tattersail did, leading to inimicability? Or am I reaching and Tayschrenn only had Telas in GotM, and this has been decided to be a GotMism?

Or is it possibly even an editorial error?
Kallor said: 'I walked this land when the T'lan Imass

were but children. I have commanded armies a hundred

thousand strong. I have spread the fire of my wrath

across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones.

Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes,' said Caladan Brood, 'you never learn.'

#2 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 01 April 2010 - 03:41 AM

Tays is a High Mage. Just based off the first few books we know he has access to various warrens. Safe bet that while Telas may be his strongest warren (along with the Demon summoning/binding warren), he has access to others. T'sail was just reacting to the specific warren he was using at the time.

That said, the suggestion that Telas and Thyr are anathematic seems odd.

- Abyss, trusts in SE, SE is good, SE is great...
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#3 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 01 April 2010 - 04:08 AM

View PostAbyss, on 01 April 2010 - 03:41 AM, said:

That said, the suggestion that Telas and Thyr are anathematic seems odd.

Considering the solitary nature of the Eleint, and their unwillingness to cooperate, it's not nearly as odd as it seems at first glance, all things considered. I understand that elementally it seems odd, as it's not a Light/Dark sort of deal, but still. The anathematic stuff are GotM'isms though, aren't they?
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#4 User is offline   Tatterdemalion 

• I sneeze warrens.
  • Interests:Fantasy, cartography, creativity, finding a readership before I'm cast aside by history, roti.
  • Currently working on my Imbalance series.
    Web: joelminty.com
    Twitter: @JoelMinty

Posted 01 April 2010 - 05:47 AM

If Quick Ben has 12, surely Tay can afford two, mais oui?
Author of Purge of Ashes.
Sayer of "And Nature shall not abide."

#5 User is offline   Vesper 

Posted 01 April 2010 - 05:48 AM

View PostMTS, on 01 April 2010 - 04:08 AM, said:

The anathematic stuff are GotM'isms though, aren't they?

That was my question... though I provided theoretic alternatives. As I cannot manage warrens myself (or CAN I?) I can only speculate.

#6 User is offline   Bauchelain the Evil 

• Greatest necromancer ever
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Not much

Posted 01 April 2010 - 09:12 AM

I thought the anathema warren was Hairlock's, who, by how he appeared from darkness and all of that, seemed to be a Rashan mage.

Anyway Tay's warrens seem to be:

High Telas
Thyr
Mockra(if all the talk abut the mind destroying magic is not a GotMism)
Possibly D'riss(seeing how it seems to be the Warren of D'rek, of whom Tay was a High Priest)

This post has been edited by Bauchelain the Evil: 01 April 2010 - 09:13 AM

Adept of Team Quick Ben

I greet you as guests and so will not crush the life from you and devour your soul with peals of laughter. No, instead, I will make tea-Gothos

#7 User is offline   lobo the wolfman 

• Wide Eyed Stupid
  • Interests:Beer, books and heavy metal.

Posted 01 April 2010 - 03:15 PM

Plus he would know Aral Gamelon for sure ( the main warren for demons).
In a world gone mad, we will not spank the monkey, but the monkey will spank us.

#8 User is offline   WhiskeyJackDaniels 

• Emperor

Posted 01 April 2010 - 05:57 PM

Probably Meanas as well considering he was able to disguise himself in MoI. Though that could have been something else I guess.
So, you're the historian who survived the Chain of Dogs.
Actually, I didn't.

It seems you stand alone.
It was ever thus.

#9 User is offline   haroos 

• High Fist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 01 April 2010 - 06:11 PM

"along with the Demon summoning/binding warren" - huh ?
which warren is that ?

#10 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 01 April 2010 - 06:16 PM

Yeah I thought Tattersail had the whole 'anathema' reaction to Hairlock as well, not Tay. Could easily be wrong though.

Aral Gamelon's not really a magic source afawk, just another realm (so far). As QB implies, presumably he uses Hood's Path in the summoning as well, though no doubt he's aware of how Aral Gamelon works and such.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#11 User is offline   lobo the wolfman 

• Wide Eyed Stupid

Posted 01 April 2010 - 06:26 PM

What is a warren if not a another realm, it may not be a source of raw power like Telas or such, but it it is a source of something not native to the normal world (demons such as the Korvalahrai and the Galayn) and to summon such demons would need sorcery of a kind particular to that warren.
In a world gone mad, we will not spank the monkey, but the monkey will spank us.

#12 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 01 April 2010 - 06:34 PM

View Postlobo the wolfman, on 01 April 2010 - 06:26 PM, said:

What is a warren if not a another realm, it may not be a source of raw power like Telas or such, but it it is a source of something not native to the normal world (demons such as the Korvalahrai and the Galayn) and to summon such demons would need sorcery of a kind particular to that warren.

Maybe, maybe not. According to QB most people who summon from Aral Gamelon aren't even aware they're using it. For all we know Tayschrenn doesn't use it all, just teleports there and uses Mockra to bind the inhabitants. Just saying, we've no knowledge of Aral Gamelon = The Path of _______, so it may not be at all the same as the rest.

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#13 User is offline   lobo the wolfman 

• Wide Eyed Stupid

Posted 01 April 2010 - 06:42 PM

True, but due to the fact that Tayschrenn managed to not only summon but bind a Draconian soletaken Galayn lord, leads me to believe that he has quite a fair bit of knowledge about the warren and it's peoples. Enough to know the true nature of it at least, in my mind.

#14 User is offline   Vesper 

Posted 01 April 2010 - 11:38 PM

View PostBauchelain the Evil, on 01 April 2010 - 09:12 AM, said:

I thought the anathema warren was Hairlock's, who, by how he appeared from darkness and all of that, seemed to be a Rashan mage.

View PostD, on 01 April 2010 - 06:16 PM, said:

Yeah I thought Tattersail had the whole 'anathema' reaction to Hairlock as well, not Tay. Could easily be wrong though.

The sensation Tattersail gets occurs immediately when she enters Tayschrenn's tent. I suppose that Hairlock was also present, but there was such emphasis on Tayschrenn's presence that it seemed overwhelmingly the case that Tattersail considered Tayschrenn's warren anathema to her own.

View PostWhiskeyJackDaniels, on 01 April 2010 - 05:57 PM, said:

Probably Meanas as well considering he was able to disguise himself in MoI. Though that could have been something else I guess.

That's because he's a Chimera, as Silverfox says in MoI. He's also called a shape-shifter later on in the series somewhere, suggesting that he can take on multiple appearances, at least.

#15 User is offline   WhiskeyJackDaniels 

• Emperor

Posted 02 April 2010 - 12:10 AM

View PostVesper, on 01 April 2010 - 11:38 PM, said:

The sensation Tattersail gets occurs immediately when she enters Tayschrenn's tent. I suppose that Hairlock was also present, but there was such emphasis on Tayschrenn's presence that it seemed overwhelmingly the case that Tattersail considered Tayschrenn's warren anathema to her own.

That's because he's a Chimera, as Silverfox says in MoI. He's also called a shape-shifter later on in the series somewhere, suggesting that he can take on multiple appearances, at least.

Yea, I think he does that via some combination of meanas and maybe mockra. I don't think he actually shifts his appearance and physically changes. That would be some sort of soletaken abiltiy which I'm pretty sure we've never seen.
So, you're the historian who survived the Chain of Dogs.
Actually, I didn't.

It seems you stand alone.
It was ever thus.

#16 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 02 April 2010 - 12:31 AM

View PostWhiskeyJackDaniels, on 02 April 2010 - 12:10 AM, said:

View PostVesper, on 01 April 2010 - 11:38 PM, said:

Yea, I think he does that via some combination of meanas and maybe mockra. I don't think he actually shifts his appearance and physically changes. That would be some sort of soletaken abiltiy which I'm pretty sure we've never seen.

I imagine he does the same thing that (RotCG spoiler):
Spoiler

#17 User is offline   Blueiron 

• Acolyte of Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 28 November 2010 - 12:25 AM

My thinking is that Aral Gamelon was another realm that existed even before K'rul's "modern" Elder Warrens.
QBFTW!

#18 User is offline   iRFNA 

• Lieutenant

Posted 28 November 2010 - 08:50 PM

Wouldn't it be ironic if a demon from aral gamelon summoned and bound tayschrenn?

#19 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 28 November 2010 - 10:54 PM

*singing in alannis morisette style* it's like galayyy-e-ayyyyyn lords, put tay in a bottle and he realiiiii-i-i-ized he was trapped for all time! and who would have thought, it figures!
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#20 User is offline   Black Company 

• Recruit

Posted 04 April 2011 - 02:08 AM

The very skilled can make their warrens do things that they aren't specifically aspect-ed to. There's that part where Envy "uses her warren to" levitate down or something like that, and Gothos uses Omtose to do the same. Also, there are multiple wards, bindings, spells that sorcerers use and I assume that you can use the energy that you siphon from the warrens for multiple purposes. Not for anything and everything, just saying that you can manipulate it to a certain extent.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users